Beer in Greece

JOHN 57

Hello, my wife and I plan to visit Corfu on the Norwegian Cruise Line GEM, and I always like to sample the local beer. Could anyone help me out.

Thank you, John

Here 'ya go. This is a great beer I enjoyed at a neighborhood restaurant in Athens last summer!!

DSC02015.jpg.7f0dd175c2e0aba1432cfb5e08d2d9b9.jpg

I've read on other travel boards that a lot of the Mythos beer isn't even made in Greece. On the other hand, the Heineken available there often is made in Greece and is pretty good.

Also read there is a microbrew called "Craft" that is worth looking for.

'Alfa' (or possibly 'Alpha') would be another one. I don't have a picture, and as I recall the writing on the labels that I've seen is in Greek. It's pretty similar to Mythos, in fact. Both perfectly pleasant.

My vote and visual sample is for Mythos. The ones we had there in the Plaka were brewed in Greece. We've bought the beer here in the USA and the label said brewed in Greece.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Mythos is the beer to enjoy while dining outdoors in Plaka:

MythosBeer.jpg

At night in Plaka! Lots of fun, food, drinks and shopping there:

PlakaNight.jpg

Here is a very enlightening thread on Greek beer (and wine):

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k2420200-o10-Drinking_the_local_beer_wine_etc-Athens_Attica.html

Vergina also appears to be pretty well recommended.

Terry, see post #14 which is what I had read earlier about the origin of the beer itself.

Here is a very enlightening thread on Greek beer (and wine): http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k2420200-o10-Drinking_the_local_beer_wine_etc-Athens_Attica.html

Vergina also appears to be pretty well recommended. Terry, see post #14 which is what I had read earlier about the origin of the beer itself.

THANKS, Cynthia, for this link! In checking, he noted: "A Greek brand (like Mythos) can be easily made in another country." The key word is CAN. It could be brewed elsewhere. I don't think he said it was brewed outside of Greece for this Mythos beer we had in the Plaka. The technology and brands have been changing and consolidating. Some Guinness purchased in the US is actually brewed in Canada, not Ireland. You need to check the labels to know for sure. Some beers or wines are also produced in their "native" country and then shipped in bulk to be bottled or canned closer to where it will be sold and consumed. There's a difference in the term "brewed" versus "bottled".

Their website notes that Mythos "is the second largest brewery in Greece. The brewery that created 'Mythos' in 1997, the first authentically Greek beer, which has won the hearts of Greek and foreign consumers, and changed the market share in the Greek beer market." They were "established in 1970 under the name Henninger Hellas S.A., and from 1992 has been a member of the BOUTARI GROUP. The production plant is found at Salonica and has 3 production lines with a capacity of 1.1 million hundred-litres of beer per year. The 'birth' of 'Mythos' is the most significant landmark in the history of the company. In its very first year of being launched, Mythos managed to capture second place in its category and third place in overall beer sales, in a market that is both difficult to break into and very wary of new products. In addition to Mythos beer, Mythos Brewery also produces and distributes, in Greece, the German lager Henninger, the German pilsner Kaiser and the Greek lager Golden." They import and distribute Danish Carlsberg, Australia's Foster's, Guinness and Kilkenny.

More info than most want to know. Enjoy the beer while doing your cruising! Terry in Ohio

After a nice ship excursion on Corfu yesterday, we took the shuttle from the ship to the old town center for our cultural experience (AKA sitting in a cafe drinking a beer).

We stopped in a little corner cafe a few blocks from the main street and enjoyed a couple of Mythos beers. (We never checked where it was actually brewed, but to be frank most lagers taste the same - and on a hot afternoon, that taste is GOOD)

Enjoy!

Archived