I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

I finally got back to using my camera....

I've been a little remiss about keeping up with the photography for a while. Another hobby has been eating my time. Wonderful Wife found a platform bed she wanted and since I was unwilling to let go of my camera fund and skip a couple of house payments, I designed and built one for her. Lots of fun and it ended up costing less than an entry-level DSLR!

Link to assembly slide show after the picture...

p201175599-4.jpg

http://galleries.pptphoto.com/bedproject/slideshow

Dave

i finally got back to using my camera....

I've been a little remiss about keeping up with the photography for a while. Another hobby has been eating my time. Wonderful wife found a platform bed she wanted and since i was unwilling to let go of my camera fund and skip a couple of house payments, i designed and built one for her. Lots of fun and it ended up costing less than an entry-level dslr!

Dave

nice!

I finally got back to using my camera....

I've been a little remiss about keeping up with the photography for a while. Another hobby has been eating my time. Wonderful Wife found a platform bed she wanted and since I was unwilling to let go of my camera fund and skip a couple of house payments, I designed and built one for her. Lots of fun and it ended up costing less than an entry-level DSLR!

Link to assembly slide show after the picture...

p201175599-4.jpg

http://galleries.pptphoto.com/bedproject/slideshow

Dave

You have many talents! Wow. A few mortgage payments. Which designer bed was she looking at, and did you copy the design? What type of wood did you use?

Wow Dave that is some spectacular wood working and design. Very nice. The design is amazing that you can apparently take it apart.

Dileep, the photos are of places in Kentlands, Maryland. It is a newly built "old town" that really works well and has been quite successful.

Larry

Thanks to everyone for the comments!

You have many talents! Wow. A few mortgage payments. Which designer bed was she looking at, and did you copy the design? What type of wood did you use?

Not sure of the designer. She showed me the bed and all I really saw was the shape and the price tag. :eek: The design is my own and it was done with transportability in mind (we do hope to move back to California some day) so when disassembled, many of the structural pieces nest inside the exterior skirts. It is constructed of dimensional white pine and plywood with the exterior being red oak, both solid and ¾" furniture-grade plywood. All of the molding and trim profiles were cut and shaped from 1x4 stock.

Dave

Our usual backyard lizard and bird variety has returned in force for the summer...I thought I'd share a few snaps of some of the more colorful or more spiky dinosaur looking backyard visitors:

Here's a Northern Curly Tail sitting on my fencepost:

original.jpg

A green iguana youngster hanging out on the warm cement - they're much more colorful and vibrant green when they're younger:

original.jpg

This is a one-month a year visitor, more rare to spot as they're quite shy - but the past 4 years or so, he's been making occasional appearances along my fence. Last time was 2 years ago, and recently he returned - it's called a Knight Anole:

original.jpg

Of course, birds are descended from dinosaurs, so here's a few of them too. First, my ever-common blue jay, of which there are hundreds in my yard every afternoon - this one is by the front door waiting for some peanut handouts:

original.jpg

I've got a cardinal family living in my backyard - mom, dad, and 3 chicks. I put out seed for them which they come for daily as a family group - mom is very hands-off, sitting at a distance and watching, while dad is the doting father, sitting in the middle of the 3 screaming kids and feeding them. Here's one on the fence to demand some food:

original.jpg

What settings for the close up wild life?

Sorry it took me a while. Both were take from about 7' away

Bird

shutter 1/50

aperture f/5.6

ISO 800

drangon fly

shutter 1/1000

aperture f/7.1

ISO 320

Wow, wow.... and wow!

The wildlife, bird and plant photos are amazing everyone!

Dave, very talented! The bed is really beautiful and does indeed look like it is out of a design catalogue.

Katmich, the bridal photos are really lovely, as is the bride. Looks like it was a perfect day for a wedding.

IMG_6474.JPG

I don't get to take out my DSLR every day, but I do take a bunch of pics on my iPhone.Here lately the skies have been incredible after the storms have rolled through! These were taken this week, so I hope they count ;) I ran them through Chase Jarvis's Best Camera app to help the colors pop!

Absolutely spectacular! Thanks for sharing..

Expecting our first grandchild....so, we need pictures!

5956772792_b73a93face_z.jpg

5956772126_5c7d35e1bd_z.jpg

While we were shooting, we came upon this....

5931851199_5aa6a923ab_z.jpg

I have never taken my camera for a spin at 3200 ISO before. It was heavily wooded and dark.