Reminder: Be vigilant as parents no matter where we are.

Mack2

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10175/1067873-57.stm

The FBI in Pittsburgh has charged a Beaver County man with traveling to Florida and then taking an international cruise so that he could molest a little boy.

Sherwood Stevenson, 72, of Clinton, is charged with traveling with intent to engage in illicit sexual conduct.

FBI Special Agent Tom Carter said video surveillance of the area shows Mr. Stevenson getting into the Jacuzzi next to a 6-year-old boy, putting his arm around him and then pulling him onto his lap.

The boy was there two to three minutes before two adults entered the area, and he ran away, Agent Carter testified. The agent said Mr. Stevenson admitted fondling the boy under his swim trunks and forcing the boy to touch him.

No matter where we are, a cruise ship or an all-inclusive resort, we must remember to remain vigilant against predators.

This is scary, because the predator found time alone on the ship in a jacuzzi for a few minutes before more adults were in the area... but what if the guy abducted the kid to his stateroom?

Frightening.

I don't know of any ship where there are jacuzzis in the children's area. Therefore the child must have been left alone in a jacuzzi with no parent watching him. I would not allow my child (or grandchild) in a public jacuzzi to start with, and certainly not alone.

But I do agree with the OP that we must be careful with our children. Bad things can happen anywhere at any time.

I don't know of any ship where there are jacuzzis in the children's area. Therefore the child must have been left alone in a jacuzzi with no parent watching him. I would not allow my child (or grandchild) in a public jacuzzi to start with, and certainly not alone.

But I do agree with the OP that we must be careful with our children. Bad things can happen anywhere at any time.

I agree completely with you! I've seen young children in adult-only poolside jaccuzis by themselves. Scary!

I hope that this doesn't become a problem with vacations.

I mean, do you think pediophiles go to Disney World on vacation? There's nothing really to stop them from booking a holiday. It's a shame that we get reminded of these things when bad things happen.

I guess vigilance is something we can't forget. We lock up our valuables in the room safes, we make sure to lock our doors, and we don't leave our digital cameras unattended... Just don't forget about the kids, too!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10175/1067873-57.stm

No matter where we are, a cruise ship or an all-inclusive resort, we must remember to remain vigilant against predators.

This is scary, because the predator found time alone on the ship in a jacuzzi for a few minutes before more adults were in the area... but what if the guy abducted the kid to his stateroom?

Frightening.

I blame the parents for this. I would never leave a 6 YO alone anywhere, let alone in a pool/jacuzzi. Shame on the parents for allowing this.

wow, too scary. Luckily he was caught quickly. I can only imagine what damage could have been done because trusting parents let their kids wander without supervision. It only takes a second and these pervents are so very skilled at luring kids. We live in a different society today, always watch your kids, everywhere. I exam child abuse victims for a living so I see this everyday.

I hope that this doesn't become a problem with vacations.

I mean, do you think pediophiles go to Disney World on vacation? There's nothing really to stop them from booking a holiday. It's a shame that we get reminded of these things when bad things happen.

I guess vigilance is something we can't forget. We lock up our valuables in the room safes, we make sure to lock our doors, and we don't leave our digital cameras unattended... Just don't forget about the kids, too!

It's always been an issue on vacations, don't you think? It's not like all of a sudden there are more pedophiles (and other criminals for that matter) or that they all stayed home until recently.

Yes, I think pedophiles go to Disneyworld and other theme parks. You're right that there's nothing to stop them, unless they are registered offenders who are not allowed near children. It is a shame that it sometimes takes an incident like this to remind parents and all of us that the bad guys lurk everywhere. Fortunately, there are more good guys than bad guys.

What's scary is that I read another thread earlier tonight about teens being allowed to roam the ship alone. Some say yes, but only in pairs/groups; some say no; some say no problem. But what was surprising to me were parents who say they allow their 10 year olds to sign themselves out of the kids club and roam the ship on their own--alone. I can't imagine why people think that a cruise ship is a completely secure environment or how they can not understand that a cruise ship is a microcosm of society with all the potential good and bad. The fantasy that a cruise ship is somehow a magical, fairytale place gives some people a false sense of security. OTOH, there are parents who step onboard believing (selfishly and incorrectly) that a cruise equals a vacation from parenting and that the cruise line, crew, and other passengers are responsible for their children.

wow, too scary. Luckily he was caught quickly. I can only imagine what damage could have been done because trusting parents let their kids wander without supervision. It only takes a second and these pervents are so very skilled at luring kids. We live in a different society today, always watch your kids, everywhere. I exam child abuse victims for a living so I see this everyday.

Technology has changed the way these criminals operate, but I don't believe that there are more pedophiles and other criminals than in the past. I believe that we are more aware of them and that their crimes are reported more often. I think we (society in general) take sexual and other abuse far more seriously than in the past. After all, it wasn't so long ago that spousal abuse was considered a "family matter" with police departments shrugging it off. It wasn't all that long ago that rape victims had to prove they fought back (even if the rapist has a gun to their head) and had to show extreme physical damage and had to prove that they didn't "deserve" it based on their clothing, behavior, or where they were. What's changed is awareness, IMO.

beachchick

I don't know of any ship where there are jacuzzis in the children's area.

You don't, then let me show you...see below, there are 5 ships off the top of my head that have them.

And beachchick, you are exactly right. I cringe when I see threads saying "Can my 7/8/9 year old sign out himself/herself out?" um yes, you can on some ships. My next question is WHY would you want to? :confused:

There is no where that my child needs to go alone on a ship.

H2o Zone hot tubs (basically) for kids...

098.jpg

051.jpg

Hi crusinmama06. I'm not surprised that you agree with my sentiments about that because I know from reading your posts that you are a terrific parent and I'm sure your kids are delightful, at least most of the time--after all, they are kids and I've never yet met a perfect child, not even our own. I should also have mentioned that I believe the selfish and inconsiderate parents I mentioned above are the minority, not the majority! I think most parents care about both their kids and the others onboard.

beachchick

You don't, then let me show you...see below, there are 5 ships off the top of my head that have them.

And beachchick, you are exactly right. I cringe when I see threads saying "Can my 7/8/9 year old sign out himself/herself out?" um yes, you can on some ships. My next question is WHY would you want to? :confused:

There is no where that my child needs to go alone on a ship.

H2o Zone hot tubs (basically) for kids...

098.jpg

051.jpg

Then there's the question of why is a 6 year old anywhere near water without supervision. It doesn't matter if the kid can swim or not.

Agreed. I see plenty of children in the hot tubs and pools unsupervised constantly. I am always watching to make sure no one drowns. My kids are still young so I am right there with them at all times but even when they are older I will still be right there watching. I have pulled kids off of banisters on the stairwells before on a cruise with no parent around. You cant trust anyone, anywhere. Dont let your guard down just because you are on vacation. However I will say from working in the field, most childhood sexual abuse is from someone known to the child, stranger rapes are very rare. They do happen though so be vigilant in public places.

From the tone of the article, it implied that the man had gotten into a kids only area. . . . I was not thinking public children's areas. I was thinking kids club.

From the tone of the article, it implied that the man had gotten into a kids only area. . . . I was not thinking public children's areas. I was thinking kids club.

The article said he went to a "children's area and went into the jacuzzi"

No where does it say children's only area.

And then RCI released a statement that was as clear as mud that said it wasn't the children's area -- it was the "Adult Main Pool".

Well, the main pool isn't just for adults. It's actually called the "Family Sports Main Pool" -- guess that got lost in translation when they released the statement. ;)

So no one here is sure if the child was in the Main Pool or in the Adult Only Solarium. Either way they should have tied the guy to the anchor and dragged him back to Miami but that is JMO. :p

The article said he went to a "children's area and went into the jacuzzi"

No where does it say children's only area.

And then RCI released a statement that was as clear as mud that said it wasn't the children's area -- it was the "Adult Main Pool".

Well, the main pool isn't just for adults. It's actually called the "Family Sports Main Pool" -- guess that got lost in translation when they released the statement. ;)

So no one here is sure if the child was in the Main Pool or in the Adult Only Solarium. Either way they should have tied the guy to the anchor and dragged him back to Miami but that is JMO. :p

haha!!! :D I agree

Archived