Jax to get 7 day cruise.

Cristallo

DH and I have been on a number of 4-5 day cruises out of Jax because we live only 50 miles away. We would love to see 7-day cruises all the time. Just when we think the port is going to be moved to Mayport, the city council wimps out again and gives into Mayport. It is a depressed looking area and a cruise terminal would certainly improve it. Maybe someday.....

It is not the people of Mayport who don't want the cruise ship. It is big developers who want to build condos on the beachfront there. They have blocked the public from the Beach in St. Johns Co..and almost all of Duval is blocked now. They have powerful politcal friends. The Port is mostly interested in industrial shipping. Ditto Naval Shipping. They are not enthusiastic but not opposed either. One liberal Editorial Writer for the Florida Times Union..local paper ..does not want a Cruise Port at Mayport. he is concerned with the poor..but does not want them to have jobs and to lose their land. Go figure. People of jacksonville would love to have a cruise port. It brings nice people to town..they spend money..they would certainly be a blessing to the little community of MayPort. Mayport has always been a fishing and boating village. If the Big Developers don't win...it will remain one. If they do..Paradise paved over..again. The hotel area around the port has become a nice place for locals to eat. The Cruise Port and a bigger ship are WIN WINS for Jax...if the greedy developers don't put the fix in.........

It is not the people of Mayport who don't want the cruise ship. It is big developers who want to build condos on the beachfront there. They have blocked the public from the Beach in St. Johns Co..and almost all of Duval is blocked now. They have powerful politcal friends. The Port is mostly interested in industrial shipping. Ditto Naval Shipping. They are not enthusiastic but not opposed either. One liberal Editorial Writer for the Florida Times Union..local paper ..does not want a Cruise Port at Mayport. he is concerned with the poor..but does not want them to have jobs and to lose their land. Go figure. People of jacksonville would love to have a cruise port. It brings nice people to town..they spend money..they would certainly be a blessing to the little community of MayPort. Mayport has always been a fishing and boating village. If the Big Developers don't win...it will remain one. If they do..Paradise paved over..again. The hotel area around the port has become a nice place for locals to eat. The Cruise Port and a bigger ship are WIN WINS for Jax...if the greedy developers don't put the fix in.........

Very interesting, thanks for sharing...

I question the "nice people who spend money"...You're an average Joe/Jane who lives too far to drive to FL booking your vacation. You can fly to miami cheaper than J'Ville, have a higher rated cruise at a cheaper fare. Or perhaps bundle a orlando theme park vacation along with a cruise out of Port Carnival. Therefore for the J'Ville market, I'd imagine you'd get a lot of the locals who'd make a B-Line drive from their house directly to the Mayport who don't stay in hotels or eat food. My point is there will always be money to be made with parking, but I don't think it will be as much as other cruiseports. From a long term standpoint, if there is enough demand and they eventually get higher rated ships, that would change everything.

that's just one person's opinion. everyone I know WANTS the cruise ships here.. the city is right now checking all options for a new location for bigger ships that can't go under the Dames Point Bridge

I personally don't care either way. I'd prefer the area to remain as it is. There are some very nice historical sites in the area as well as some of the most popular public beaches.

As for cruising when my husband and I originally planned to cruise we looked to sail out of Miami because 1) it was cheaper and 2) because I didn't want to go to the Bahamas. Only after CCL lowered their price for our date range did we entertain sailing with them.

I was thrilled when Fascination moved to Jacksonville and then Fantasy moved to Charleston. My biggest problem is and has been that the itineraries from the east coast are so limited.

I mean, it's great to be able to drive to Charleston or Jacksonville for a cruise, but the fares are high to "only" go to the Bahamas!

My 7-day on Fantasy last month (Nassau, HMC, Grand Turk) was a great cruise. Perfect combination of 3 sea days and 3 ports. I booked if specifically for that reason and the fact that it called at HMC. I had done basically the same cruise on Fascination out of Jacksonville in December 2008 on a 5-day.

But one of the reasons I cruise is to get to NEW ports. I don't want to go to Nassau or even GT every cruise.

Cruising for me isn't just to get away from it all. It's to see beautiful, different, exotic locations.

And we just don't get that from the East Coast.

So, the trade off is not having to fly, but paying higher fares for less interesting itineraries.

BTW, my 5-day on Fascination was only about $50 pp/per day. Fantasy was WAY more expensive per day, plus it was longer. Still drove down the night before and stayed at a hotel with a cruise parking package.

I would be willing to drive the extra distance to sail from Jacksonville again for the right itinerary at the right price.

What, are they gonna lose some trailers in Mayport?

Gimme a big ship right at the mouth of the river. That and a nuclear aircraft carrier would do wonders for that part of town. Hell if you want to pretend it's a sleepy fishing village, build one to let the tourists walk through and buy crap. The mentality of this town infuriates me. It loves to live in a glorious past that pretty much sucked.

Sorry, I shouldn't post drunk...

Archived