medical question

Hi

I have a question I love to cruise but have not in a while. In that time period I have had some health problems. I am on steriod medicine. (Prednison) I need to take daily. If I get the noris Virus I will need to have my Prednison intravenously. I was wondering if the ships medical facilities would have the meds on board. I am not sure I could trust a phone call. Yes I will take out insurance its just I want to be safe than sorry and don't want to be in some hospital wand watch my ship sail away.

IV steroids are a common treatment for many ailments including asthma and allergic reactions. Both of these diagnosis are extremely common in the tourist population. I am certain the on-board medical center would have predisone and other IV steroids to help you if the need arises. Have a good trip.

Hi

I have a question I love to cruise but have not in a while. In that time period I have had some health problems. I am on steriod medicine. (Prednison) I need to take daily. If I get the noris Virus I will need to have my Prednison intravenously. I was wondering if the ships medical facilities would have the meds on board. I am not sure I could trust a phone call. Yes I will take out insurance its just I want to be safe than sorry and don't want to be in some hospital wand watch my ship sail away.

As an RN I would hazard a guess that the answer will be yes, since SoluMedrol is a standard medication for the management of severe allergic reactions and some respiratory conditions. But, as everyone else has said, in order to be sure call the cruise line and ask to be transferred to the fleet medical department to verify that.

Make SURE you buy insurance to cover any medical conditions.

I'm not sure WHY you'd need intraveneous prednisone, but if you have ins...they will help pay for that treatment....the ship does have the ability to do intraveneous stuff.

I would use caution when you purchase your travel insurance as this would be considered a preexisting condition, so make sure you have that coverage. My aunt required IV saline due to dehydration from sea sickness and the cost was $1800 :eek:.

As an RN I would hazard a guess that the answer will be yes, since SoluMedrol is a standard medication for the management of severe allergic reactions and some respiratory conditions. But, as everyone else has said, in order to be sure call the cruise line and ask to be transferred to the fleet medical department to verify that.

As an ER/ Trauma RN, I completely agree with this answer. I have spent some time with the ship infirmary staff on both Carnival and Holland America. I was very impressed with their capabilities but I would check out your specific question with the cruise line you'll be cruising with on your trip.

Hi

Thanks It was in case I could not keep the pills down. I think I probley could kep a pill down I just want to make sure they have it on board. I don't mind saying whats wrong. I have No Adrenal glands.

Thanks

Mary

Archived