Dumb question about wind on ship.

rogerwaters

How windy does it get? This is my 1st ever cruise, sailing Epic in late September (Eastern Caribbean). How windy does it get on the ship? Are we talking a light breeze or wind that may sweep my favorite baseball hat off my head into the ocean? Also, I am one of those gals that is usually cold at night....does the breeze drop the temperature a lot at night?

Sorry for the dumb questions and thanks for your help.

It really depends on weather conditions and where you are on the ship - some areas are "wind tunnels" by nature and the more exposed the area is, the windier it tends to be. In most places, hats stay on just fine. Yes, even in the Caribbean, I find that many nights I need a light sweater or wrap on deck.

The latter. We've lost many a hat.

Ship go faster at night, so as not to create too much wind in the day. As the ship goes about 20 miles per hour, a 10 mph breeze coming right over the bow will be 30mph.

If you get chilled easily, you may want to pack a long sleeve shirt or light windbreaker for evenings on the deck. The average temps in the St Thomas / St Martin area in September are mid-high 80's in daytime and low-mid 70's in the evening. Easterly tradewinds in the area average 12-15 mph. However, depending on the ships course, speed, and real wind direction, the apparent wind speed could easily be 35 mph + with a wind chill in the mid- 60's in the evenings. So, you may feel cool in the evenings on deck while underway. I hope you have good weather and a great trip! By the way we'll probably pass each other in MIA.!

Actually, it might be cooler inside the ship. Think A/C set to comfort the masses or move air around.

And, as to wind. One side of the ship might be the above 30mph, and the other side at zero, all depends on direction, etc. And sometimes, stepping back just a few feet and there is almost no wind.

Archived