Pools open when you board?

Doing the Explorer in July. Are the pools open when we board? Our autistic son loves to swim and the pools didnt open untill we set sail. When we did this cruise 2 years ago DH missed dinner the first night so he could take our son to the pool. Is that still true? Does anyone know why they arent open if not?

Pools should be open. I've never heard of them being closed the entire afternoon (perhaps there was an issue with maintenance.) Just remember, if you want to swim upon embarkation, put a bathing suit in your carry-on. Otherwise, your left waiting until your bags arrive at your room which could me much later in the afternoon.

Enjoy!

There's always been at least one pool open (generally all are unless one is being cleaned) on all of our Explorer cruises. In fact, we always run to the Windjammer to eat lunch then run to our cabin to change then run to the pool and start our vacation right away. (also, if the ship is crowded, it may be your only chance to try that cool deck location the whole week) Most times, we're sitting by the pool by about 1:30pm. :D

As the previous poster said, keep your swim trunks with you in a carry on and don't check them in with the luggage at the curb!

Cheers,

Paul

When we boarded Monarch in May, one was open and one was being painted. About an hour after we boarded a kid puked in the open pool, thus leavig us without a pool. They had everything drained cleaned and both pools filled by day break.

:D Cruisin' Forever : We prefer a different approach, against the flow so to speak.

We do not run to the terminal...we go an hour or two later so the 800 - 1000 people who all want to be first onboard have dispersed. No lines, no hassle.

We do not run to the Windjammer....precisely because this is what everyone else does; no stampede for us.

We do not run to the pool, so we won;t be run over by those that do. In fact we don't run anywhere, we're on holidays and it's time to relax. I will however walk quickly to one of the bars;)

And I do respect your choice to do it your way, running everywhere. Happy cruises to you.

Every ship that I have been on has had at least 1 pool open as soon as we boarded. I've been on Explorer at noon sitting besides the pool in my swimsuit by 12:15. We wait for the main rush in the windjammer hanging out by the pool.

As others have said remember to pack your swimsuit and any sunscreen in your carry on bag not in your luggage.

Most of all enjoy your cruise!

:D Cruisin' Forever : We prefer a different approach, against the flow so to speak.

We do not run to the terminal...we go an hour or two later so the 800 - 1000 people who all want to be first onboard have dispersed. No lines, no hassle.

We do not run to the Windjammer....precisely because this is what everyone else does; no stampede for us.

We do not run to the pool, so we won;t be run over by those that do. In fact we don't run anywhere, we're on holidays and it's time to relax. I will however walk quickly to one of the bars;)

And I do respect your choice to do it your way, running everywhere. Happy cruises to you.

That is exactly what we are going to do on our next cruise. I don't have to be the first to get to everything and will be glad to miss the lines and crowds. One thing about the pool though, that IS a good choice to do as there will be very few using it.

Thanks everyone! We will make sure to pack his suit (and sunscreen)in our carry-on. Maybe there were curcumstances as to why it was closed. That was our first RC cruise previously only using Carnival and they had always been open. The kids prefer RCI. Much more for them to do (but that's a topic for another thread:D)

:D

Hahaha! Our running is more like a walk... I use the term with some artistic license.

I only encountered lines at the Miami port... that's a place that just seems so disorganized! At every other cruise port (including getting on Oasis especially) we got there early and walked right on the ship. No lines...

We go to the Windjammer (again, without running :D) and there isn't too much confusion (except if you wait, imho) and we eat. At about the time that those who think you have to wait till 2pm to board start to show up is when things get hectic.

We usually finish in the Windjammer (note to Oasis cruisers- there are tons of more places to eat that first meal) around 1pm and head to our cabin which is generally open by this point. We don our trunks, say "hello!" to our cabin steward, and head to the pool! (often we stop and make our massage appts first) We are usually by the pool just as some people are just boarding. (Not that you always have the choice with air schedules, but then, that's one of the many reasons it's smarter to fly in the day before to your departure port)

My point is, I want to get to the relaxing ASAP! (Save a bar seat for me!) :D

Cheers,

Paul

My boys (17,15, and 11)are active. They were so bored on Carnival last year. And yes they are very smart too. They get that from their dad.

We drive to NJ. It is only about a 4 hour ride for us. Easier, cheaper and faster than flying. And we get VIP boarding because of our autistic son. So we dont have really long lines to wait in to board. Once onboard, the older two take off. We hit the buffet. And last time we explored the Explorer because pools werent open. But now we will hit the pool because having done her before, we know our way around. This time we will relax more.

Archived