Who Has Items Stolen from Luggage

Putterdude

I thought anymore we couldn't lock our luggage. The TSA said not to lock your bags. I've never had anything stolen out of my luggage because I don't check any. Either does my husband.

We put everything in a carry-on. Even for two week cruises. We just pack the essentials.

I put zip lock ties on. They don't give me any grief over it, just cut them if they need to. Don't confuse airlines with cruise line rules. I cut them when I get to my pre-cruise hotel, then put a new set on before leaving for the ship.

Then while my bags are sitting out in hall, they are zipped. When I put them out to go home, they have new zips on them then, too.

Returning from Cancun we had our luggage locked with TSA locks, which were cut off at some point - apparently by Mexican authorities - there was a note attached that our bags were searched. Our luggage was received minus 2 cameras, battery chargers (phones, Kindle reader, laptop safe in carryon), and some small inexpensive souvenirs.

We carried valuables except cameras.

Mexican officals blamed American luggage handlers, airline blamed Mexican officials, and we lost our cameras.

With regrets to those who hate to wait while I stash my legitimate sized carryon, I'm now a carryon only travelor. Between this experience and two occasions with 2 and 4 day waits for luggage to be found, and one totally missing luggage experience I've given up on checked luggage.

Why in the world would you pack cameras into a checked suitcase? I think that is exactly what luggage handlers who want to steal are looking for. Small things of some value they can easily sell on Ebay.

Why in the world would you pack cameras into a checked suitcase? I think that is exactly what luggage handlers who want to steal are looking for. Small things of some value they can easily sell on Ebay.

last minute, rushed totally stupid move - of course I know who to blame (me) for the missing cameras...but I was so ticked off that they cut off my TSA lock, detroying the suitcase in the effort.

Almost as ticked as when they have misplaced or lost my luggage.

The only things ever in my checked luggage is clothing, shoes and toiletries. I carry everything else (jewelry, cameras, laptop, Kindle, documents passports). If someone really wants my clothes go for it. I don't buy expensive designer clothing for cruising so most of my clothes come from Macy's, Talbots, and stores like that. None of it is worth that much to me since my really "valuable" clothing is what I wear to work. I can always replace everything I take on a cruise since msot of it is vacation/summer clothing.

Archived