Never too old!

Musicus

# 72 September 18 - October 15, 2011

September 18, Ponte Delgado (Azores): I spent the whole day dealing with this latest calamity in utter frustration. But I did receive all the help possible through the ship's officers. The one dealing wth immigration had been in contact with the MSC agent in the city after I wondered whether there was a Canadian Consulate, and found out what was required to get an emergency passport. He then arranged to have passport pictures taken to the size specified. But all this took many hours in the morning and by the time the picture had been taken, developed and printed it was after noon and the consulate would be closed until 2pm. It had then been arranged that the MSC Agent, a very nice man named Paolo with good English, bring me in his car to the consulate -as it turned out it would be his associate who did this and he stayed with me the entire afternoon, until nearly 5.30pm when I had to be back on board, finally with a emergency passport valid for one day only to go to the consulate in New York to get a new passport. But what a paper war and bureaucratic nightmare, which even included that they called all four guarantors which I had to list, in Canada, the US and Switzerland!! The main work was done by the very nice Portuguese but English speaking Irene, with my completing umpties documents and statements; the surprisingly young and also very nice consul came in only twice to check what had been done and apply his signature snd seal to the final document (which cost 60 Euro). But he voiced doubts that I would be allowed to board the ship after I had left to go to the consulate unless I had a passport and, back on the ship, Allan thinks that I would have to disembark in Canada, because I would not be allowed to sail back to New York without a passport - this does not make sense to me at all, but I'll have to check into these situations. What an unholy mess!!

I had agreed to appear on tonight's Mega Talent Show in the theater and did, on the 9 o'clock show, playing a medley from "My Fair Lady" and wound up with roaring applause from an audience of at least 500 people. My dear friend Anna gave me a wonderful introduction and told of my staying on board for a year; finally she asked me to state my age and I said I would, after I had played. Then, when asked again, I said that if I stood on my head I would be 49.

September 20 to 24, 2011 : Four days at sea. I had a conference with the Immigration officer and Allan about the passport situation and the outcome was that I will talk with the US Immigration officers when they come aboard in New York on the 27th - it's the only way to solve the problem of my staying aboard the ship until October 15. It's because once the ship enters US waters, it is effectively in the United States, including passengers who all have passports and will have been cleared. Without passport, I cannot enter unless a special provision is made in my case. Let's hope for the best.

I played Scrabble daily with various people (always winning!) and the piano in the afternoons, but this is at a time when there is "Tea Time" in the Cafeteria and very many people feed themselves (again and again!) so that there are fewer who come to listen. Just the same, I get a lot of conpliments, also from people I come across on the ship who will stop and tell me. It's nice to know that my playing is appreciated.

Meantime I cannot help but worry about the passport situation. I had planned to phone the consulate in NY to find out whether they are able to provide me with a new paspsort the same day if I provide them with the various required forms already completed, except for date and signature, when I get to them in the morning of the 28th. However, we arrive in Bermuda on the 24th which is a Saturday and I doubt that the consulate is open. Then I'll have to try it on the 27th from the ship. I also am concerned about my dear friends Lea and Bill who would come to meet me in the morning of the 28th and, depending on what happens when I talk with the US Immigration people on the 27th, I may have to cancel our meeting which would be too bad. So, of course, being in limbo like this, I worry!

Edited by yellowbird23

We are spending 1-1/2 days at King's Wharf in Bermuda and from the little I have seen, it's just a lovely place. I very much regretted not having a camera at the moment and am asking several friends who went out today and took pictures to send some to me. I wound up at Snorkel Park which is a beautiful beach with white sand and in the restaurant there WiFi was available at $ 10 for 24 hours. I had a nice place outside one of the buildings under a projecting roof which gave shade and even found an electric outlet there so that I could work the computer, deal with 45 emails and do various checkings without running out of power. It was very hot out in the sun -over 85F- but here there was a light breeze and I was comfortable, except for my hurting back after sitting for hours, from 10am to 4pm in fact. I did get up several times and walked around a bit but basically I wish there was a better way of doing computer work, which I do every day in one form or another. Where I sat it was nice and peaceful, with only the occasional visit of some chickens strutting about, but also some chicks in bikinis on the way to the beach from the ladies' bathroom around the corner from where I sat. Tomorrow the ship leaves at 2pm but since I still have until nearly 10.30 paid for WiFi, I'll probably come back to use it.

So I did go back next morning after my 12 laps and breakfast, only to be unable to connect to the internet. I found the attendant and told him and he gave me back $5 but I have no WiFi. Too bad.

Forgot to tell you the "funny thing happened to me on the way to" the pool yesterday early morning. I stood there in my bathrobe open, waiting for the pool boys to remove the net covering the pool every night. There were a few other people waiting as well. Finally it was ready to be used; I took off my robe and realized that I was stark naked - had forgotten to put my swim trunks on!! I sure covered up in a hurry and hopefully assumed that noone had seen me, since I did not see any finger pointing or heard anybody laughing out loud or shouting at me. And so it goes.

In today's program I see that I am listed to play in the afternoon, because we already leave here at 2pm. So today and tomorrow, the last day at sea before Nrew York, I'll be at it again. But I am truly very happy about the many people who encounter me and tell me how much they like my playing. It's very rewarding and I feel that I really am giving back some of the blessing bestowed on me.

September 26: I spent some time in Allan's office where he phoned the Candian Consulate in NY. Despite the fact that they were open, only recorded messages dealing with all sorts of possible questions or situations one may have or be in, but didn't opffer any access to a live person. Anyway, t is clear that they do not issue passports and that the validity of the emergency one I have cannot be extended. So I am at the mercy of the US Immigration who I will see tomorrow. If they don't allow me to stay on the ship until my disembarkment October 15, I'll have to leave when we get to Quebec on October 2. What a mess. On top of everything I seem to have caught a cold and am sneezing my head off and have a runny nose. But a positive note: tonight a elaborately bound big book was delievered to me with a card from the nice Hotel Manager Gianfranco, saying it was with the compliments from him and the Captain Giacomo Romano. The book is a bautiful production not only of the history of the company but also is a photographic guide through the "Poesia", all done very artistically in both Italian and English. What a nice gesture. I needed this uplift tonight.

September 27: I finally got to see some of the immigration officers about 12.30pm and pleaded my case; the upshot of this was, after having checked me out in their computer, that they had "no issues" with me and seemed to be perfectly willing to allow my staying on the ship also for the next return to New York. On board, however, the MSC Immigration man and mainly the female assistant purser were adamant that I would have to leave the ship in Canada because I had no passprt to return to American soil, which the ship is on when going to Newport, Boston and New York on the way back from the next 10-day cruise.

That afternoon I went into town with my scooter (no problem, even though my one day "Passport" was only valid for the next day) and lucked into passing a branch of the NY Library, where I sat for a while with free WiFi. I decided that I would have to go back to US Immigration next day.

September 28: I did and talked again to the same officers as the day before and the verdict was the same. But while they had "no issue" with me, they now were not sure about my status on the ship when it returns. They called their chief by phone but could either not reach him or the matter remained undecided; anyway, it was suggested that the MSC Immigration Officer Marco or the MSC Agent Robert call Chief Hayes to get a ruling in this case.

And at this point I had to leave because my good friends Lea and Bill were waiting for me outside the building in a taxi they had rented for the day. They took me around various places where I wanted to go , the excellent driver weaving in and out of bumper to bumper traffic and if he couldn't park where he let Lea and myself off, he would cruise around until I had done my business, with Bill staying in the car all the time - what a generous gesture of these wonderful people. And then the highlight of the day: A Jewish Deli, Matzoball Soup and a hot smoked met sandwich on rye - heaven on earth! I don't think that I had been treated ever before like I was this day. How did I deserve it and how could I possibly show my appreciation and reciprocate? We got back to the pier around 3 pm.

The afternoon continued with more banging my head against several walls after I waited some 20 minutes for a wheelchair. Finally, after battling with both the Poesia Immigration Officer and his sidekick, Christina, the Purser, towards 4 o'clock I got to talk to the MSC Agent who seemed to be the only person having the number of the US Immigration chief Hayes. It turned out however that he wasn't there and a short message about the case was left with him with the request to call back the Agent, who eventually, and hopefully, will send an email to the ship's Immigration Officer about the decision of the Chief. At this point, exhausted and fed up, I felt that I had done all I could and now had to leave it to whatever fate is decided upon. I must admit, though, that I thought for a moment to ask Bill and you phone the Chief and put in a good word, but then, not knowing the Chief's closely guarded telephone number, abandoned the thought. Che sera, sera. But the state of limbo is hard to live in.

September 29, at sea: This morning, after an aborted swim since the waves in the pool were just too rough, I had a renewed session with Andrea, the Purser and Allan which ended in an inconclusive stalemate since all that came out of it was the standard mantra of "you cannot enter the US without a valid passport". There was no telephone line available at the time and so the MSC agent had not been called which will happen whenever, as well as a call to the passport office in Quebec City to see wether they could issue a new passport in a day.

September 30. Sydney, NS, Canada: None of these calls abve happened yesterday, but it was said that the USBC repeated that a Canadian without a valid passport cannot enter the US, which of course is nothing new. This morning I will try to achieve a definte clarification and decision.

(Later) I spent the whole morning in Allan's office and what happened was a real exercise of patience and frustration, because for the longest time there was no satellite signal available so that no telephone calls could be made. Finally the office of the New York but

MSCAgent was reached but only a message could be left on the answering machine. I wanted to talk with the Agent to ascertain that he actually spoke with the NY Immigration Chief Hayes and what was said). Then Allan called the Ottawa Government office who confirmed that the passport office in Quebec Ciy could indeed issue a passport in a day. However, no telephone number for this office was available. Next, Allan got in touch with the MSC Agent in Quebec and on his demand emailed photocopies of all my documents and a complete history of my odyssey and we are awaiting a reply, hopefully before we get to Sydney which is scheduled for a 2 pm arrival. So it seems that there may be light at the end of the tunnel after all. All this transpired in Allan's small office which he shares with his corporate partner Alex and his assistant Vincente. There was lots of other activity going on, also with Theresa dropping in to do things on one of the three Laptops going - she will be Allan's replacement when he leaves the ship in NY on October 8.

(Again later) I had a longish session with two young ladies, 22 and 24, Canadian Customs/Immigration officers! All is now OK and I am set up for a visit to the passport office in Quebec. I feel slightly relieved.

October 1, Charlottetown: In Sydney I could only spend a little more than an hour in the terminus buidling with free WiFi because all that happened did take a lot of time, but I managed to send out reports # 73 and a couple of emails; however after that the system got overloaded with some two dozen laptops going strong and when it became practically impossible "to get in an email edgewise" so to cyberspeak, I gave up. And this morning it's raining. I am in the terminal building, where the young excellent dancers of the local dance school perform onb a stage - anything from Irish reels to "Lollipop" - I remember this from last year. Right now they tapdance to the German "muss I denn zum Staetele hinaus". There is free WiFi here and I am connected and have an excellent signal but it does not work - I get the repeated message that the DNS is not responding. More frustration! Eventually I went back to the ship and after I dried out, went out again, this time with the thin plastic raincoat supplied by the ship, and with plastic shopping bags over my feet (which are exposed to the rain when sitting opn the scooter) I set out for town where I was told was WiFi available. I found it, but realized that I was taking a chance driving the scooter in the rain and through large puddles, which they warn not to do, but everything went OK and I got a little over an hour computer stuff in before they closed - their clock being ahead one hour from the ship's. I haven't been able to swim for a few days, because I took a piece of skin off my elbow when walking and brushing against a wall with the ship lurching in rough seas; it was bleeding quite a bit and I had to bandage it. Now I must wait until it has healed up a little before going into the pool again. Anyway, both arms show many bruises - seems that I only have to touch something to produce them - I am a real "Bruiser" so to speak!

October 2: Sea Day, found a very competitive Scrabble player who beat me by some 50 points but used some words I had never known, such as "Goy" for "clothing" but also others which she learned from the Scrabble dictionary. We'll have a rematch. In the afternoon I played again, like at every Sea Day and got a great deal of applause and compliments, also later when people met me somewhere on the ship - most gratifying!

October 3, Quebec: EUREKA! I HAVE A NEW CANADIAN PASSPORT!!

Pics to follow

October 3, Quebec: The day of reckoning - and what a day that was! It started badly: while we docked even before the scheduled 8am time, it took over an hour until we could leave the ship because there was trouble with ramps being attached to the ship. This had me chewing at the bit and my nails, since I knew that the passport office would close at 4pm and I was afraid that there wouldn't be enough time for the new passport to be issued since it also was far away. How far? $ 35 worth by taxi, that far; it took nearly 1/2 hour. The passport office was located in a huge shopping center on the second floor and there were many people in line. When I finally got to the first check of the documents I had prepared, I was told that a) the application form which I had been given at the consulate at Ponta Delgado was not accepted because it was for Canadians abroad; I would have to submit a new one. 2) The photographs which were accepted at the consulate for the emergency passport would not be accepted here because there was a slight shadow on my cheek. 3) one of the new photos will have to be certified by a notary along with two of the forms and 4) I would have to supply four different guarantors - people who had known me for at least 2 years. I had my work cut out. But first I thougt I better get some Canadian cash since the taxi ride took almost all I had but had to go in search of a Bank of Montreal wicket in an adjacent shopping center since I was unable to find an ATM here and I got $ 400 as I figured to pay cash for the passport, photographs, notary fees etc.

Then I found a photographer who wanted me to come back in half an hour because they were so busy; after more running around (limping, that is) I found another one on a different floor who was able to do it right away. Then I found a cafe where I sat and filled out the new application forms and found names, addresses and telephone numbers of four guarantors. Subsequently, after more running around in the vast center, I was directed to the 11th floor to a Notary who did all the certifications and then I was ready to go back to the passport office where an even longer line was waiting; at this time I was pretty exhausted and had to sit while waiting my turn to go to the precheck wicket, got a number to wait some more (but sitting down) until the number flashed on the LED Screen. But with more than 10 wickets open, this was not very long and I got to a pleasant young man. He asked me if I could possibly provide two more guarantors, just in case some of the others were not reachable, which I did. Then he informed me that for a same day delivery of the passport there would be an extra $ 70 charge -a total of $157, to be paid right then; I used my Bank of Montreal Check Card and for some reason it was "declined" twice, which just didn't make sense to me and I had to use my credit card. Later, in retrospect, I figured that it must have been because the daily withdrawal limit for the Check Card may have been $ 500 and, since I already had used $ 400, the $157 exceeded this limit. Anyway, I was given a receipt which was marked for delivery of the passport at 2pm. Then I went down and after much more running around found a restaurant with WiFi and ordered a soup at the counter. Suddenly I fell down -I am must had a momentary lapse of consciousness-, with my netbook, my wallet and briefcase flying all over the place, but nice people around helped me up and I was shaken badly but not hurt and luckily even the laptop survived. However, later in the day and during the night I felt the pain in my left wrist and hand of a bad sprain which will probably bother me when playing the piano the next day at sea. I really was weakened and very stressed at this point, but then I went back and got the passport which I kissed!~ Went back to the cafe so send out a short report # 74 with the good news, found the right exit after more looking for it and was greeted outside by rain. There was a bus station close by where I sheltered while trying unsuccessfully to hail a taxi; finally I decided to take a bus which would at least bring me into the center of Quebec , but the first one which I boarded I was told was going the wrong way and because I had paid the fare, I got a free ticket for another ride in the opposite direction. In town, I got off, still in driving rain, hailed a taxi waiting at a red light which was going to a client but the driver would call for one where I waited in a bus shelter. It came 10 Minutes later and brought me back to the ship, where I gratefully collapsed on my bed. Facit: Total cost of passport/camera loss and replacement: over $ 450, but much more in emotional anguish, stress and physical demand. In the end, all is well again and life goes on.

October 4, at sea: I played another Scrabble game with my valiant partner Ruth, who scored over 90 points, when she was able to put the seven letter word "Squired" on a double word, with the "S" increasing the existing word "pew" to "Skew" and the "Q" on a double letter spot - a rare and lucky break that of course killed me. Despite my damaged Hand, I played the piano in the afternoon, had lots of people and lots of applause and compliments, also later, when I would be recognized somewhere on the ship. But my hand did bother me and impeded my playing somewhat. In the evening I was invited to a special cocktail hour for VIPs and repeaters and thanks to my position was able to get a Martini instead of the eternal cheap chanpagne offered at these occasions.

October 5, en route to Halifax: My hand is quite swollen and I went to the doctor to have it looked at; since nothing seems broken, he said to do nothing but rest it as much as possible. We have a very rough sea and winds in excess of 130 KM/Hr. Because of the weather condiitons it was just announced that we cannot dock in Halifax and that the ship would continue directly to Newport, RI, the next port scheduled for arrival day after tomorrow. Had another Scrabble game with Ruth, this time we came out exactly even. But I disallowed "tux" which she was going to place on a triple word score.

October 6, at sea: I do a lot of people watching again and have never in one place seen as many obese women waddling forward from side to side, or as many men holding up their belted pants below bulging bellies. Gross. Equally gross I find several men sitting at dinner in the restaurant with baseball caps on their heads; something you never see on the European side. I commented on this already last year.

October 7, Newport, RI: Here the weather was beautiful, sunny but cool in the morning and later afternoon. After a lengthy Immigration procedure I was finally able close to 10am to get onto a tender; we were anchored quite far out and it took a 10 minute ride to get ashore. As usual, soon after I stopped and checked for WiFi; there it was, free, from the Newport Harbor Hotel which I could see. Of course I drove there, went in and found not only a comfortable chair and table, but also an electrical outlet - what a blessing! So I worked for a couple of hours, also on getting some prices on my second tentative itinerary to start sometime in November, so God will. After that I made a tour of this beautiful town which must be a very favorite destination in Summer, judging from the enormeous number of Souvenir shops and tourist traps and especially the equally large yacht harbour which reeks of affluence with lots of gorgeous yachts. Got back to the ship at 4.20 pm after circumventing long lines of passengers on shore waiting to get onto a tender - call it a Travelscoot perk. In town I was twice stopped by passing passengers and thanked for ther piano playing and tonight, back on the ship it happrned again several times. I am truly grateful and happy about this.

October 8, New York: Big exodus, and my last time here.

:)To all of Egon's "followers". I was happy to report his yearly adventure week by week. I am assuming that he finished that venture yesterday in Quebec City. Wishing him the best for the future travels he plans to take.

We will be watching for The Further Adventures of Egon. :)

What a pleasure it was to follow Egon on his year-long cruise. Thank you!

:)To all of Egon's "followers". I was happy to report his yearly adventure week by week. I am assuming that he finished that venture yesterday in Quebec City. Wishing him the best for the future travels he plans to take.

Thanks so much for taking the time to give all the reports on this link. I hope Egon will send in a last report about leaving the ship, etc.

Will you be able to keep reporting on his next adventures? Please relay to him how much we enjoyed his blog, and that he was very interesting to read. I hope he can continue his travels.

Thanks so much for taking the time to give all the reports on this link. I hope Egon will send in a last report about leaving the ship, etc.

Will you be able to keep reporting on his next adventures? Please relay to him how much we enjoyed his blog, and that he was very interesting to read. I hope he can continue his travels.

Seconded! I found this thread only 2 weeks ago, and was up until 4am on two occasions "catching up" with Egon. And then discovered a friend met him on the ship during the last TA portion! Looking forward to a wrap-up, and more adventures from this wonderful man.

Just want to say thank you to both of you, for the past year you both have been so good about posting Egon's travel journal and photos. It has been a joy reading about his adventures and being able to see his beautiful photos. I will miss his weekly adventures and BOY have they been interesting.

I am hoping that he will continue with his reporting on his next journey. Either way, thank you so much.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises – in planning stage:

September, 2012 - Alaska – Amsterdam - 14 day cruise

2013 Eastern Med - Prisendam- 28 day (includes cruising Black Sea)

I can't believe that this man, who I first started corresponding with in June of 2010, has actually completed his cruise. It seems like he just got on the ship.

I am quite sure that he will keep corresponding with me and I am going to ask him to please keep us all advised of his whereabouts, wherever that may be.

I will let you all know what is transpiring. Special thanks to ladysail for helping me with the pics. Till we meet again folks!:):):)

It was quite a struggle to get out, because practically every one on the ship was either disembarking or going on an excursion. But I finally did and made my way to the branch of the New York library which I had found on September 27 which fortunately was open and I could do a lot of computer stuff and even had electricity. Sure is a great place to know! Back on the ship in early afternoon. In the evening, we were again eight people at the table (even though Ivan had promised only seven to make room for Steve on the 14th; I later on talked to Ivan's successor Hugo who will make adjustments. Anyway, new faces and the old champagne ritual complete with strawberries and my explanations. And Angelica got her share of berries. She wants Steve to bring Brandy - she misses her dogs so much.

Yesterday, I did see a man with a Lab on bord - I thought it might be a seeing eye animal, but Angelica things that it was a police sniffer. Anyway, this was the first time I saw an animal on board, which are not allowed.

For some reason we were over an hour late leaving New York - I was out wtaching and took a few pictures which of course turned out too dark to really show the dramatic New York skyline.

9. October, at Sea: I returned the Scrabble game which I had obtained last October and then went to see Theresa who is the replacement for Allan (who left without saying goodbye) and ascertained that everything is set up for Steve to come aboard on the 14th, also that I am no longer debited any Service Charge.

A very successful and appreciated piano play and afterwards the "Martini (3) Cocktail Party" and Dinner, where they had moved one couple to another table to make mor room for us and Steve.

October 10, Halifax: A beautiful day and I went swimming again in the morning but quit after 10 rounds because the water was cold and I got quite chilly. Then ashore, where I found WiFi in the huge shopping-center like terminal building and sat there until my battery was almost empty; then, looking for a plug-in, I took the elevator which brought me to the balcony skirting the place below. This was obviously also open at times, for there were many similar stands like below, but closed up. And there I found electric outlets, a chair and table and very subdued noise from below. I stayed until after 2pm and was able to achieve quite a bit, even with things connected to my future plans, but while the signal was good, the bandwith seemed to be overloaded and it often took a very long time to connect to websites. Took a long route back to the ship and gained "a feeling" for the bustling city, but had forgotten to take my camera...

October 11, Sydney: This morning it was only 48F and the pool cold - so it was jacuzzi for me. The sun was shining but there was a very cold wind. I tried to find out whether it is true that the transatlantic cruise in March is sold out, as Linda (Cori's protege who operates a travel agency) says, but have so far been unsuccessful It sure would put a crimp in my plans. Later, when I was ashore and had WiFi, I checked out Cruisecheap.com and they offered several cabins. But since I want specific handicap cabins, I will call them to see whether they can get one of these and will have to book right away, maybe even the few preceeding cruises if I could have the same cabin. - Going ashore by tender was a rocky affair and cumbersome because of the many people. There was trouble with the free WiFi which kept going off so that I only could do the necessary. I then went into town, stopped by a drugstore for Ginger Ale which turned out to be 7Up and looked around, also in the museum. But I was pretty cold ecause of the wind and eventually got back to the ship at 3.30pm. We'll leave at 5. There is only one spot for Cruiseships to moor in Sydney and it was taken by Holland America Line - we had to be anchored out in the bay.

October 12, Charlottetown PEI: A nice day, but the pool was too cold for me and with only 48F I didn't even budge. On land later, I had good WiFi at the Terminal Buidling and, accompanied by the usual young and excellent tap dancers on the stage before me, did a lot of work pertaining to future plans which are taking shape and you'll get to know about them soon. Also went for a little spin around town. When I got back to the ship, a long line of returning passengers was waiting; since the morning, when there was high tide and I had a ramp to get ashore, now this was low tide and there was only one long ramp with stairs operative - they had to carry the scooter up while I navigated it step by step.

October 13, At Sea: 48F and a cold pool, so no swim - I guess that's it, period. Packing!! What a job. But by and by I'm getting there. Went to the Theater for a talk of disembarking procedures at Quebec - nothing new there. Anyway, as a Black Card holder I'll have to check out what "preferential disembarkation" means. In the afternoon my last piano performance with several people coming up to me to say thanks; after that a capuccino and talk with my dear Anna. I feel sorry for her because of problems with her postings which would separate her from her fiance for some three months - hope she'll be able to straighten this out. I, as before, am concerned ablut her health because she is driving herself so much and is really under constant stress.

I have been invited to the captain's table tonight, and, in expectation of this to happen prepared a little speech in Italian which I intend to deliver. Here it is: "Caro Giacomo, caro Gianfranco, cari amici! Un anno e passato piutosto rapido. Ho visto tanti belli luoghi, incontro persone interessante and ho fatto molti nuovi amici. Questa sera voglio ringranziare Voi tutti per la Vorstra amicizia e Vi auguro per il futuro buona salute e fortuna. Spero che ci rivedremo in Febbraio del anno prossimo, quando posso forse retornare alla mia famiglia e alla mia amore la Poesia. Vi saluto!" Hope I can rattle this off without too many "er's" or having to look at the text which I wrote.

As I went down to the table in the restaurant to tell them that I will not be eating with them tonight, I was stopped by a man who was together with an another who was blind and a lady and explained that the blind man whose name I don't have, wanted absolutely to meet me, asked many questions and he was "so sorry" not to have heard me play. So tghat turned out to be the man I had seen with the Labrador und Angelica had thought that this must have been a Police Sniffer! The very nice coloured man was full of praise for MSC for the spendid assistance he was receiving.

The dinner with the captain was preceded by a big cocktail party in one of the lounges, when he introduced his officers to the public, talked about the company and future plans and then, as a complete surprise to me, called for me to come to his side and spoke at length about my year's stay on the Poesia and of course I, too, had to mumble something. The Dinner after this went very well and I believe my little speech was delivered fairly well and certainly received with appreciation.

October 14, Quebec: A long and lousy day. I spent some 2-1/2 hrs. on my scooter watching for Steve's arrival; not knowing from which side he would come I kept on traveling around in large circles. It was cold and very windy and I got very tired and chilled; finally, just when I was about to go back to the ship, we found each other; little did I know that he had left an hour later and had a lot of trouble finding the location of the ship. Of course he had no way of contacting me either. Anyway, after some more waiting for him outside the ship and me getting mad inside that his embarking was not better organised, eventually he could board with a visitor's pass and all was well then. Wonderful to see each other again! We had lunch, a little rest and a tour of the ship; later drinks in the cabin and dinner and now, half past eight, he is stll reconnoitering and getting a feel of the ship and activities, but will be back soon I hope, because the scooter has to be folded and packed and put outside the cabin where already three pieces of my luggage are and there will also be three garment bags - a lot of stuff! All this will be transported down to a big tent during the night, where it can be collected tomorrow by us. I sure hope that then cars will be allowed in, not like today where Steve has to park in a commercial parking lot some distance away.

October 15, Quebec: It was quite an emotional farewell from many, starting with Gianfranco, the hotel manager, then Anna, the cruise director, Mandy, the concierge, Teresa, the new manager of guestrelations and the many others with whom I had been in almost daily contact and who had become friends . The fact that I really had become a "member of the family" became quite evident and so the whole farewell was a bittersweet experience. Steve was of course introduced to everyone and for him staying on the ship overnight was a real eye opener and I was so glad that he could see all of thye ship, eat the food and get a feel of life on board.

And then came the chaos with hundreds of people disembarking here - it took a long time until I was led through the immigration/customs procedure and until Steve regained his passport which he had to surrender when he boarded and then get the car - and on top of everything it was pouring rain. I had three suitcases (one very big), three garment bags and three shopping bags and there was a small case of Steve's; luckily a porter stayed with me and the luggage in a huge tent (where everybody looked for and retrieved their luggage) while we waited for Steve and when he came he helped load the car which fairly groaned but accepted it gracefully. And then we were off.

We got to my dear friends Rick and Fran's gorgeous house on Ile Brizard at Montreal just at 5pm and were warmly

welcomed, heaving sighs of relief and gratitude. What a beautiful house with so many priceless treasures! And what wonderful friends! Did I tell you already last year that I've known Rick since he was a baby in 1942 and carried him on my shoulder in the apartment in Montreal where Margaret and her husband ived? That's friendship! He'll be 70 next year.

And then on to Ottawa where Brandy was beside herself to see Steve again, and we also picked up Joyce, who stayed with the dog at her friend's house - she is a good friend of Steve's and a truly wonderful person. And then the long drive to North Bay - another 4 hours, but all went well, and we arrived safely after over 800KM, but tired. And so ends an odyssey, but another is on the horizon. If you'll stay with me, I'll be with you again.

Hi Patty, you'll hear from me shortly again - I will not forget you !

Love - Egon

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:44 PM, proos wrote:

Have you gotten your land legs back yet? People on cruise critics are asking for you to keep in touch and start another blog for us all to read. You have made many, many friends on here that you probably aren't even aware of.

It's been a pleasure. Please keep in touch my friend!

--

:

Wow, I can't believe the year is up! It seems like just yesterday I found this thread and started reading this man's wonderful adventure. :) Pat, thank you so much for keeping his journey "alive" for us. I can't wait for the next installment!

Bless You, Sue :D

Wow, I can't believe the year is up! It seems like just yesterday I found this thread and started reading this man's wonderful adventure. :) Pat, thank you so much for keeping his journey "alive" for us. I can't wait for the next installment!

Bless You, Sue :D

Thank you and you're quite welcome.:)

Yellowbird and ladysail----I have to say thank you for wonderful readings. I have not written before but have been keeping up with the thread- you both do a wonderful job and Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

May Egon have many more adventures and hopefully we will be able to follow him through the next year----you are a wonderful roll model Egon, I should be so lucky to be traveling at your age----God Bless. We almost cross paths in Feb. but you are sailing two days after us and on another ship. Safe, Happy and Healthy travels.

Trudy

It really is hard to believe its been a whole year of adventures! I have loved reading about truly living aboard a cruise ship and the trials and triumphs Egon experienced. I sure hope he will be able to have wifi on board his next cruises and not have to look all over and take the risks to find it in all the different places. But at least he has scooter now and will have it at the beginning. I can't wait to see what his plans include next!

Thanks for all the hard work in posting his blog and his picts!:)

:)

North Bay, Ontario, where my son Steve lives and owns

www.Torbay.net and where he had prepared a room for me in the big house which he had built some years ago and isnnow remodelling to be sold as the foundation of the B&B.

In my room there is a large table for which I am grateful because it allows me to spread out; eventually I unpacked everything and already decided on quite a few things I could do without in the ensuing months so as to reduce the amount and weight of luggage to handle.

Even though the weather has been rainy, cold and miserable for quite a few days, to be here, to be with Steve and Brandy, the female canine master of the house, and friends, is a wonderful experience and welcome change. However, as I intimated before, I am still footlose and fancyfree and even though my plans are still in the works for the most part, here is to which point they are already fixed:

On November 12, Steve and I will leave about 4.30 AM and drive to the Pearson airport in Toronto, where I'll take a Westjet flight, leaving at 10AM for Cozumel, Mexico. There I am booked until February 13, 2012 at the Sabor Cozumel Resort and Spa (www.saboresorts.com). Check it out! Sure would be wonderful to see some of you during my stay there!! Then, on February 13, my loveboat "Poesia" will pick me up in Cozumel, take me to Fort Lauterdale and I'll first make three 7-day trips to the Eastern and Western Caribbean and on March 17 on the 16-day transatlantic to Genoa.

In Berne, they are laughing, because for some years now I've said that "this is the last time". But for me this is another homecoming to a country and place and friends I love and so it draws me mightily (further enhanced by the thought of Migros' Bürli!!-:)

This is it for today. I hope that you all are well, and I send you affectionate greetings and good vibes.

Egon

--

[/url]

http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

Â

It sounds to me that Egon will have a very relaxing winter in Cozumel. That resort looks wonderful, and it should be wonderful for his heath.

I hope his travel blog will continue, and thanks to those of you who made it possible. I have wondered why Egon doesn't chat on CC?