Never too old!

Musicus

With apologies to YellowBird I just thought we all should send our best wishes and tips to this 90 plus gentleman who is going solo for a whole year on MSC Poisia. His thread appeared some months ago. It inspired me to spend several hours planning my year log dream cruise. Since then many exciting new itins for 2011-12 have surfaced. Enjoy!

With apologies to YellowBird I just thought we all should send our best wishes and tips to this 90 plus gentleman who is going solo for a whole year on MSC Poisia. His thread appeared some months ago. It inspired me to spend several hours planning my year log dream cruise. Since then many exciting new itins for 2011-12 have surfaced. Enjoy!

That's okay zoncom. I was a lot upset that noone was wishing him Bon Voyage. I have been in contact with him via e-mail for the past 2-3 months. He is starting his venture on Monday having to travel to Quebec for the departure. He is such a fantastic person and anyone sailing on Poesia in the next year should really look him up. He is such a wonderful, inspiring person.

Here's to you Egon!

Thank you so much for posting your reflection and details of your project ! In making different scenarios for the future, one of them has to be , life beeing what it is, that I too may be alone. What you are doing is exactly what I am considering as a possibility, and I got to your post as I am actually doing research on that. Your post will be printed and on top of my retirement plan file!

It would be great if you had a blog or something like that during your cruise so we could follow you and you would get a network of web friends to share your life at sea. The way your post was written let's me believe that you would be good at writing such info. I would also be curious to lear about the pros and cons you will discover on that type of living as the weeks and months pass; tips, advice, anectodes etc.

Finally, I will show your post to my parents ( dad 92 and in great shape). I keep asking them to do me the favor of spending ALL my inheritance on having a good time themselves. The best thing they can leave me is the memories and example of a happy person who lived life to the fullest !

Have a wonderful cruise !!!

Update! Musicus (Egon) has left his home and headed east to Quebec, but has encountered some car trouble. The Osoyoos Times (Canada) has a big article about him in their paper. I am so happy to have "met" him and carried on a conversation with him these past few months. I am hoping that maybe I can get on one of those legs of his journey to meet him in person so that he can play "Moon River" for me, as he is an accomplished organist/pianist.

Thank you so much for posting your reflection and details of your project ! In making different scenarios for the future, one of them has to be , life beeing what it is, that I too may be alone. What you are doing is exactly what I am considering as a possibility, and I got to your post as I am actually doing research on that. Your post will be printed and on top of my retirement plan file!

It would be great if you had a blog or something like that during your cruise so we could follow you and you would get a network of web friends to share your life at sea. The way your post was written let's me believe that you would be good at writing such info. I would also be curious to lear about the pros and cons you will discover on that type of living as the weeks and months pass; tips, advice, anectodes etc.

Finally, I will show your post to my parents ( dad 92 and in great shape). I keep asking them to do me the favor of spending ALL my inheritance on having a good time themselves. The best thing they can leave me is the memories and example of a happy person who lived life to the fullest !

Have a wonderful cruise !!!

What a nice posting!:p

Update! Musicus (Egon) has left his home and headed east to Quebec, but has encountered some car trouble. The Osoyoos Times (Canada) has a big article about him in their paper. I am so happy to have "met" him and carried on a conversation with him these past few months. I am hoping that maybe I can get on one of those legs of his journey to meet him in person so that he can play "Moon River" for me, as he is an accomplished organist/pianist.

I can't think of anything better than getting on one of the legs of his journey! that would be fanastic! :D I was soooo impressed with him and his year long jouney, I hope I can do the same thing sometime. I have so much admiration for him.

Please keep us posted if/as you hear from him, I'd love to follow along as much as possible. Hopefullly, the car trouble is resolved and he is on his way again.

Sue

Got this today from Egon>>

Day 3

I am in Regina, Sask., and all is well. Nothing earthshaking to report today. It rained during the night and today is a gorgeous day for a pretty monotonous drive through the Prairies on a 4-lane highway which certainly has seen better days. Soup at Tim Hortons in Swift Current, Sask., 40 winks in a roadside rest. Car runs beautifully.

See you tomorrow. Love to all - Egon

Update from Musicus>>

Day 5

About 25 Km East of Thunder Bay, ON October 1, 2010

Well, dear friends,

it's been a long and somewhat painful day and after over 600 Km driving, I am now in little motel in the middle of nothing, but $ 59 plus GST sounds a heck of a lot better than $ 140 plus gst, which is all I could find in Thunder Bay - I am told because of the hunting season and the weekend ahead, there just are no rooms available. SO on I went, prepared to go as far as Nipigon, some 75Km ahead. I saw this en route and I am weary. There is no internet access and trying to call Steve on my cell doesn't work either. Oh well, have another drink and t hen go to bed - the pork rinds I am having with my drink will do - I'm not hungry and rhe Pizza joint across the hughway leaves me cold.

Freak accidents will happen. Two days ago I stopped at a roadside rest where they had picknick ta bles on a meadow. As I walked towards one of the tables, I stepped into a hardly visible hole in the grass with one foot and fell flat onto my upper body, and because I had my arm accross it, the power of the fall propelled the arm into my ribs - result is a cracked rib. Steve knows that the same happened to me before at Caliente Springs last Winter and certainly remembers it well because of my moaning and groaning in the days to come. As with the last event, I also have a bad case of bronchitis and coughing, which I must do often, is heer agony. Darn bad luck. It's sapped my strength and I am staggering. better get to bed - a good night will help.

I also see that I will not make it to North Bay tomorrow as I had hoped. It's some 650 KM to Sault Ste Marie and that alone requires more driving than I really like. But I'll do it.

Don't worry, be happy!

Egon

Day 6, Sault Ste. Marie, ON, October 2010

Somehow I got up too early, but on the other hand, I had gone to bed also too early. Anyway, it was pitch dark when I started out and remained so for the first 2 hours of a long drive (about 670 KM), a very winding road on the northern perimeter of Lake Superior. Outside temperature only +1C and rain squalls off and on. The road markings are excellent and I have no difficulty driving in the dark, even with only one useable eye. Later, when the sun is up and I am mostly driving into it, some spectacular vistas of the huge ocean-like lake, but there are also small lakes on the other side of the road and when it stopped raining and the sky cleared for bright sunshine, I marvel at some of the beauiful Fall colours. I stopped several times and had 20-40 winks. I am still coughing my fool head off, cringing with momentary pain as I do. Darn it. Tried to call Steve on my cell phone from various locations, but only was able to reach him in Sault Ste. Marie, where I am now in a Motel and it is only 3 pm. So now I am going to mail yesterday's and today's report to you, my friends, of whom I think fondly.

With love - Egon

#avg_ls_inline_popup { position:absolute; z-index:9999; padding: 0px 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; width: 240px; overflow: hidden; word-wrap: break-word; color: black; font-size: 10px; text-align: left; line-height: 13px;}

Yellowbird/Pat...

Please keep us posted with Egon's progress. I can't believe his stamina!

I will Tenngal, but at this point I'm a little bit worried after him falling and injuring himself, as well as developing bronchitis. He has a lot of hours to drive yet today to get to his son's house and I hope he gauges himself. I know for myself and my husband driving from PA to TN to visit our grandons in Knoxville is a 9+ hour trip and we share the driving. What he is trying to do on his own must be extremely tiring. Can't wait until he checks in tonight to let me know where he is.

Edited by yellowbird23

I will Tenngal, but at this point I'm a little bit worried after him falling and injuring himself, as well as developing bronchitis. He has a lot of hours to drive yet today to get to his son's house and I hope he gauges himself. I know for myself and my husband driving from PA to TN to visit our grandons in Knoxville is a 9+ hour trip and we share the driving. What he is trying to do on his own must be extremely tiring. Can't wait until he checks in tonight to let me know where he is.

I am also worried about him and truly admire his stamina. I don't know how he's doing it at his age and all alone. I've been praying that he gets safely to Quebec and stays healthy.

A big thank you to you, Pat for keeping us informed of his travels. I'm absolutely fascinated and inspired by this man, it will be the most wonderful year for him.

Sue

Here is the latest from Musicus. He has arrived at his son's house finally and can rest up.

Day 7 North Bay, ON, OPctober 3, 2010

I have arrived, safe from traffic accidents and speeding tickets and road weariness! It's been a long haul and I'm glad it's over. I am pretty pleased with myself, considering that I had two strikes against me - firstly only the use of one eye (the other with macular degeneration not of any use and then driving without instruments which meant guessing speeds (always on the high side!) and keeping track of distances to figure out the state of the gas tank. All went well, the car despite it's age of 20 years and soon 300,000 KM was comfortable and ran like clockwork, totally reliable. Viva il Buick!

So now a few days of rest, but a lot of catching up to do and computer problems to straighten out with Steve's help.

I'll be in touch again in a few days.

Fond greetings to all from Egon.

#avg_ls_inline_popup { position:absolute; z-index:9999; padding: 0px 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; width: 240px; overflow: hidden; word-wrap: break-word; color: black; font-size: 10px; text-align: left; line-height: 13px;}

Holy smoke!! Considering this man's age, lack of eye sight, age and condition of his car, and the thousands of miles he was driving alone, I'm amazed his son didn't say, "Dad, there is no way I'm allowing you to drive here. I'm buying you a plane ticket and I won't take no for an answer." I'm just saying....

Holy smoke!! Considering this man's age, lack of eye sight, age and condition of his car, and the thousands of miles he was driving alone, I'm amazed his son didn't say, "Dad, there is no way I'm allowing you to drive here. I'm buying you a plane ticket and I won't take no for an answer." I'm just saying....

The reason he did that is because he had a carload of things to drop off somewhere at the beginning for storage and I am quite sure that he has lots of luggage. I was thinking the same thing as you, but you have to understand that this man, irregardless of his age, loves his independence. At least for the next year, he will have people waiting on him and it should be stress-free.:p

The reason he did that is because he had a carload of things to drop off somewhere at the beginning for storage and I am quite sure that he has lots of luggage. I was thinking the same thing as you, but you have to understand that this man, irregardless of his age, loves his independence. At least for the next year, he will have people waiting on him and it should be stress-free.:p

Bless this man's heart, energy, enthusiam & Joi de Vivre!!!!!!!!!!! Will we be hearing from him on this thread? I keep checking this thread hoping to hear from "Himself"!

Bless this man's heart, energy, enthusiam & Joi de Vivre!!!!!!!!!!! Will we be hearing from him on this thread? I keep checking this thread hoping to hear from "Himself"!

I doubt that he will be able to relay any information, but will stop all correspondence from him on here that I've been getting directly from him. I thought what I could relay was sufficient and better than nothing from him, but I guess it's not.

Edited by yellowbird23

I doubt that he will be able to relay any information, but will stop all correspondence from him on here that I've been getting directly from him. I thought what I could relay was sufficient and better than nothing from him, but I guess it's not.

Oh Pat, please don't stop! :( I have been so thrilled hearing about his travels through you and think your're great to share with us. :D He said in his first email that he would not be corresponding while he was gone so it's been such a nice surprise to hear about him through you. Please keep posting, please!!

Sue

Oh Pat, please don't stop! :( I have been so thrilled hearing about his travels through you and think your're great to share with us. :D He said in his first email that he would not be corresponding while he was gone so it's been such a nice surprise to hear about him through you. Please keep posting, please!!

Sue

I feel the same way! Please keep posting updates about Egon!

I feel the same way! Please keep posting updates about Egon!

Please, please keep posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "He" has captured our hearts and spirit of adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You asked for it...here it is:

The first day, OPctober 9, 2010

There were hundreds of people; not only new passengers checking in, but mostly passengers of the ship who spent the day visiting Quebec City, and it took almost an hour for everybody to go through tthe security which was mandatory at this port. So this was rather stressful - I certainly had hoped to connect with someone who would take me through ahead of the long lines but was n't successful. No problem at the security and finally got to my cabin and was pleasantly surprised to see all my luggage in front of the door. I had gotten to know some people from Boston -he a retired surgeon- and they were most helpful in getting the stuff inside the cabin and onto the double bed (which should have been twin beds, biut this is being done today, after I talked to Noa, my room Steward. I was pretty exhausted at this point, rested a quarter of an hour and then started unpacking. One things is definite: I cannot ask anyone to share my cabin, except Steve, who would put up with the extremely crowded conditions and lack of storage space after I finished the unpacking! No way. 152 sq ft just is too small; on the Panama Canal cruise on Holland America Line, the interior cabins were all 40 sq ft larger, same size as the outside cabins on this ship. Dinner at 8 (they had me one the first sitting at 5.30 despite the acknowledgement that I would be on the second one and I had to get that changed, like the bed arrangement). The meal excellent, at a table for two, but I was alone. Because I was quite tired, I went back to the cabin very soon after eating, without doing much exploring or taking in the show; went to bed, had leg cramps and a literal "pain in the neck" caused by stress and it took a long time for me to get to sleep. Welcome aboard the "Poesia", huge, with 3013 passengers and full to the brim. Tomorrow is another day.

Just from reading the posts of this wonderfully charming gentleman, I feel like he is family. He is the exact age of my father, who writes in an almost identical style. Oh, how I wish him the trip of a lifetime, and only hope that when I am his age, I will have the stamina and la joie de vivre! God bless him throughout his year long journey!