Never too old!

Musicus

Pat - I'm so sorry you lost your father, that's never easy.

Who knows, maybe he's already met Egon on the other side.

I hope so Steve. My father drove, walked, did all the normal daily activities up until the day he died. He died in his sleep after being "tired" in a nursing home.

He lived in the nursing home just since June. His dog died the month after him and the dog was 19.

• 2 weeks later...
Happy New Year, my friends at Cruisecritic! May 2013 be good to you, keep you in good health and happy, and afford you nothing but smooth sailing -er- crusing! Many have sent Christmas Cards and good wishes, which did a lot to my Christmas spirit, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am indebted to Terri Sanders, Fran Gawron, Brenda (Ottawa), Kathy Dayka, Roberta (Marlborough MA), Shauna Mahony, Barbara Elliott, Jo-Anne Herbeck (bless her, she sent 2 Cards!), Joyce Barden, Douglas Partridge, Burm, Gail, Arlene and my drearest friend Patty Roos, who instigated at all!

I am looking forward to this year with mixed feeling. You know already I have bladder cancer, but in view of my age (I'll be 96 in a month) I don't see any value in having chemo or massive doses of radiation. So I have the intention to opt for a Cystoscopy every 5 month or so.

The other thing is my lack of speech - sure it has improved but forget it if you want intelligent conversation. I also hope that my memory loss in music will be better - I sometimes can no longer remember the beginning, or the end or the middle of it - though I doubt that many people notice, I am pretty good at faking! Over Christmas I had a Sing-Along. They have a digital grand piano here, which is also a keyboard and has an excellent organ voice. This is made by Susuki. Isn't it funny that ths company and Yamaha are equally famous for the motorcars and their musical instruments? I play each night after Dinner for 20 minutes and people love it

But, it could be worse. Apart from a persistent backache I have no pain. I am comfortable of where I live, and have a loving son who with his friend Joyce look after me. And most of all, I have FRIENDS, not only from cruisecritic but a lot more from my 1½ years cruising.

All good wishes,

Egon

Lifting my glass to one amazing man who is missed! I, as many others on CC I'm sure will do the same.

Lifting my glass to one amazing man who is missed! I, as many others on CC I'm sure will do the same.

Thank you, Pat, for again remembering and reminding us about this incredible man!

And, once again, sincere condolences on the loss of your father. It sounds like he was also one amazing and vital person! (Seems like his dog felt the same way about him and simply didn't want to continue on without him.)

Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year!

Thank you, Pat, for again remembering and reminding us about this incredible man!

And, once again, sincere condolences on the loss of your father. It sounds like he was also one amazing and vital person! (Seems like his dog felt the same way about him and simply didn't want to continue on without him.)

Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year!

Thank you Sharon. Your area that you live in is on my bucket list in the next year. Hopefully, I will make it there.

My mother told us if she died before her cat to please bury the cat with her if we could. She died exactly one month to the day that her cat died and "Puddy" was buried with her at her request.

Happy New Year!

Edited by yellowbird23

Wow, I just stumbled onto this site today and read every post in this thread. Egon was quite a guy, I wish I could have met him. He really had a long and adventuresome life.

Thanks for all who have posted on this thread. I hope his family and all posting here are doing well.

I hope so Steve. My father drove, walked, did all the normal daily activities up until the day he died. He died in his sleep after being "tired" in a nursing home.

He lived in the nursing home just since June. His dog died the month after him and the dog was 19.

Sorry Doug! I miswrote "Steve". Steve is Egon's son, as we all know.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi Dad, a full year has come and gone.

I do hope - nay expect - that your Journey and Adventures

continue to be of inspiration and compassion.

Love ~ Steve

Just look in a mirror Steve and you will see him. He was loved by many as well as an inspiration to us all.

Love~Patty (aka Yellowbird) roosp at p t d dot net

Edited by Nanny5

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Since I started reading this tread I've been unable to get Egon out of my mind. I can't understate what an inspiration he has been to me. If and when I get to the place he was when he started his adventure I would like to think I would do the same thing. I'm sure his son Steve is so proud of his father.

• 3 months later...

I just spent the last three days reading most of the threads after being sent here from another link. What an amazing story and what an amazing man. Lots of lessons to be learned,and lots of comments to be made,but the biggest, to me,is the pure courage to keep keeping on throughout our lives. ThxEgon

I was surprised to see more posts on thsi thread after so long. Unfortunatley, my husband got a new computer and all of my previous savings are gone so I can't post anything from Egon.

I did see an article about an elderly lady who decided to live on a cruise ship. However, she wanted to go on those expensive lines and it said she was paying $160,000.00 a year :eek: I know that Egon's bills were a lot less. I believe he posted once that it was between $45,000.00 and 50,000. a year. Does anyone else remember any figures?

I was surprised to see more posts on thsi thread after so long. Unfortunatley, my husband got a new computer and all of my previous savings are gone so I can't post anything from Egon.

I did see an article about an elderly lady who decided to live on a cruise ship. However, she wanted to go on those expensive lines and it said she was paying $160,000.00 a year :eek: I know that Egon's bills were a lot less. I believe he posted once that it was between $45,000.00 and 50,000. a year. Does anyone else remember any figures?

I sailed on Poesia several times with Egon. When I was seated at his table, I remember how he would react when fellow passengers would compare the rates they paid for their week. He was always silent and remained silent until the subject would change.

In one private conversation he addressed the thought that it was cheaper than a "retirement home". He was emphatic in his denial. He felt his adventure came with a premium compared with being cared for by land lubbers. He expressed the opinion that the crew and staff tried hard to avoid giving him any special treatment.

It was some time before the hotel manager agreed to do his laundry and save him the weekly trip to the port coin laundry. I have a hard time keeping track of what he wrote here and what he wrote in personal email (I have kept them all) and what we spoke about.

I do know that there were various expenses in addition to the cruise company charges. His stay and medical treatment in Cozumel is one example. I just don't remenber a figure. I wll never forget Egon.

Richard Young