If you had to (or got to!) work on a cruise ship.......

STEVE-O

If I were to work on a cruise ship, I would love to work in sales, helping people book future cruises. I wouldn't mind working in customer service, not directly with customers but behind the scenes.. kinda like administrative duties of some sort.

No, working on a cruise ship, while I LOVE cruising, would not be for me. But if I could not find employment and could on a ship, well that is where I would be.

As far as positions on the ship, NO WAY would I work in customer service. I have seen how passengers treat these people. It is embarassing to me to see this. Several time I have apologized to the staff for the way the previous passenger has treated them. They get very little respect and deal with a lot.

I have played a percussion instrument (drums and other instruments struck with a stick/mallet) since I was nine so that would be one of my choices. A second choice would be a loyalty ambassador. Unfortunately for us, we have only had one that really knew their stuff. We have had a couple that we could have taught them a thing or two. My last position option would be engine room. As an owner/operator of a bowling center, I really enjoy working on machinery. I would love the opportunity to see one in operation as a passenger but would really enjoy working on one if that was my job.

Tim

It isn't fabulous. It is hard, grueling work. Often at least 14 hours a day (up to 18 on turn days), seven days a week for upwards of 6 months. There is little thanks for a job well done, and the pay is paltry as are the rewards.

It is by far the hardest jobs I've ever had and the most thankless. I guess it is why I get so irked when people complain about rewarding the workers with grat. I am lucky as an American, I have options - many of the "crew" (not staff, but crew) don't.

Yep, that is why so little staff are from "western first world countries".

Seriously, photographer might be a cool gig (as long as you can take the rejection of people NOT wanting their photos taken, etc...)

Nope, that is not cool either. Read this blog for some interesting insights. They are not allowed to put any creativity in their work, only take the pictures the cruiseline/supervisor tells them too, they are not allowed to talk to the passengers, they also work 14 hours a day minimum, etc.

Crazy as it sounds, I would do customer relations or Loyalty Ambassador. Worked in customer service so long, it would just come naturally!

This too is one of the things owning a small business has you do is customer service. While I get to work my passion, most people don't get that opportunity and I am very lucky, but this is the part I hate. No matter how hard you work for people to have a enjoyable time you still have those that Jesus Christ himself cannot please.

Tim

I would teach bellydance(cash only extra income) and when I'm not doing that I'll be either a cruise host, work in reservations, shore excursions. and customer service if not a cruise Director that will host Rocky Horror Picture Show at least 1 night on every cruise I sail. But reality, I can make more stateside doing retail.

Alrana

just choose any of the following for me please!

IT guy - its what I do already

Musician - trombone, baritone, guitar, bass... just pick one.

cruise director - experience as summer camp counselor!

Captain - why not... I can dream right?

Yep, that is why so little staff are from "western first world countries".

Nope, that is not cool either. Read this blog for some interesting insights. They are not allowed to put any creativity in their work, only take the pictures the cruiseline/supervisor tells them too, they are not allowed to talk to the passengers, they also work 14 hours a day minimum, etc.

Actually, the reason so little staff are from "western first world countries" is because it is considerably cheaper to higher from poorer nations. Labor laws are less stringent (ever wonder WHY these ships aren't flagged in EU or US? - labor laws, folks), etc.

Look at NCLA. Started with three US flagged ships with US workers. Now they have one. Guess why? They underestimated the cost of employing US workers who wont put up with the crap that ship crew puts up with day in and day out.

I'd take a customer service job! I'm good at keeping folks happy.:)

I don't know, if there are 3000 people on board, 5-10 are going to be impossible no matter what you do. I remember standing in line to get a refund for a canceled excursion and seeing some guy just get all angry with a CSR over something she had no control over. I would have come across the counter and pummeled him.

I'd like to be the Captain's wife...they are the luckiest women in the world as they only have to put up with his crap 10 weeks at a time.

LOL -- How true! That is, unless you're Chantal (Captain Trym's wife). Does anyone know whether she went to Oasis with him? If so, is she managing the Windjammer there too, or doing something else?

You want to know a secret? We are directed to tell guests that. How much fun would it be for you to hear "they work me until my feet actually bleed. I have fallen arches and no medical coverage. I suffer from depression because I go months without a day off. I have never seen more of the ports of call than a quick trip to a supermarket or general store will provide"?

That is the life of crew. Staff, sometimes, has it different. But crew (your waiters, bartenders, stateroom stewards etc) have it hellishly bad.

Just because choices are bad at home, does not justify how bad it is on the ship. You do realize we live in a room smaller than a Cat Q that we share with at least three other people. There are no health benefits, no retirement benefits, the pay for some positions is as little as $10 A DAY.

Crew eats separately. Mass produced and what is left over from the WJ. Staff can eat at some locations. If crew wants to eat at other restaurants they have to pay and be off the clock. And they better hope the passengers don't recognize them.

Next you're going to tell me that the cabin steward and bartenders don't love the cheese curds I bring them from home as a thank you gift!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

I can't imagine why anyone would think that most any of these jobs would be ones that they'd really enjoy doing for more than a few weeks. As you say in your other post, most Americans would not put up with the crap that the other employees would. That doesn't make it right, but it's the truth. If I'm going to be on a cruise ship, why should I have to work? Making balloon animals for kids is not my idea of fun.

It's a deal :D

So many are taking this fun thread too serious :(

###

That is because this "fun" thread ignores the hellish reality that is cruiseship work.

Be my guest go and do any of the jobs the CREW does. For one month. You'll never think of "customer service" or bartending, or waiting as a "fun" job again. Not even the Loyalty Ambassador. To claim it would be "so much fun" ignores the reality.

thelion what was it you did for the cruiseline?

I have no doubt it is hard. I could never imagine working 7 days a week without any days off.

I worked in guest relations, waitstaff, bar, youth services, I did retail, I worked in the Purser's Office and I was a Confidential Secretary. I have worked for several lines. I did it to save money and travel and now that I am done, I will never go back.

Actually, the reason so little staff are from "western first world countries" is because it is considerably cheaper to higher from poorer nations. Labor laws are less stringent (ever wonder WHY these ships aren't flagged in EU or US? - labor laws, folks), etc.

Look at NCLA. Started with three US flagged ships with US workers. Now they have one. Guess why? They underestimated the cost of employing US workers who wont put up with the crap that ship crew puts up with day in and day out.

higher????:rolleyes:

You want to know a secret? We are directed to tell guests that. How much fun would it be for you to hear "they work me until my feet actually bleed. I have fallen arches and no medical coverage. I suffer from depression because I go months without a day off. I have never seen more of the ports of call than a quick trip to a supermarket or general store will provide"?

That is the life of crew. Staff, sometimes, has it different. But crew (your waiters, bartenders, stateroom stewards etc) have it hellishly bad.

Just because choices are bad at home, does not justify how bad it is on the ship. You do realize we live in a room smaller than a Cat Q that we share with at least three other people. There are no health benefits, no retirement benefits, the pay for some positions is as little as $10 A DAY.

You know what, there are a lot of people on the street sleeping or in shacks :rolleyes:

Crew eats separately. Mass produced and what is left over from the WJ. Staff can eat at some locations. If crew wants to eat at other restaurants they have to pay and be off the clock. And they better hope the passengers don't recognize them.

We actually seen these guy's having fun off the ship and there was no way they were hiding any sorrow. We also chatted to an Aussie photographer and she was more than happy with working the cruisline. At the end of the day, its their choice to do this. I am in no doubt they work hard and sometimes dont get any time off, but you know what? I have done that for many years in the past, its life, you work hard you get rewards in later life.

And the staff eating left overs............. no they were not, they were eating the same time as passengers from the same buffet. Maybe you were on a different cruisline, a different time, maybe you hated it more than others, I dont know, but its not the same with all staff, maybe some handle it better than others. I appreciate all the staff when I am on vacation but they are doing the job they applied for.

So many are taking this fun thread too serious :(

###

I know. I don't understand why the second someone starts a fantasy or friendly conversation thread, a million people jump on and bite our heads off. What's the point of these boards? No one said that working on a cruise was easy or constant fun or ideal- the point is just to name what job we'd be interested in. It's a discussion game. No one made light of the real jobs and no one is acting like they can just jump on a ship and be cool. That's not what this thread is about. It's not supposed to be based in reality.

I'm sorry if they're bitter from their experiences, but I'm not sure why they think it will help to come on an internet discussion group and put down other people's joy.... :(

I know. I don't understand why the second someone starts a fantasy or friendly conversation thread, a million people jump on and bite our heads off. What's the point of these boards? No one said that working on a cruise was easy or constant fun or ideal- the point is just to name what job we'd be interested in. It's a discussion game. No one made light of the real jobs and no one is acting like they can just jump on a ship and be cool. That's not what this thread is about. It's not supposed to be based in reality.

I'm sorry if they're bitter from their experiences, but I'm not sure why they think it will help to come on an internet discussion group and put down other people's joy.... :(

Its like you said, its an internet discussion group and anyone can join in and give their opinion or thoughts, I am sure it will not ruin peoples fun and joy. These conversations often digress its all part of the package.:)

Archived