If you had to (or got to!) work on a cruise ship.......

STEVE-O

I'm a nurse and all of my co-workers are always saying "you should work on a cruise ship" (they may want to get rid of me):p So if I can't be the captain, guess I could be the ship nurse---BUT ONLY IF I CAN BRING MY DOG!;) He would work in the Windjammer keeping the floors "food-free" and he'd be great!

I'm a nurse and all of my co-workers are always saying "you should work on a cruise ship" (they may want to get rid of me):p So if I can't be the captain, guess I could be the ship nurse---BUT ONLY IF I CAN BRING MY DOG!;) He would work in the Windjammer keeping the floors "food-free" and he'd be great!

I'm a nurse, and we have often talked about being the ship nurse - and DH would be a dance gigalo, back in the day. But, we have a cat. We had a great conversation on my workout circuit last week. My cat could be a seeing-eye cat. Help my find the champagne after a long day in the clinic.

I have wondered if the cruiselines have those! Where do we sign up? :D

Fresh out of college I worked with some companies that did mystery shopping, one of them did cruises. I think at the time I worked for them they had some European RCI cruises, and that was pretty much the main reason why I joined them but they asked that I did some smaller jobs before taking a cruise ship and I did but eventually I had to go get a real job and had to abandon the idea.

Still, it may not be as awesome as it sounds. I mystery shopped restaurants and there was so much you had to be paying attention the whole time, I had to constantly go to the bathroom to take notes because I would forget, kinda makes it less enjoyable.

I would work in Adventure Ocean. To the person who says that cruiselines allow teachers to work for them in their time off.... Which one are you referring to? I attempted that back a few years ago and they told me they do not do contracts that short.

Perhaps it works like customer service, if I called again I would get someone who would tell me the complete opposite!

They do take on "seasonal" youth staff in the holiday's to help with extra kid counts. It does help if you have a teaching degree getting these positions (you have to have a degree to be youth staff at all), and it especially helps if you're bi-lingual.

I have worked on (many) ships. I have been on the CD staff, waitcrew, Purser's office, clerical staff, entertainment, bar crew, and guest relations.

It isn't fabulous. It is hard, grueling work. Often at least 14 hours a day (up to 18 on turn days), seven days a week for upwards of 6 months. There is little thanks for a job well done, and the pay is paltry as are the rewards.

It is by far the hardest jobs I've ever had and the most thankless. I guess it is why I get so irked when people complain about rewarding the workers with grat. I am lucky as an American, I have options - many of the "crew" (not staff, but crew) don't.

WORKING on a cruise ship is NOTHING like vacationing on a cruise....I wouldn't want ANY job on a ship! It's hard, grueling work....you're away from your loved ones for months at a time....you don't get the "good" food or the nice rooms....you're sharing with other employees that you don't know (or particularly like) in cabins that are smaller than what the passengers get....it's NOT fun...and there's no time for fun! It's WORK...I can do that on land, and have my own space to relax in, with my own friends and family!

I can honestly think of no job on a cruise ship that I would want. The work is really grueling, and as CB said, it's the opposite of what we experience as passengers. No job on the ship is easy. I don't mind working hard, but I can't think of one that would be worth it.

They do take on "seasonal" youth staff in the holiday's to help with extra kid counts. It does help if you have a teaching degree getting these positions (you have to have a degree to be youth staff at all), and it especially helps if you're bi-lingual.

Strange! My resume included my Masters in teaching, my teaching experience, and the fact that I was director of a a summer camp for many years. Like I said, perhaps I didn't get the right person when I went through the process. :confused:

I would want to be a singer or dancer. I can’t sing or dance but it seems as if they work very little and get to have port days off. If not that then being a teacher I would want to work in the kids clubs.

I would want to be a singer or dancer. I can’t sing or dance but it seems as if they work very little and get to have port days off. If not that then being a teacher I would want to work in the kids clubs.

I've seen the entertainers selling T shirts on the pool deck and dressed like pirates for the annoying photos at the pier.Saw one of the ice skaters helping the Loyalty Am.

:cj

The person who does the shopping lectures. Wouldn't it be great to shop and critique the shops. Also, you probably get good deals.

They get told what to say, and could actually get in trouble for taking "good deals." I know that they used to have to undergo lie detector tests to make sure they were being scrupulous in the dealings with shops.

I've seen the entertainers selling T shirts on the pool deck and dressed like pirates for the annoying photos at the pier.Saw one of the ice skaters helping the Loyalty Am.

:cj

The ice skater would've being getting paid extra to do that as a "side job."

Archived