Live/Silver Cloud: Norway Coast/Fjords July 1-16 Reports

TLCOhio

It’s late afternoon and part of the packing up is completed, etc.

Been dealing with the TOTAL IDIOT in charge of finances on this ship who doesn’t want to believe the written e-mail from Laura, the Reservation Supervisor in Ft. Lauderdale, who had confirmed before starting this cruise about the added 3% credit charge we would get hit with (because Silversea uses a UK processor). She told me clearly and in writing I could write a check to settle up my account. Sadly, these finance people do not understand customer relations and/or that ship people do not know the details on how this secret charge hits your credit card when you return home. VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!

For better news, I have some visuals to share, plus more to come. Below is some from a galley tour, including with the pasta-making operation on this ship for daily, fresh production of this great dining delight.

To answer an earlier question, here are some exact size details. The balcony is 64” deep by a width of 110”. The closet’s overall size is 48.75” by 71”. Within that space are the various drawers, etc. The bath has an overall size of 58” (tub width) by 85”. That 85” size is a little misleading as there is an angle taken out for the door, plus some angling with the sink’s set-up and cabinet. This gives you a better ideas on these detailed specifics.

For this journey, our total miles were 3271 nautical miles. This was from the original plan. A few more miles were added to do the Trollfjord and as the Captain adjusted some plans to avoid rougher waters in the open seas. The longest segment was July 1-3 in going from Copenhagen to Flam for our first fjord experience.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

During a galley tour, we talked with Chef Douglas Hope and then saw the pasta-making operations.:

Chef.jpg

The pasta is made fresh each day starting with this very fine mix from Italy. Only one type and color of pasta is used and made. Fresh eggs, etc., are added.:

GalleyPastaMix.jpg

This pasta machine is super sophisticated and expensive. It has different attachments to produce ravioli, etc. They can produce over 100 different types of pasta with this machine. This chef also custom makes the sauces each day for La Terrazza.:

GalleyPastaMachine.jpg

In the Panorama Lounge late in the one of the afternoons, they had a chocolate special with lots and lots of desserts and treats all from that magic item. Plus, there was nice piano music while you enjoyed.:

CloudChocBarPiano.jpg

As we sailed out from Bergen after 11 pm, here was the spectacular sunset from the Silver Cloud. Shown are the two dancers on the ship who performed and gave lessons. Beautiful!!!!:

CloudSunsetDancers.jpg

Terry, I believe you, with your enthusiastic and succinct postings and magnificent photos, will be single-handedly responsible for an upsurge in SilverSea booking for the Arctic cruise next year!

What a magnificent journal! Bravo!

From our earlier sea day, July 12, here are some pictures from our dinner at Le Champagne. The pictures tell so much of the great story. There were so many wonderful courses, that it takes two posts to show fully the range of what we enjoyed.

Here’s an overview of the setting for the Le Champagne dinner. It is a roomy setting for a small group of only sixteen people this evening. There are five different menu options, two from France, one from Italy, one from Spain and one from America with wines paired for each different course. For this evening, our theme was “Best of Burgundy”.:

LeChampRoomOverview.jpg

The first course has these various bite-sized “Tastes of Burgundy” as a “light”, opening sampler. The cone-shape items were a fois gras blend where each at our table got one of these treats.:

LeChampOpeningDish.jpg

This was the second course featuring, what else, Burgundy snails with herb butter and tomato fondue.:

LeChampSnailsCheese.jpg

This was the main course of whole roasted chicken with crayfish with a Pinot Noir wine.:

LeChampMainChickenDish.jpg

Then there was this “cheese course” of a Burgundy cheese brioche with fresh grape coulis.

LeChampCheeseDish.jpg

Next was this little extra light delight in this nicely style glass added before the grand finish. Dessert and more? Read the next post!:

LeChampSpecialAdded.jpg

Here is more from the “Best of Burgundy” at Le Champagne.

Here is Le Champagne Chef Randy Acenas and Maitre D’ Adian Matei visiting our table near the end of our dining in this special room.:

LeChampChefVisit.jpg

Here is the spectacular dessert, called Chocolate Eiffel Tower. One person at our table, not me, as they say . . . “ate the WHOLE THING!”. Very rich and great looking!:

LeChampChocDessert.jpg

If you want an after-dinner drink in this room, here is a sample of the selections. What’s missing?:

LeChampLiquor.jpg

Later in the evening, there is piano playing and entertainment in the Panorama Lounge at the back of the Silver Cloud on the scenic 8th level. He has a computer screen, so that guests can sing along as Sharon from the Washington, DC, area and Sheila from near Oxford in the UK are doing here.:

CloudSingingKar.jpg

Another example of late evening fun was this session of “Liar’s Club”. They all told good and interesting stories for what a word or phase meant. Then teams had to determine which one was telling the truth.:

CloudLiarsClub.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Wow, your last set of pics are amazing, and so nice to finally put a face to the incredible "reporter".

Is the food salty, for someone on a low sodium diet, would they feel the difference?

Edited by Decebal
spelling

Terry, I believe you, with your enthusiastic and succinct postings and magnificent photos, will be single-handedly responsible for an upsurge in SilverSea booking for the Arctic cruise next year!

What a magnificent journal! Bravo!

Terry,

I completely agree with Basedow. Your reports and photos will certainly drive interest in Silversea and particularly in this itinerary. I am very glad that I booked the 2011 North Cape trip (on the Silver Whisper - my favorite ship) three weeks ago!

Thanks again for your dedication and thoroughness. Have a safe trip home.

-Peter

Bergen is not only a super lovely city with such great history, BUT, on July 14, for our to visit there from 8 am to 11 pm, the weather turned out to be spectacular.

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' shops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums is highly-rated with religious icon, local art, etc.

We did a special two-hour tour for our group of six with Anne Lien, the owner of Bergen Guide Service. You can reach Anne at http://www.bergenguideservice.no or by e-mail at anne@bergenguideservice.no.

Anne was super great in giving us the details about the unique history of the Hanseatic merchants, how their building were built, what’s caused the crooked-look of today and what’s being done to preserve these unique structures. Plus, so much more about Norway, its people, the current economy, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway.

Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobbled streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen.

For July 14, the average high is 62 and a low of 51; record high of 73 and record low of 44 on this date. Sunrise of 4:37 am and sunset of 10:50 pm. Latitude: 60.4° N.

Tourism Office: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

We docked at the fairly handy Skoltegrunskaien Pier. This put us within about a 10-15 minute walk of the main attractions at the market and warehouse area. We were in port with the somewhat small Adriana III that we saw in other Norway Coast ports, 2720-passenger Costa Magica, 450-passenger Seabourn Sojourn (that was just inaugurated in June and where they would not allow the Silver Cloud Captain to visit while they shared a common port stop on July 14) and the 2568-passenger MSC Poesia.

Below are the first of three groups of visual highlights from Bergen.

THANKS for the added, nice comments! Keep it coming. Questions and suggestions? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

In Bergen, this is the great vista on this sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

As we did our tour of the Hanseatic merchants warehouses in Bergen, this is the view with in the background stone building is shown that was used to store records and valuables that would be safer from fire than if held in the wooden buildings.:

BergenStoneBldgs.jpg

With our guide, Anne, this shows more of the warehouse building where fish products would be stored until they were ready to ship to other cities in Europe.:

BergenHistWarehouseStone.jpg

The space between these various wooden warehouse buildings is very narrow. It is not just the fronts that are 300-years old and historic. These buildings stretch back at some distance with various shops and offices here.

BergenTourGuideHistArea.jpg

Near the tourism office in its historic building is a shopping near the Fish Market. In this area is this building and the statute in the square.:

BergenStatueBlueBldg.jpg

This picture shows the Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background. On the top left, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Here is group two of added pictures from lovely Bergen. For those who have been to Bergen, do these shots cover many of the key attractions in this charming city?

These are the building fronts in the historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse area.:

BergenHistoricBldgLineUp.jpg

Right nearby is the Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

Here’s a closer look at these historic building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

In the Hanseatic warehouse area, this folk music group is entertaining as people sit outside, drink beer (at $12 each) and enjoy the great weather day.:

BergenFolkSingers.jpg

In the market area, here’s one of the sales tent offerings for local woolen products.

BergenWoolenStore.jpg

From the Silver Cloud as the sun is getting ready to set, here is the view of the Bergen harbor on our sail away at 11 pm.:

BergenPortSunsetting.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Here’s round three on some of my many Bergen pictures.

From higher, here’s a view of the Fish Market area and other buildings in the main part of Bergen.

BergenFishMarkTown.jpg

Here’s one of the statutes overlooking and guarding the Fish Market.:

BergenFishMarketStatute.jpg

More historic building details in Bergen.

BergenHistoricBldgDetails.jpg

What do people from Ohio who are OSU fans do when visiting scenic places like Bergen? They spell out O-H-I-O!!! Go Bucks!

BergenOHIOspellOut.jpg

Thank you so much Terry for the pictures and wonderful live updates. I feel like I was on the cruise with you all :)

If I wasn't sure before, I know I made the right choice with this same cruise on the Whisper in 2011!

Have a safe trip home.

Terry, you are so lucky. The Wind docked in exactly the same place and because of timing problems we walked to the merchant area with the rain coming down sideways. I will say, however, once we got there they made out well. We took the excursion to Ollie Bulle's house (a great Norwegian violinist) which despite the rain was wonderful. Did you enjoy your trip across the roof of Norway, despite the weather, and did you do the farm trip?

To answer an earlier question, here are some exact size details. The balcony is 64” deep by a width of 110”. The closet’s overall size is 48.75” by 71”. Within that space are the various drawers, etc. The bath has an overall size of 58” (tub width) by 85”. That 85” size is a little misleading as there is an angle taken out for the door, plus some angling with the sink’s set-up and cabinet. This gives you a better ideas on these detailed specifics.
We are so impressed to see measurements even though we didn't ask for it this time ..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=112477

Several years back a "JackfromWA" wrote such a good report in the Oceania column of this board that it ended up as a published book. He should have been given the "posting of the year" award if there was one. Perhaps you should get that this year!

I wanted to thank everyone for thier posting. I look forward to our Siliverseas trip in Oct 3rd from Istanbaul to Venice on the Cloud. If your on our trip please let us know. Looking forward to this trip and our next. See you on the Cloud. :)

We are so impressed to see measurements even though we didn't ask for it this time. Several years back a "JackfromWA" wrote such a good report in the Oceania column of this board that it ended up as a published book. He should have been given the "posting of the year" award if there was one. Perhaps you should get that this year!

I wanted to thank everyone for thier posting. I look forward to our Siliverseas trip in Oct 3rd from Istanbaul to Venice on the Cloud. If your on our trip please let us know. Looking forward to this trip and our next. See you on the Cloud. :)

THANKS for the added, nice comments! Don't know that I'll be turning my reports into a book and/or that there would be that much interest to kill the trees to print it, but it is a much appreciate comment.

For canyonman, good luck on your upcoming Silver Cloud sailing in the eastern Med. In 2006 on the Seabourn Spirit, we much loved our first cruise as we went from Athens to Istanbul, with added time before and after in those two super great and historic cities. I would suggest doing a separate "ROLL CALL" on this Silversea Cruise Critic board to connect with those traveling on that cruise with you. The roll call for this cruise attracted lots of interest and helpful connections that made our Norway Coast cruise work so well. Also, go to the Greek and Other Med board for added ideas and tips in connection with those popular areas.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

It’s early Saturday morning, writing as I overlooking London’s Terminal 3 and one of the main runways from the Club Lounge at the Heathrow Renaissance Hotel. It’s not the Silver Cloud’s Terrace or Panorama Lounge overlooking the water with super service and food, but I’ll survive, maybe. Plus, it’s sunny with blue skies and free, fast Internet service. That’s a great idea for Silversea management on the web connections! (That’s another story. More later.)

Due to using American Airline Frequent Flyer miles, we could not do a single day return flight arrangement to Columbus, Ohio. So we stayed overnight here and used the Piccadilly Line train to go to Leicester Square and this heart of such an upbeat and vibrant London. Lots of activities are there in London. We were last there for five days after our first 2006 Greek Isles-Turkish Coast cruise. London continues to be a hip, happening city. Lots of people, wide diversity and so much activity. We saw the super neat "Thirty Nine Steps" comedy-mystery play in a wonderfully old and charming theatre right on Piccadilly Circle. We had mezzanine, front tickets (at only twenty five pounds each) for a well-done play by an excellent cast of only four people that won two Tony Awards, plus other honors. Super fun!

GETTING OFF THE SILVER CLOUD? We had our last meal on the Silver Cloud in the same place and at the same wonderful table overlooking the Copenhagen harbor, Opera House, etc., as did with our opening lunch on July 1. Great blue, sunny skies, etc., too! Lots of new friends and faces to remember.

Contrary to the push/spin by the Guest Relations Manager (you won’t be able to get a cab at the dock) he used to get us to pay $89 a person for the transfer, there were plenty of cabs there throughout the morning. We could have easily done it out our own. We did the Silversea transfer to the airport and it worked out fine, but overpriced. We drove through the heart of Copenhagen and saw many of our favorite sites that we had enjoyed there in 2008 and before our cruise this year. We had a 2 pm flight to Heathrow so we had plenty of time. There were a number of our fellow cruise passengers on this British Air flight to London.

PAYING FINAL BILL? After getting the hassle from the ship finance guy, I showed him on my laptop the June 28 e-mail from a key staff supervisor at Silversea Ft. Lauderdale headquarters acknowledging that there is an extra 3% fee slapped on US customers using their MasterCard or Visa to make their final account payments and that I could avoid that by paying with a personal check. He suggested that I could get the cash or travelers checks to avoid that extra charge. Hard to do while at sea, right? He got his boss from Monaco on the phone and I talked with her. She confirmed the cute game of how the added 3% fee is tacked on and said they would take my check, as that was what I had been told. Doing me a favor by taking my check! I understand their policy, but their team is some not clear in their communications and knowledge. When taking the check, the staff finance guy kept looking and looking at the check as if he was worried about dealing with a big-time con artist. He later called and wanted a photo copy of my Ohio drivers license and passport. Just got to be sure, right? More hassles, but it got done. Of course, they knew in advance, that I didn’t want to be hit with the extra $30 for the “voluntary”, for “my convience” charge, to their cancer charity. There have been many posts about this issue on these boards and I predict this “game” will end in the upcoming future. People hate these “tricks”. The chief finance person in Monaco was very nice and I can explain more, later, if needed, on how the 3% card rip-off works. It’s true. The finance people at Silversea could and should learn some “customer relations” skills. Compared to all of the super great people with this cruise line, a few should “get with the program”. Little "slips" do happen and this was one.

Now it’s getting ready for our 12:50 pm American Airlines flight back to Chicago and then Columbus where our friends, Janet and Denny, who were on the cruise with us, will pick us up at the airport. Then, Sunday, it will be more culture shock in returning to normal life, plus the good news of picking up our two labs, Roxie and Rudy, from Camp Canine.

More fjord, departing and ship pictures will follow, if you're not too bored with these visuals and details. Overall, I took over 3000 pictures on this trip. On the long trans-Atlantic flight back, I will be sorting out more, tossing the lesser and duplicate photo shots, etc.

Any special pictures or questions of interest? I will also offer some of my suggestions for improving our first Silversea experience. It was great, but nothing is perfect and there are always ideas for improvement. Plus, answering the question of . . . whether the Silver Cloud is too old and worn?

Thank you so much Terry for the pictures and wonderful live updates. I feel like I was on the cruise with you all :) If I wasn't sure before, I know I made the right choice with this same cruise on the Whisper in 2011! Have a safe trip home.

Good luck, Laura, on your 2011 cruise. As I recall, your upcoming cruise is with the same stops and schedule as we did in 2010. BUT, per the Captain, June might not be as good for weather in this area as what you would have in July. PLUS, we had wonderful, above normal temperatures and great luck. Weather can be chancy in this region. When it works well, it's great.

I hope Terry and all the great people we met on that segment got home safely and without much hassle. It was a terrific trip! As I recall, Terry had a very good time even tho' nothing is perfect! As this new crowd has boarded, I am REALLY missing you guys! A group of 100, with lots of childere in tow, and the verdict is still out! Hope we all get to sail together again. Beautiful day in the Keil/Kiel Canal.

More fjord, departing and ship pictures will follow, if you're not too bored with these visuals and details.

Hi Terry

No way are we bored...I'm sure everyone is disappointed that your cruise has finished.:)

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pics and hearing more of your 'Cloud' thoughts. I'm sailing on her in November through the Panama Canal.

Cheers

Jennifer

We got home last night @ 9:00 PM. I must say this is the best SS cruise that we have ever experienced; great scenery, nice people, and a great crew. As we go back to work, we continue to look for updates on a daily basis from Duct Tape!!!

Jody

Good afternoon Duct Tape ( and companion !!! ). Having arrived back in the UK safely and without hassle J & I would like to thank you both for making our trip so special.

It was, as well recorded by Terry, a very special Cruise aided by good weather,a superb Crew and a good bunch of guests. Silversea should be very proud of The Cloud family and hopefully will listen to their Venetian members and keep this lovely ship in service for many years to come.

We wish you a happy current cruise ( albeit I guess that the Guest make up is somewhat different ? ) and many more to come - we hope to catch up with you again soon. Have fun.

Due to using American Airline Frequent Flyer miles, we could not do a single day return flight arrangement to Columbus, Ohio.

Now it’s getting ready for our 12:50 pm American Airlines flight back to Chicago and then Columbus

Truly enjoyed the commentary and fabulous photos, Terry. Safe travels home through our fair city today!

Patty

I hope Terry and all the great people we met on that segment got home safely and without much hassle. It was a terrific trip! As I recall, Terry had a very good time even tho' nothing is perfect! As this new crowd has boarded, I am REALLY missing you guys! A group of 100, with lots of childere in tow, and the verdict is still out! Hope we all get to sail together again. Beautiful day in the Keil/Kiel Canal.

THANKS, duct tape, for the update and report that we are being "MISSED"! Having breakfast at Heathrow showed that "real life" can be very, very shocking. Ordered Eggs Benedict, had to ask twice for extra sauce, never got it, one of the eggs was hard, not soft. Then, they wanted to be paid. It wasn't like that on the Silver Cloud. I much prefer breakfast on the Terrace outdoor deck!

Everything worked well on our two flights from Heathrow to Chicago and then Chicago home to Columbus. Left a little late from Heathrow, but arrived on time at O'Hare. The security lines were huge and slow at Chicago, but our American Airlines Gold/Priority status helped save some time. Got a full body scan in Chicago. Passed!!! This was my first time doing this procedure. It was so exacting that it knew there was "something" in my back pocket. It was a handkerchief and a folded piece of paper.

Our bags all arrived fine Saturday night. Ran into a long-time friend who was on our flights home from Heathrow. Their daughter just graduated with a Masters after two years at the London School of Economics.

Woke up Sunday at 4 am EDT (10 am in Norway and Denmark) after going to bed at 11 pm (5 am in Europe). Getting the body clock back in shape will take a little time.

Lots more pictures and details to share after working on these things on the flights and waits on the journey back. BUT, a long flight in coach is less than ideal for typing and writing on the laptop after doing our previous two cruise trans-Atlantic crossing in business class. It makes you appreciate even more . . . ALL OF THAT SPACE and many options on the Silver Cloud to hang out, relax, etc.

BUT, we're home safe and sound. It's hot here, but there was rain while we were gone so that our many flowers at home look great. Getting our two labs this afternoon.

Talked with our son in Charlottesville, Va., while in Chicago. He and his wife have our first grandchild due in mid-October. It will be a BOY!!! All is going well there.

In answer to that earlier question about our next cruise, we need to get things settled on this first grandchild before planning that next trip. Plus, as my wife is planning retirement from work as a School Nurse in mid 2012, that will allow more flexibility to do places such as New Zealand, Australia, Croatian Coast, etc., at better times than only that narrow summer timing period.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio