Up to date views on Veendam please

We're booked for 28 days next March, Rio to Fort Lauderdale. I've read two things in these forums on which I'd appreciate views. The first is that the Veendam's air conditioning is inadequate. The second is that the new balcony cabins at the back of the ship (we're in one: 76) get flooded from the Retreat immediately above. :confused:

I was on the Veendam to Bermuda last month and found the AC to be fine. I like it cold and was comfortable when I slept. It wasn't terribly hot though, so perhaps it varies with the weather conditions.

I can't speak for the balconies on the stern, but I was in 072, which is as far aft as they go on the port side, and never had any issues with flooding.

The second is that the new balcony cabins at the back of the ship (we're in one: 76) get flooded from the Retreat immediately above. :confused:

It was my understanding that it was the inside cabins that were being flooded by the poolette. I also understood that HAL stopped putting water in the poolette until the problem could be fixed.

I don't know if the source of the problem was ever rectified.

I was on Veendam the first week of June. They still had water in the poolette (very funny, Ruth!) on our cruise. I didn't hear anything about flooded cabins, but I didn't meet anyone staying in cabins under the Retreat.

We were on Deck 5 and in both the outside cabin we had and the inside cabin our friend had, the thermostats were purely decorative. Our friend froze, no matter what she did with the thermostat. And we were warm, despite turning the thermostat down. It wasn't terribly warm, but it was stuffy, which made it feel warmer than it was. Public areas seemed evenly cool.

We were on Veendam same week as 3rdGenCunarder and had problems with a stuffy cabin from the get-go. I cannot tolerate humidity and have the problem 24 hours to correct itself. When that didn't happen, called the front desk (dial 90 from your cabin phone), told them that my cabin was stuffy and humid, and an engineer showed up to fix the problem. Turns out there was no AC coming out of the right side of the air vent which was fixed. After that, completely comfortable (for us).

Didn't hear any passengers talking about problems with rooms under the retreat. There were signs on the Lido deck aft (as you leave the Lido Restaurant heading out to the Retreat area) asking passengers to be mindful of guests whose cabins were below (in other words, keep the noise level down).

Archived