If you had to choose 1 specialty restaurant, which would it be??

We don't sail until March of 2011, but like any obsessive planner:D, I am already thinking about which restaurants I would like to try!!!

So, for those of you that have dined on the Oasis, which restaurants really impressed you with the quality of food, and why.

We will probably only dine at 1, or maybe 2 specialty restaurants. We are open to any kind of food, well, except for my hubby, he won't do sushi.

Oh, we will be on the Allure. But I am guessing that the food will be comparable.

Thanks for any replies!!!

Easy answer. We got off the ship today, and ate in all of the specialty restaurants (other than the Solarium Bistro, which we just didn't get to).

If the "Chef's Table" counts, then that would be #1, especially if you like wine.

If you don't count that as a restaurant, then Chops.

This is based on quality of food, service and overall experience.

-Chris

Easy answer. We got off the ship today, and ate in all of the specialty restaurants (other than the Solarium Bistro, which we just didn't get to).

If the "Chef's Table" counts, then that would be #1, especially if you like wine.

If you don't count that as a restaurant, then Chops.

This is based on quality of food, service and overall experience.

-Chris

Thank you for replying!!! Not really much of a wine drinker, hubby is more of a beer type, and I love fruity mixed drinks. Will have to check out the menu though!!! Chops would be great. We are steak lovers. We did Portifino on the Freedom, and then wished we would have done Chop's also. Oh well, another reason to take another cruise;)!!!!

Hi there! We only ate at Chops Grille, none of the others. We loved the food. The filet is really, really good. The atmosphere was great too. We didn't think the service was very good, though. That was the only "miss" for us.

But I wouldn't complain, and I'd do it again!

We didn't have room for dessert, so they told us to stop by another night and they could give us carry-out desserts. We never did, but we thought this was a nice touch.

As a future cruiser, if I had to try only one, it would be 150 CP.

But, we are doing them ALL! Including the Chef's Table. :D

Yum! This is one reason we booked MTD on this cruise. We'll be eating at several specialty restaurants just because I don't want to miss out. :)

We are just off today and tried Giovanni's Table this time. It was very good, but I prefer Portofino's menu. We went early and our service was good until the restaurant got crowded and our server had a large party....then we didn't see him for quite some time. We have been to Chops on the Mariner, and I think next time I would go back there.

I'd like to know the answer aswell. Reserved central park restaurant, any reviews?

Like I said, we did them all. Did CP 150 with the wine pairings. Every dish would make a fabulous photo for a cook book or restaurant advertisement--- but few really "popped" for me. Service was awesome, if a bit "scripted" (but that's ok). Very attentive. Fun descriptions of the food and wine. But, for me, the food did not distinguish itself enough. Several of the courses had obviously spent some quality time under the heat lamps overcooking before being prepped and served (e.g., fish was very dry).

If you dine out at super high-end restaurants frequently, and appreciate innovation (while understanding that you will be disappointed some time), then you will be satisfied and, if you get lucky, thrilled.

The Chef's Table, on the other hand, was just fantastic on all levels.

One caveat, as my wife will tell you, I hate everything and am constantly disappointed. ;-)

Bottom line, if I could do only one "fancy" dinner and Chef's Table were not an option, I would probably do CP 150 on a formal night or Chops if I wanted a predictably great and hearty meal (albeit too informal if you're wearing a tux, as I happened to be).

-Chris

We tried them all on our January cruise (never got around to the main dining room); and we have only chosen to go back to just one on our October sailing: 150 Central Park. We thought the menus were so interesting, presentation was lovely, and the food was really good. We had to go back twice on the January cruise to try their second menu. It did not disappoint.

Thank you everyone for replying!!! Thanks swwake for jumping over here and giving me your opinion:), it is appreciated!!!!!

Sounds like Chops is a definite keeper. We really love steaks, so this is really a no-brainer for us:D!

We also really love Italian, and it doesn't have to come from the Olive Garden;). So, that is another possibility if we decide to do a second restaurant.

We tried Giovanni's one night and it was DISGUSTING! Mabye it's because the menu is in italian but we basically had no idea what we were ordering most of the time, and when we asked our waitress what something was she just laughed and said "I can only speak the Italian but I honestly have no idea what I'm saying!" ... If you can consider Johnny Rockets a specialty restaurant (haha), that was our favorite, although we wanted to try Chops after eating Giovanni's.

We went to 150 Central Park and Chops (and Seafood Shack - which was fun!) - for me Chops beat 150 CP hands down. The steak was fantastic in chops and the missus said the mud pie was the best dessert she's ever had! 150 CP was one of those where I can say I've tried it but for me it was just a little too serious and pretentious.

BTW - If anyone from RCI is looking at this board - ditch Giovanni's and get Portofino's back on the Allure - preferrably by July 2011 - when I'll be doing my B2B!!!

We tried Giovanni's one night and it was DISGUSTING! Mabye it's because the menu is in italian but we basically had no idea what we were ordering most of the time, and when we asked our waitress what something was she just laughed and said "I can only speak the Italian but I honestly have no idea what I'm saying!" ... If you can consider Johnny Rockets a specialty restaurant (haha), that was our favorite, although we wanted to try Chops after eating Giovanni's.

Here is the menu that someone else posted.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25083245&postcount=2

Why did you have a problem with ordering? It clearly states in english what each item is. Doesn't look to hard to me.:rolleyes:

HAVE A FABULOUS CRUISE, BrianALt!!!

We only have 17 days to wait!!

Please, please, please come back and tell us all about those fabulous restaurants!!

Thanks! And don't you worry! I'll be doing EXACTLY that! :D

Here is the menu that someone else posted.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25083245&postcount=2

Why did you have a problem with ordering? It clearly states in english what each item is. Doesn't look to hard to me.:rolleyes:

Mabye it's because we are little Texas country bumpkins and are not used to these rich people foods like you are. It's not because we can't read or are stupid like you seem to think. Our problem was when we asked her what some of the actual things in the food were (ie. aioli, mache lettuce, pappardelle pasta, etc.) she had no idea what it was, all she could do was say it.

We went to 150 Central Park and Chops (and Seafood Shack - which was fun!) - for me Chops beat 150 CP hands down.

I agree 100%, but acknowledge that on another week, with a different menu, CP 150 might shine more--- and might be more fun on formal night (if you dress up).

Archived