New ideas for Motu Picnic and snorkeling in Raiatea?

Toto2Kansas

Heading back to Raiatea (twice in fact) next year, but we are looking for a local tour operator offering a Motu picnic and snorkeling. Someone besides Bruno. If you have any contacts or suggestions for this type of tour in Raiatea, I would be greatful. Thanks! :)

Last fall I remember seeing 2 boats pulling up to the island near the Coral Gardens as we were leaving--they were on the side opposite of the Tahaa Resort--they started walking in the water toward the Coral Gardens rather than on the land--guess that's where they were going--that was the only boat or people we saw anywhere with Bruno last fall--I know that Princess does an excursion to the Coral Gardens but not if it includes anything else--(picnic/lunch or something)

Come on--go with us with Bruno--we would like to find something else also since we'll be there twice--let me know what you find out--so strange that after your Raitaia problem--we couldn't find another soul anywhere except the 2 smallish boats when we were leaving the Coral Gardens--

For some reason I think that Princess goes only to Coral Gardens then back to the ship--might go twice a day--don't think that it's a full day excursion.

Nancy:D

I wonder if there would be a way to get to the Ta'haa Resort and spend the day and snorkle at the Coral Gardens--I remeber one time seeing some people out on the spit of land just to the side of the OWB's--close to where the boats pull up.

:D

Okay--don't know why I'm thinking about this now--giving up for the night

Have a great fourth !!

Come on--go with us with Bruno--we would like to find something else also since we'll be there twice--let me know what you find out--so strange that after your Raitaia problem--we couldn't find another soul anywhere except the 2 smallish boats when we were leaving the Coral Gardens--

Nancy, Thanks for the offer, but it wasn't just the crowds we ran into with Bruno last time (although I have heard he changed around the stops now to avoid the ships crowds, which probably helps a lot), it was his demeanor and attitude that was just not pleasent at all.

As I have said previously, maybe he just had an 'off day' that day as we really enjoyed the tour many years ago with him. Back when the lunch was actually tradional and on a small Motu, and Bruno seemed to join in with the group and enjoy the day instead of just going through the motions.

But neither us or the couple we talked into joining us on this tour enjoyed it last fall (so it wasn't just our opinion or a comparison as this was their first time on this tour). The entire tour had changed since the last time we did this excursion with him, and we didn't feel it was for the better in any way. One inviting thing about these tours is the tradional Motu picnic, and lunch at the Lagoonairum could just not compare to the previous Motu picnic he offered, or other Motu picnic tours we have taken.

That is the reason I am looking for something new this trip.

Karen had a suggestion on our roll call, and we may persue that one instead.

Still open for suggestions from anyone that can share information about a new excursion or tour operator that we might be able to look into. :)

Toto: Is the "Lagoonairum" part of the ship's tour? What exactly is it?

The Lagoonairum is a place where they have some sealife in water type cages (like a water zoo) Stingrays, a blow fish, a stone fish, that sort of thing. We weren't all that impressed with it, and it didn't seem to have had any upkeep since our first visit there many years ago. But you can see a few of the sea creatures up close and personal.

As far as I know, I have not heard of this being any part of the ships tours, but then we rarely take ships tours so I could be mistaken here. I just don't think it is large enough or offers enough for the ship to include it on their tours, I would be surprised if they did.

G'day folks,

We visited Raiatea last year on the Rhapsody of the Seas and one of our onboard friends had arranged to leave the ship in Papeete and spend a couple of days on a private island nearby to Raiatea called Vahine Island, this is a private island resort that has less than 20 bungalows.

Our friend had arranged before our cruise for 4 of us to spend the day on the Island with her, the day consisted of us being met at the dock by a water taxi from the island and a 30 minute journey to the far side of TaAhaa to Vahine Island where we were given access to snorkelling equipment and the common areas of the resort. We were then treated to the most divine lunch I have ever eaten we had the best day just lounging around. the Island is tiny and beautiful and the staff were super friendly. This day out cost us $150 USD and was paid for in advance.

Apologies for hijacking your thread, but I wanted to share our experience and add another option for your day out. The website can be found here http://www.vahine-island.com/ and yes it IS as good as it looks!!!

Hope this helps

Cheers

David

• 3 weeks later...
The Lagoonairum is a place where they have some sealife in water type cages (like a water zoo) Stingrays, a blow fish, a stone fish, that sort of thing. We weren't all that impressed with it, and it didn't seem to have had any upkeep since our first visit there many years ago. But you can see a few of the sea creatures up close and personal.

As far as I know, I have not heard of this being any part of the ships tours, but then we rarely take ships tours so I could be mistaken here. I just don't think it is large enough or offers enough for the ship to include it on their tours, I would be surprised if they did.

Toto - did you e-mail Vahine Island? I sent them an e-mail to see if they would allow us to come there for a day, but I have not had a reply. Just wondering if you had any luck.

Helen

Toto - did you e-mail Vahine Island? I sent them an e-mail to see if they would allow us to come there for a day, but I have not had a reply. Just wondering if you had any luck.

Helen

Helen, No, I sure didn't. If you hear back I would appreciate it if you could share with me the information. Thanks! (hope you are both well and looking forward to your cruise).

Helen, No, I sure didn't. If you hear back I would appreciate it if you could share with me the information. Thanks! (hope you are both well and looking forward to your cruise).

I fired off another e-mail tonight. I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you know if I hear something. I can not believe how hard it is to find a beach with some food and a bit of clear water for a day! I really don't want to do another tour. I just want to hang out on a beach and watch the world go by. Heres hoping!

We are so excited about this cruise. You know two of my sisters and their husbands are joiining us on this one. We just cruised with them to the Panama Canal in April. We all get along very well and enjoy each other's company. Wish you were going with us as you have so much experience in this area of the world.

I'll let you know when I hear something.

Thanks Helen, I would really appreciate anything you find out.

I am really going to miss you and your hubby going to Moorea with us on turnaround day in February though. :(

Did you see my signature? We also have the 28 day cruise booked RT from LA for next October, Hawaii, Tahiti, Samoa! :) Even with all those sea days, I just could not resist, as when I checked the Grand Suite was available, so that will be our home for 28 days. :) Not sure which cruise I am looking more forward to, the one this February or next October. Those Grand Suites are fabulous, but we also love the suites on the smaller ships! :)

Thanks Helen, I would really appreciate anything you find out.

I am really going to miss you and your hubby going to Moorea with us on turnaround day in February though. :(

Did you see my signature? We also have the 28 day cruise booked RT from LA for next October, Hawaii, Tahiti, Samoa! :) Even with all those sea days, I just could not resist, as when I checked the Grand Suite was available, so that will be our home for 28 days. :) Not sure which cruise I am looking more forward to, the one this February or next October. Those Grand Suites are fabulous, but we also love the suites on the smaller ships! :)

Toto That 28 day trip sounds wonderful. But alas my bil wants to do a 35 day trip in the summer of 2012 its called the voyage of the vikings. They so want to go and for us to go with them that they were originally going to do it in 2011, but postponed it until 2012 so we would be able to go. (We are keeping our fingers crossed that the ecomony doesn't get any worse) Anyway I wish I were in a grand suite, but also an outside is for me. No sweat as bil and sis usually get an S suite or penthouse and they are very generous with sharing it with them.

I found another tour operator for Raiatea. It's called West Coast Charters

I included their website below so you could have a look,see. I'm going to post a question to see if anyone has ever used them. I am asking them if they would do a charter just to a motu, lunch and then back to the ship. I'll let you know if I hear back from them.

http://www.tahitiguide.com/directory/details.asp?filter_1=&office=1272

Talk to you soon

Helen

Heading back to Raiatea (twice in fact) next year, but we are looking for a local tour operator offering a Motu picnic and snorkeling. Someone besides Bruno. If you have any contacts or suggestions for this type of tour in Raiatea, I would be greatful. Thanks! :)

We've booked with Mata tours in Raiatea. Have you had any experience with them? I don't have much info, but 4 hour tour includes "farm, ray and shark feeding, snorkeling, stop on the beach, tasting fruits" (6500cfp/pp). Stephane is very responsive to emails. He has a desk at the tourism office at the dock. Don't know how many people he can take or anything else. Just thought this sounded pretty good.

Let me know what you think. I read on Trip Advisor they are good. Since we're doing a b2b, we'll probably do the Tahaa drift snorkel with the sip and the Mata tour on the second leg.

We've booked with Mata tours in Raiatea. Have you had any experience with them? I don't have much info, but 4 hour tour includes "farm, ray and shark feeding, snorkeling, stop on the beach, tasting fruits" (6500cfp/pp). Stephane is very responsive to emails. He has a desk at the tourism office at the dock. Don't know how many people he can take or anything else. Just thought this sounded pretty good.

Let me know what you think. I read on Trip Advisor they are good. Since we're doing a b2b, we'll probably do the Tahaa drift snorkel with the sip and the Mata tour on the second leg.

I haven't dealt with them before, but I think Karen has, hopefully she will see this and respond. But what she reported to our roll call sounded great! :)

Toto That 28 day trip sounds wonderful. But alas my bil wants to do a 35 day trip in the summer of 2012 its called the voyage of the vikings. They so want to go and for us to go with them that they were originally going to do it in 2011, but postponed it until 2012 so we would be able to go. (We are keeping our fingers crossed that the ecomony doesn't get any worse) Anyway I wish I were in a grand suite, but also an outside is for me. No sweat as bil and sis usually get an S suite or penthouse and they are very generous with sharing it with them.

I found another tour operator for Raiatea. It's called West Coast Charters

I included their website below so you could have a look,see. I'm going to post a question to see if anyone has ever used them. I am asking them if they would do a charter just to a motu, lunch and then back to the ship. I'll let you know if I hear back from them.

http://www.tahitiguide.com/directory/details.asp?filter_1=&office=1272

Talk to you soon

Helen

Thanks Helen! Let me know when you hear back from them please.

35 days sounds fantastic, I know you will love it.

But, again, you will be missed on our Tahiti voyages, I was looking very forward to sharing a few tours with you and Hubby. ;)

• 1 month later...

Helen

Helen - just noticed this thread. We are also interested in this excursion. Have you heard back from them? Would you also keep us posted when you do? Thanks so much.

Virginia

P.S. Glad to see you enjoyed the Statendam. We had a wonderful time on her in March, 2008. We are taking the Royal Princess in February, and it will be the first cruise line for us other than HAL. It looks like a lovely ship, however. We like the smaller ships.

Helen - just noticed this thread. We are also interested in this excursion. Have you heard back from them? Would you also keep us posted when you do? Thanks so much.

Virginia

P.S. Glad to see you enjoyed the Statendam. We had a wonderful time on her in March, 2008. We are taking the Royal Princess in February, and it will be the first cruise line for us other than HAL. It looks like a lovely ship, however. We like the smaller ships.

Virginia

I never heaerd a word. I think I sent two e-mails, but nothing. If I ever hear I'll post.

Yes, we did enjoy Statendam, we had some problems after the drydock, but all in all it was one of our best cruises.

Helen

Helen, I have sent out several emails to Rangiroa for water type tours, Motu/snorkeling/reef islands/pink sand beach, and so far not a word back. I sent a second request about a week apart, and still nothing, not a word back. Rangiroa is becoming so tough, it might just be another day at the beach (the picture I posted)...........I can't seem to find any tour operator willing to answer emails. :(

I tried West Coast Charters twice, nothing back from them either.

Here is one response I received re excursions on Raiatea/Vahine Island:

Thank you very much for your interest in Vahine Island – It is a private island resort

In addition to our hotel clients, we take sometimes clients for lunch

Round trip transfers with our private lauch boat are 120 USD per person from 2 to 5 pax from Raiatea

It takes 35 minutes from Raiatea port to Vahine Island

We can send the boat at 8.00 am and return from Vahiné around 2.00 pm directly after lunch which will give you enough time in Raiatea or for another excursion

We will organize the lunch on our beach side or in our beach restaurant.

LUNCH is "à la carte" with a wide selection from sandwiches, salads or real meals ... but impossible to quote in advance, depends your selection – Our prices are not very expansive for French Polynesia.

Let me know, what you'd prefer – What is your budget?

Snorkeling is the easiest part. We have 2 coral gardens accessible directly from the beach.

Best regards - Sylvie

Sylvie Guerry & Bruno Vergès

VAHINE Island Private Island Resort

S.L.H. - Small Luxury hotels of the World

BP 510 - 98735 Uturoa - Raiatea

Polynésie Française

Tèl. (00.689) 65 67 38 - Fax (00.689) 65 67 70

manager@vahine-island.com

www.vahine-island.com

www.slh.com

• 2 weeks later...

Betty, I agree it sounds great, and I don't pinch pennies on vacation. But even that is a bit high for the afternoon (6 hours including transfer and return time) IMHO. With lunch (which is not included in the price) it could easily run into $160-$200 per person for the afternoon (food is out of site price wise in Tahiti). Times two that is a bit steep in my book. But if you decide to go for it, enjoy!

Archived