Carnival Pride Review 6/27 - 7/4

vavasmom

We got home a little while ago from our 7 night cruise on the Pride. I am doing laundry (so sad) but wanted to start my review. I took 774 pictures between the ship and the ports so please let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer. I plan on finishing this before Friday (when we leave for a roller coaster trip to Cedar Point)

To tell you a little about us and a little about what we did:

I am a single parent (mom) in my mid -40’s of a 14 (and a half) year old daughter. While this was our first Carnival cruise, she and I have both cruised Disney twice (both the Magic and the Wonder) and Royal Caribbean 5 times on three very different classes of ships (Sovereign (x2), Grandeur, and Freedom (x2)). I will make a few comparisons between the lines as I write the review.

We were celebrating the end of middle school for my daughter (and looking forward to high school).

I selected this cruise for three main reasons: It left from Baltimore (no extra travel days required), the departure date of June 27th fit well into other plans for this summer, and I wanted to try Carnival. I read a lot of reviews (special thanks to Radio, Mark, Mark, and Carrie) in the weeks leading up to my decision to book. I can honesty say I did not select the cruise for the itinerary - We had been to Nassau before and cruised from Port Canaveral 4 times. This would be the first time in Freeport. My DD wanted to go back and do the Atlantis water park that we missed because of a late arrival into Nassau a few years ago.

I booked an extended balcony (8J) cabin 6255. I normally book everything myself but I used a travel agent from the local auto club this time since I was not that familiar with Carnival. Since my daughter’s request was to do the Aquaventure at Atlantis so I pre-booked the ship’s excursion via the internet several months before we sailed. In Port Canaveral, I rented a car through Budget and we did the Kennedy Space Center on our own. In Freeport, I took a cab to Our Luycaya.

We ate in the dining room 6 of the 7 nights this cruise. We did Any Time Dining and ate diner early every night except for Nassua. I had reserved David’s Steakhouse for the Port Canaveral night about 6 weeks before we sailed.

Barbara

hey barbara, welcome back! i'm looking forward to your review and hearing how your trip on the carnival pride was, especially as your first carnival cruise! i'm curious to read the comparisons, too!

gotta love baltimore, living locally. and i'm glad that the review helped in making the decision to book... i hope! :eek:;)

i'll definitely be reading along with this one :)

I'm looking forward to your review. We leave next Sunday for the same itinerary. Like you, our trip wasn't chosen for the port stops, but for timing and locale.

Can't wait to read more!!!

Hi Barbara,

Im looking Forward to your review of Carnival Pride. I was happy to see that you are going back for 4/17/11 to Bermuda. My sixteen year old daughter and I are going on the same cruise. Baltimore to Bermuda on a Spirit class ship was a winner for us. Did your daughter get involved with the Circle C Program? Did You like the Any Time Dining option? I will be looking for your review.:)

Thanks to all for the encouragement. Mark – I will never be able to live up to your classic Pride review but here goes

Day 1: 27 June

We live in Fairfax County Virginia not too far from Dulles airport so I drove to Baltimore on Sunday morning. I was up earlier than planned – too excited to sleep - so I loaded the luggage into the car while my DD slept. Once DD was up and dressed we stopped at our favorite bagel shop for breakfast, went by the Giant for a few last minute items, and got gas before hitting the road. This trunk of my car just before we left the house:

2124455430103236660S425x425Q85.jpg

We had three duffle bags for the week and 2 carry on backpacks. One reason I love the port of Baltimore is that I do not need to fly. Not forcing DD into just 2 pairs of shoes or debating if I can fit the rain coat is so nice. I still follow my dad’s number one rule of luggage for a vacation – you must be able to get your bags from point A to point B in one trip. I wish Carnival would mail luggage tags like RCCL does with e-docs. I ended up printing the luggage tags, laminating with self lamination paper and using a rubber band to attach.

We had no traffic along the way - before I knew it we were in Maryland. I was at the port in just over an hour from the gas station. We were early (10:15) and had to wait for security to start letting cars into the parking lot. You could hear debarkation numbers being called as we waited. While we were waiting, I found our room from the outside of the ship. It was easy since it was the first room where the ship goes back in at the aft for the life boats. At approx. 10:30, they let us drive into to lot, give our bags to the porters, pay the $105 for the week (one line cash the other line credit), and park the car. Note that the cash line moved a lot faster.

2640923510103236660S425x425Q85.jpg 2892495830103236660S425x425Q85.jpg 2160498060103236660S425x425Q85.jpg 2264863920103236660S425x425Q85.jpg

We entered the terminal, went through security, and were directed to one of approx. 22 check-in desks. They swiped our passports, my credit card, and gave us our sign and sail cards. Unlike last year in Baltimore, no one questioned me about my daughter (we have different last names). We were then directed to a little table at the end of the check-in desks where we were given the last zone 3 card. The people working the desk then directed you to sit in specific chairs – filling in all available chairs. I felt sorry for the larger groups/families that had to wait for everyone before they could be given a zone/seat. It was sometime between 11:00and 11:15 when we were seated.

As we waited I noticed how close together the chairs were. Some people were surprised they were not boarding at 11:30. The “chair monitors” caught a few people trying to move into more open sates further back. They were “encouraged” to sit in their zone. I was more comfortable waiting for the Grandeur last year when we were allowed to sit in any open seats. The child in the seat behind me was fidgeting/rocking to the point that it was worse than being kicked from behind in an airline seat.

Water, a vending machine with chips/candy, and restrooms were available. A wedding party entered the ship through a different door while we waited. At approx. 12:30 they started boarding. The first group called was zone 1 (VIP boarding), then zone 2 (Special Assistance), and then followed by zone 3. We were soon up the covered Baltimore gangway and onto the ship.

I was on the cruise too, just got back (and I am also doing laundry). I am a single 40-something Dad and I was on with my 9 year old son and my sister's family.

It was a great cruise, although on the first night, we had to turn around and meet with a Coast Guard ship in Norfolk. The cruise director said it was because two passengers needed immediate medical attention, but someone said they saw one guy taken off in handcuffs to a Coast Guard cruiser, and a woman handed off to the Coast Guard on stretcher. They said the man had stabbed the woman in an argument.

Anyone know what happened?

We got to the ports of call on time, and it didn't affect our cruise at all, but it was kind of bizarre.

Hi Barbara,

Im looking Forward to your review of Carnival Pride. I was happy to see that you are going back for 4/17/11 to Bermuda. My sixteen year old daughter and I are going on the same cruise. Baltimore to Bermuda on a Spirit class ship was a winner for us. Did your daughter get involved with the Circle C Program? Did You like the Any Time Dining option? I will be looking for your review.:)

Overall we really enjoyed the cruise. Some things RCCL does better - others CCL did better. We enjoyed the ship and its layout. I am looking forward to Bermuda.

My DD was on the fringe of Circle C (your 16 yo will be in Club O2). I will try and get into details later but this was probably our biggest disappointment of the cruise. I think the issue was three fold: based upon my observations the avg age of kids doing club activities was closer to 12 - I know they moved some older 11 year olds into Circle C - those kids seemed to be having a blast; I don't think the club had adjusted to the surge of kids for the summer; at the beginning too many activities turned into playing Playstation 2/WII - my DD noted we have both of those at our house - she would rather be at the pool.

Once she made a few friends her age she had a blast. They did very little with the club except use the room to meet-up. They planned their own activities. Because she will be 15 before the end of the year they were willing to let her be in Club O2. I was not comfortable with that at the time of registration (it seemed to have a lot of 17 yos) but regretted my decision later because I think she would have enjoyed it more

I was on the cruise too, just got back (and I am also doing laundry). I am a single 40-something Dad and I was on with my 9 year old son and my sister's family.

It was a great cruise, although on the first night, we had to turn around and meet with a Coast Guard ship in Norfolk. The cruise director said it was because two passengers needed immediate medical attention, but someone said they saw one guy taken off in handcuffs to a Coast Guard cruiser, and a woman handed off to the Coast Guard on stretcher. They said the man had stabbed the woman in an argument.

Anyone know what happened?

We got to the ports of call on time, and it didn't affect our cruise at all, but it was kind of bizarre.

I gave my first hand account (with some pics) on your thread. There was no stretcher. # people total - 2 men and 1 woman went onto CG boat - 1 was in restraints (probably handcuffs).

I have to ask this knowing that Falkor (Mark) is reading this review.. Did you make it to freeport or should I say "did you wake up for freeport" ?????

Can't wait to read the rest of your review as we sail the pride again for Halloween this year !

Carrie

I have to ask this knowing that Falkor (Mark) is reading this review.. Did you make it to freeport or should I say "did you wake up for freeport" ????

carrie, you're still a smartass, i see! 'you little pisser!' :eek::rolleyes:

funny ;):cool:

i sure hope barbara did! and... for some reason, i'd bet she did... :D

Why thank you Mark !!!

Couldn't resist when I saw you on here :-)

Where you off to next ?

carrie, you're still a smartass, i see! 'you little pisser!' :eek::rolleyes:

funny ;):cool:

i sure hope barbara did! and... for some reason, i'd bet she did... :D

Why thank you Mark !!!

Couldn't resist when I saw you on here :-)

Where you off to next ?

of course you couldn't... :rolleyes:

actually... i'm SUPPOSED TO BE on the carnival ecstasy, RIGHT NOW! i tried to book the last minute 'oops' cruise to nowhere on FRIDAY (leaving on FRIDAY) but got bad information from carnival all day - go figure - rates, last time to terminal, and we had tropical storm alex parked over us friday. UGH i'm bummed. but backyard barbeque beach party time, and i'll be watching 'freedom over texas' (houston fireworks show) from a prime spot later tonight.

in terms of cruising - looking for last minute quickies (hence almost leaving on friday) right now because i have weddings and other obligations in the near future. but planning a big group for 2011 some time, i want that unlimited bar card :D

PS - barbara - sorry in advance for any perceived hijack - but it's fun talkin' with others following the review - and that's why i checked! :cool:

looking forward to more :)

I am not worried about the hijack. Based upon your experience I did not book Deadman's Reef in case my teenager was too tired to get up that morning. She slept in a little 30 minutes but we had a full day on the beach at Lucaya.

Carrie have fun in Nov. We sail RCCL at the end of this month and then have the Pride to Bermuda for spring break next year. I booked early and have an aft balcony on deck 7. I am working on the rest of day 1 but I had to deal with laundry and the thermostat battery decided to die this afternoon (no AC when that happens)

Barbara, thanks for posting this so soon after your cruise. I told you that my DD and her BF will be taking this same cruise in November. They want to know about the decor. We've seen pictures; is it really like that???

I am not worried about the hijack. Based upon your experience I did not book Deadman's Reef in case my teenager was too tired to get up that morning. She slept in a little 30 minutes but we had a full day on the beach at Lucaya.

good, thanks, just thought i'd throw that out there :)

and LOL, based on my experience? you mean...

IMG_5219.jpg

OMG :eek:

that is too funny, glad that it helped inform your booking decisions, though hahaha

I am working on the rest of day 1 but I had to deal with laundry and the thermostat battery decided to die this afternoon (no AC when that happens)

oh that sucks! i'm glad you figured it out, i can't live without AC! and, btw, 74 is not acceptable, like it is apparently on carnival ships :rolleyes:

My daughter was in the Club 02, but was late in meeting others because of our 2nd seating on Carnival Liberty last August/09. We wish now that we did not do the late seating. On Pride we are going to try the anytime dining. My DD said that most groups of friends had aready formed by the time she was able to get to an activity . The first night was a meet and greet time during the second seating. She found friends later almost half way through the cruise. One girl she still keeps in touch through email. to bad they didn't meet up sooner. Anyway now we know to at least show up for the first nights welcome to Club 02. Liberty was a great cruise.

We LOVE Bermuda. It's our all time favorite beach destination.

We have a balcony aft deck 4 for this coming pride cruise. WE chose deck 4 based on people saying it's more private and it's more covered so no one can look down on us . I'll be sure and post again.

Enjoy each and every cruise.. You go girls !!!

Carrie

Carrie have fun in Nov. We sail RCCL at the end of this month and then have the Pride to Bermuda for spring break next year. I booked early and have an aft balcony on deck 7. I am working on the rest of day 1 but I had to deal with laundry and the thermostat battery decided to die this afternoon (no AC when that happens)

I think hijacking is what makes the threads more memorable :D We had so many people on your thread that seemed like we all became "pen pals" so to speak. Then my review we had those from your thread join in. It was a blast. Now I feel old .... NOT

of course you couldn't... :rolleyes:

actually... i'm SUPPOSED TO BE on the carnival ecstasy, RIGHT NOW! i tried to book the last minute 'oops' cruise to nowhere on FRIDAY (leaving on FRIDAY) but got bad information from carnival all day - go figure - rates, last time to terminal, and we had tropical storm alex parked over us friday. UGH i'm bummed. but backyard barbeque beach party time, and i'll be watching 'freedom over texas' (houston fireworks show) from a prime spot later tonight.

in terms of cruising - looking for last minute quickies (hence almost leaving on friday) right now because i have weddings and other obligations in the near future. but planning a big group for 2011 some time, i want that unlimited bar card :D

PS - barbara - sorry in advance for any perceived hijack - but it's fun talkin' with others following the review - and that's why i checked! :cool:

looking forward to more :)

Day 1: 27 June Cont..

As we were boarding, we were told rooms would be ready sometime between 3 and 3:30. We were handed a card that said all teens and their parents should plan on attending the Circle C/Club 02 meeting at 5:30 in the Starry Nights Lounge. It was suggested we go to deck 9 for lunch or explore the ship. I wanted to book the Behind the Fun tour but the shore excursion desk did not open until 1pm so we went up to Mermaids for lunch. We were early so we were able to find a table right by the pizza counter. I am going to agree with many recent reviewers that the buffet line is confusing and could use a little help. I found the different stations serving different menu items to be confusing. No matter how hard I tried I ended up in the wrong line about 50% of the time. On embarkation day, I was surprised that the pizza counter was not manned. I ended up with a grilled ruben (very good). My DD grabbed a little of this and that and decided to go for a grilled ham and cheese when see saw my ruben – unfortunately the sandwich she had was not so great. The guys working the deli line were very busy by the time she got to the front of the line – they did not grill it long enough so it was basically a cold ham and sliced cheese sandwich. While she was picking at that, someone rang a little bell on the pizza counter and was given pizza. I felt like an idiot for not seeing the bell in the first place – DD and I both had a piece of pizza once I knew to ring the bell. I did like the fact that Carnival still has trays for the buffet.

2736777450103236660S425x425Q85.jpg 2200311800103236660S425x425Q85.jpg

After lunch, we headed down to the shore excursion desk and I booked the Behind the Fun tour for Saturday am. We then walked around the ship a little bit to get our bearings and then went up to the pool until the rooms were ready (approx. 2:45).

2077647990103236660S425x425Q85.jpg 2816669540103236660S425x425Q85.jpg 2906116550103236660S425x425Q85.jpg

Day 1: 27 June Cont..

When they made the announcement (approx. 2:45), I located the room. The stairwell contained cases with glass art on the landings. I was initially surprised by some of the art work in the hallways of the passenger decks. The pictures are from right outside our door. After a few days, I noticed that I started to use it as landmarks. Part way through the cruise, my DD pointed out that different decks had the same artwork in different colors (pink, blue, etc). Deck 6 was orange.

2355253300103236660S425x425Q85.jpg 2246904660103236660S425x425Q85.jpg

2022030680103236660S425x425Q85.jpg 2568689880103236660S425x425Q85.jpg

I'm excited for your review! I also noted a woman, a man, and then another man in cuffs. Wish we knew the story! Sorry we didn't get to meet up - I'm sure we may recognize each other though!

Archived