Rum runners + airline checked luggage,problems?

gracers

We were planning on filling our rum runners before our flight to Seattle on Horizon airlines. Their website says alcohol in checked bags is ok, up to 70proof, but in RETAIL BOTTLES. We hate to lose our rum runners but Tanqueray is double the price in Seattle. Thoughts?:confused:

Since all luggage is xrayed now before being loaded into the plane, I would guess you will probably be safer packing things in their original bottles. You will possibly have your luggage opened and the rum runners removed if you use them on this airline.

Not only that, but it must be sealed retail bottles. Since they cannot verify the alcohol content of anything not so packed, it will be pulled if identified.

We were planning on filling our rum runners before our flight to Seattle on Horizon airlines. Their website says alcohol in checked bags is ok, up to 70proof, but in RETAIL BOTTLES. We hate to lose our rum runners but Tanqueray is double the price in Seattle. Thoughts?:confused:

Why are you using rumrunners??? What is wrong with the original bottle??

We were coming ready for the cruise...besides, I'd worry about breakage in check luggage..lugging a 1.75 liter bottle is also heavy.

Even if the gin is double the price in Seattle you will still save $$:). Jan

That's true...I appreciate everyone's suggestions and comments. My sister-in-law told me about this website..it's been great...I'm learning so much about cruising.....thanks everyone!

We've used rumrunners for 2 cruises (flying SW) and never had any problems. I put the rumrunners in a big ziploc bag with sunscreen & some other toiletries. No leakage problems, either, but if you're worried at all, the ziploc will help, plus you can put a disposable diaper in it to soak up any leaks!:p

I have traveled with Rum Runners in checked baggage 10+ times without issue.

John in Denver

John, I don't suppose you ever flew Horizon/Alaska Airlines did you?:o

We've used rumrunners for 2 cruises (flying SW) and never had any problems. I put the rumrunners in a big ziploc bag with sunscreen & some other toiletries. No leakage problems, either, but if you're worried at all, the ziploc will help, plus you can put a disposable diaper in it to soak up any leaks!:p

I've heard the rum runners are suppose to be "invisible" on the scanner? Perhaps having them with other sundries is a good idea..maybe they

"look" innocent? :o

Like most of the nonesense with the Homeland Security people, they will allow a bottle of Tangueray through because it is in it's original bottle. They will challenge anything less than the original packaging. But knowing this do you not thnk that anyone wishing do any harm to anyone could not place their madness in a sealed package of alcohol. There is no logic these days in what is and what is not allowed to be transported.

I really don't understand why passengers insisted on carry on alcohol when it is prohibited (wine O.K.). Is it the challenge? I can't imagine anyone drinking so much that it is financially worth the risk, not to mention the mess it could make. I just figure, if you can afford a cruise, you should be able to afford a few drinks on board.

Yes, I do drink but I like to abide by the rules, I'm just kinda weird about that :rolleyes:

Passenger Contract Agreement on Alcohol:

No alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Passengers under the age of 21. No Passenger under the age of 21 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the ship. No Passenger under the age of 18 shall be permitted to purchase cigarettes or tobacco products. Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants.

I agree with the comment "if you can afford the cruise, you should be able to afford a few drinks on board."

A few years ago, our luggage was soaked by an inconsiderate person who packed their alcohol.

Why take the chance of ruining your trip, as well as others? Just doesn't make sense to me.

I agree with the comment "if you can afford the cruise, you should be able to afford a few drinks on board."

A few years ago, our luggage was soaked by an inconsiderate person who packed their alcohol.

Why take the chance of ruining your trip, as well as others? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Your avatar looks like a red Solstice - correct? I have a grey 2006 NA.

Back to the issue. If you have ever purchsased any drinks aboard you must know they contain very little alcohol and, for the price of three or four weak mixed drinks you can buy a full bottle of alcohol annd get several good drinks. I always bring my own. If packed properly it will have little chance of suffering any damage.

I really don't understand why passengers insisted on carry on alcohol when it is prohibited (wine O.K.). Is it the challenge? I can't imagine anyone drinking so much that it is financially worth the risk, not to mention the mess it could make. I just figure, if you can afford a cruise, you should be able to afford a few drinks on board.

Yes, I do drink but I like to abide by the rules, I'm just kinda weird about that :rolleyes:

Passenger Contract Agreement on Alcohol:

No alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Passengers under the age of 21. No Passenger under the age of 21 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the ship. No Passenger under the age of 18 shall be permitted to purchase cigarettes or tobacco products. Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants.

I really don't understand why Princess says if you drink wine or champagne that it's okay to bring multiple bottles onboard, but if you prefer vodka or whiskey it's prohibited.

I have always traveled with my own liquor but also patronize their bars. It's nice to have a drink on the balcony in the evening before dinner without having to venture off to a bar and carry drinks back to the room, but I guess those who "legally" carry wine onboard already knew that.:D:D:D

I really don't understand why Princess says if you drink wine or champagne that it's okay to bring multiple bottles onboard, but if you prefer vodka or whiskey it's prohibited.

I have always traveled with my own liquor but also patronize their bars. It's nice to have a drink on the balcony in the evening before dinner without having to venture off to a bar and carry drinks back to the room, but I guess those who "legally" carry wine onboard already knew that.:D:D:D

That's our plan also...thanks

I would guess it is because there are thousands of different wines out there, and they can't carry everyone favorite, PLUS they charge a corkage fee if you take it to any of the dining venues.

Liquor can be purchased for your stateroom (small bottles now, unlike how it used to be where you could order a liter at duty free prices), but you can order it delivered from room service. So, you are not limited to carrying drinks back from the bar to be honest.

Come on guys, we all know that liquor is taken onboard to save money, and no other reason. :rolleyes:

Is that a Horizon rule or a TSA rule?

The x-ray that is done of luggage is by TSA and they do not care what Horizon does or does not want. They just care about what TSA prohibits. Horizon does not open or x-ray luggage.

That said, if not in a sealed, original bottle, how can TSA know for sure what the liquid is?

The only financial risk is the cruiseline taking the contraband and destroying it. Let us just say that there are a few of us who don't like the rule and refuse to be intimidated by it. You really don't have to abide by the rules as our founders proved when they dumped the tea in the bay.

Liquor bottles are surprisingly durable and seldom break unless something very hard hits them such as another bottle. I wrap them in bubble wrap (many wraps) and have never had a problem. They are heavy though and with the 50 pound limit can be a serious problem.

Your avatar looks like a red Solstice - correct? I have a grey 2006 NA.

Back to the issue. If you have ever purchsased any drinks aboard you must know they contain very little alcohol and, for the price of three or four weak mixed drinks you can buy a full bottle of alcohol annd get several good drinks. I always bring my own. If packed properly it will have little chance of suffering any damage.

It's a Sky Redline. 2007. Less than 13,000 miles. Delivered on January 31, 2007.

Back to the issue. We usually purchase several drinks. Usually beer or a frozen drink. Always satisfied. Some people don't travel often and don't seem to have the experience when packing. They just throw it in the suitcase and head out.

This is a serious suggestion and not mean to be snarky. Maybe you should start a thread on the proper way to pack beverages.

Shirley

I've traveled with RumRunners for many years with no problems. I always test the brand new ones at home before using them for a trip.

I double Zip-Loc bag them and put them into a zippered part of my checked bag.

The only items I've ever had taken from my checked bags were UNDERWEAR.

Archived