rough seas

bunzo

We did the Westerdam in November and found 40 mph winds and 20-40 ft seas one day. Ship was amazingly stable and even my DIL with a delicate stomach was Ok. Only problem was no tenders to HMC. Suicidal. The newer ship ride so much better than those of the 70s and 80s. Taking precautions are prudent however. The Yum Yum man will appreciate your visit.

I've been to Hawaii three times. The first time was in 2002 aboard the Statendam and we had heavy swell and moderate wave action all the way from San Diego to Hilo. The ship's motion was quite nauseating. The second time was in 2006 aboard the Zaandam and we had smooth seas both ways ... It was a wonderful cruise. My third cruise to Hawaii was this past January (2010), again aboard the Zaandam. We had very rough seas upon leaving San Diego and for the first two days, with 25-30 foot waves and strong swells cutting starboard to port and fore to aft ... In other words, the ship had a nauseating roll from starboard to port while also pitching heavily fore and aft. It was quite a ride. Keep in mind, however, that we were cruising right through a storm ... So, rough seas are understandable.

As for what I would suggest to combat sea sickness: I would highly recommend that you ask your doctor to prescribe the anti-nausea drug Scopace. Scopace is the same drug as is found in the Scopolamine patch, which you wear behind your ear, however unlike the patch Scopace is taken in pill form, orally. This gives you much greater control over the dosage, enabling you to adjust it according to the seas and your body-type. If you are smaller than average this will help because the patch will tend to dose you too heavily; if you are larger than average this will help because the patch will tend to dose you too little. Your doctor will advise you on how to dose yourself, however you may want to ask about testing the drug before going to sea to make sure you don't have a negative reaction ... Some people do.

Have a fabulous cruise! HAL's Hawaii run is one of their best cruises.

We always pack our sea bands. if we pack them we don't see to need them. but, they do work. No drugs, no nothing and usable over and over and over again.

Please tell me more. The other remedies are supposed to be taken before you know there is even a problem. Which is one problem I have particularly with the Bonine - ginger I like anyway so I don't mind eating it even when I don't need it for seasickness.

So do the accupressure sea bands work after a problem starts? Do you have any problems knowing where to place the pressure points? Are you using specifically the SeaBand named product, or something else. On both wrists or just one?

Thanks for any help you can provide about these -- or if you have information about the electronic bands too.

Please tell me more. The other remedies are supposed to be taken before you know there is even a problem. Which is one problem I have particularly with the Bonine - ginger I like anyway so I don't mind eating it even when I don't need it for seasickness.

So do the accupressure sea bands work after a problem starts? Do you have any problems knowing where to place the pressure points? Are you using specifically the SeaBand named product, or something else. On both wrists or just one?

Thanks for any help you can provide about these -- or if you have information about the electronic bands too.

i just call them sea bands and I think that is the right 'official' word for them. You can get them at CAA or AAA. Not very expensive. You only use them if you need them. You don't have to put them on ahead of time.

On both wrists. They come in a package of 2. Based on acupuncture. My friend who get sea sick easily tried them this cruise. Only wore them one day and she was fine. No, it's not hard to find the pressure point. On your wrist and there is a little instruction thing, but it's quite easy.

don't know anything about the electronic bands:eek: sorry. Also if it is really bad, the ship does have pills. If you aren't feeling well, head to the centre of the ship and I find fresh air really helps. Sea bands have done it for me. I've only used them a couple of times, but they are always packed. (take up very little space).

hope this helps a bit. have a great cruise and many smooth seas :):)

The only sensible course of action is to be prepared for rough seas regardless of where a cruise is bound, particularly if you don't know whether or not you get seasick. And IMHO it is also unwise to depend upon unproven remedies based only upon anecdotal evidence such as wrist bands. Take a medication for which there is an explainable and predictable physiologic response. Such a medication is meclizine which is the generic form of bonine, a well proven antimotion sickness preventative. Note that I said preventative. It is not for immediate relief of seasickness and should be started about 24 hours prior to anticipated need. Yes, it may cause drowsiness; but we take it immediately prior to going to bed every evening and have no significant problems. But I would much rather be drowsy than be seasick.

The only sensible course of action is to be prepared for rough seas regardless of where a cruise is bound, particularly if you don't know whether or not you get seasick. And IMHO it is also unwise to depend upon unproven remedies based only upon anecdotal evidence such as wrist bands. ......

If you search PubMed National Library of Medicine data base for <accupressure and nausea> a few studies are showing definite relief with wrist bands. Nothing yet specific to seasickness, but it is moving out of the realm of anecdotal evidence.

The only sensible course of action is to be prepared for rough seas regardless of where a cruise is bound, particularly if you don't know whether or not you get seasick. And IMHO it is also unwise to depend upon unproven remedies based only upon anecdotal evidence such as wrist bands. Take a medication for which there is an explainable and predictable physiologic response. Such a medication is meclizine which is the generic form of bonine, a well proven antimotion sickness preventative. Note that I said preventative. It is not for immediate relief of seasickness and should be started about 24 hours prior to anticipated need. Yes, it may cause drowsiness; but we take it immediately prior to going to bed every evening and have no significant problems. But I would much rather be drowsy than be seasick.

Not everyone can tolerate meclizine. For some of us, we have to rely on more holistic or natural methods of dealing with motion sickness.

We did this cruise in Jan/Feb 2010 and seas were near flat calm for almost the entire trip with just a few swells that we hardly noticed. During our 6 sea day return San Diego we had 2 days of totally flat ocean - not a ripple or swell - just like a small lake. That said - my DW always picks up a few of the motion pills at the front desk and takes them the first couple of days out just in case.

Spend the days before you launch downing Bonine tablets and hijacking the Yum Yum man's cart for his candied ginger, or his life. :p That is the formula I found works best so far.

Or better, bring a bucket of crystallized ginger (you can get at Trader Joes or other natural food places) and pop a few several times a day and one Bonine at night. Apparently, once you need it it is already too late for it to do you any good.

This sounds like a good strategy. Thanks!

A question for you: How many days in advance of sailing do you begin taking Bonine?

AG

This sounds like a good strategy. Thanks!

A question for you: How many days in advance of sailing do you begin taking Bonine?

AG

On this trip which was my own experiment with preventive use, I started the Bonine the night before and started nibbling the ginger throughout the prior day too. Apparently it worked, because later trip reports said the first night was fairly rough, but I didn't even notice even a hint of queasiness though I did notice the movement.

And this stomach calm for me continued to be the case even later in the cruise when the captain warned everyone what was coming up, the sea sick bags were out in the hallways and half the crowd was missing for dinner.

Worst part of this success story is that I get to now eat every single day and not miss a meal .......... or a calorie. Plan accordingly. :p

Archived