Why are the rolls so bad?

I understand that the hot, flaky roll/soft roll is a regional thing in the USA (or at least was a regional thing before Globalisation mixed things up, even between US States).

Story goes that when Bess Truman moved into the White House she missed the hot, crumbly rolls she was used to in her Southern days. So a junior White House chef dug out the recipe and produced a bask of hot, crumbly rolls for her the next day. Truman promoted him to Maitre D the following day. Way to go Junior White House Chef!

But presumably there are still pockets of resistance around, at least in the Civil War of bread rolls.

The bakery products on RCCL are excellent

Interesting :D

I loved crusty rolls, we buy them regularly, but they are crusty and tough on the ship, they seem stale. Im worried about pulling a crown off when eating them ,LOL.;)

Seriously, this is one of the only things i don't like about dinner. The rolls are terrible. Hard and crunchy, and they flake all over the place. Some simple Pillsbury rolls are better than the one RCI has. Does anyone know why they are so bad? lol.

Good Lord! Now we're gonna complain about the rolls. Don't eat the things if you don't like them. There are choices.:confused:

Seriously, this is one of the only things i don't like about dinner. The rolls are terrible. Hard and crunchy, and they flake all over the place. Some simple Pillsbury rolls are better than the one RCI has. Does anyone know why they are so bad? lol.

They aren't "bad"or "terrible". You just don't happen to like them. There is a big difference. Many, as you can see from the posts on the thread, love the rolls served in the MDR. Some do not. De gustibus....:rolleyes:

Interesting thread question. I suspect the hard rolls keep better sitting out, so the rolls can be prepared in advance and the waiters can serve them faster. Plus I think it is a European thing to have hard rolls.

Anyone remember Youngblood's Fried Chicken restaurant? They had a person dedicated to serving hot rolls from a hot bin she carried around. Those were GOOD, especially with honey.

Maybe the ship could do like Lambert's in Springfield, Missouri, and throw the hot rolls. Anyone been there?

Well, at least they did away with the common butter bin. I remember my first cruises had this on the table rather than individually wrapped butter, and I suspect that was not very sanitary.

Food is always subjective.

We're just back from Explorer of the Seas. DH LOVED the savory bites, as most folks do. I didnt. I preferred the sourdough rolls which were perfect for sourdough rolls. I doubt these are baked on board, but baking & taste has a lot to do with the water used.

[marci, any bread products are by far better here on the east coast, moreso in NY than NJ, but I agree that taste is regional, it is what folks get used to]

OP: try the sliced bread, it is soft.

Oh believe me all bread products are made on board, every Galley tour I have been on they show off the bread baking section,really envy those huge mixing machines and the bags of all the different flours are amazing.

Saw the guys making the flaky pastry for the Danish, was really impressed.

From biscuits & cornbread to sourdough, rye, pumpernickel - I love them all. And I really love RC's crusty bread with butter! I don't "allow" myself butter with bread at mealtimes an awful lot at home, but on a cruise, well, I'm just all over it! Now my DH loves the cheap pack of 12 kind from the grocery but will "tolerate" the bread on the ship.:)

I also found the rolls inedible, way too hard and crusty for me. But that was ok as I try to avoid bread for the most part. I just wanted to try some on the cruise but I guess it was telling me no. I did have one dessert a day and no complaints there :) I have lost another 17 pounds since my cruise last year by going low carb and exercising.

Watch out desserts, 47 days to go.

Oh believe me all bread products are made on board, every Galley tour I have been on they show off the bread baking section,really envy those huge mixing machines and the bags of all the different flours are amazing.

Saw the guys making the flaky pastry for the Danish, was really impressed.

lol, I'm envisioning a huge crate of rolls being sent onboard at every port. For Transatlantics, a chopper drops a dinners' worth of bread on the Helipad every afternoon.

If the OP doesn't like RCI's bread, s/he should try the bread on the Carnival Paradise. White rolls and slices only, and by the third night they are ready to be croutons.:eek:

I was a little disappointed that they took away the bread basket in Chops, replacing it with an ordinary loaf of bread. But the last thing I need is to eat a couple of rolls before my dinner. I can't finish as it is.

I like the crunchy ones too, and the fact they have Aussie Vegemite available when in Australian waters is fantastic. I sometimes skip dessert and get two more bread rolls with Vegemite! yumm!

Oh and the banana bread is great too!

In the interest of the full global experience, I sampled Vegemite on our Australia/NZ cruise. All I can say is :eek::eek: I guess it's an acquired taste.:)

Actually, all their rolls are very good. Different strokes ;) !

When you say hard and cruncy, do you mean on the outside, or inside? If it's on the outside, than that is perfectly normal for many types of breads. If in the inside, than it should become salad food....My guess is that you just don't like the crunchy kind, but it doesn't make it bad.

... I'm interested in finding out what these Savory Bites are that everyone is always raving about.

I'm still waiting for the same answer as the person quoted above. I've read so many comments about "Savory Bites," yet I haven't the first clue as to what they are or where I should look for them. Is it bread, a dessert, something else entirely?

I'm still waiting for the same answer as the person quoted above. I've read so many comments about "Savory Bites," yet I haven't the first clue as to what they are or where I should look for them. Is it bread, a dessert, something else entirely?

It is a small dinner roll that will be on the bread tray they bring around in the MDR.

They have poppy seeds on them

It is a small dinner roll that will be on the bread tray they bring around in the MDR.

They have poppy seeds on them

Because of their popularity, we have found on recent cruises that they aren't offering them, but if you ask, they have them hidden in the bottom of the basket.

Archived