Volendam vs Zuiderdam Alaska

Sailkeywest

Hubby caught a gander of the Volendam yesterday when he was going through the HAL site and fell in lust with her. He thinks she is prettier than the Zuider (the one I picked) for our upcoming cruise. They both have the same itinerary, but the Volendam leaves on Wednesdays (Zuider on Saturdays).

I, on the other hand, picked Zuider because I love her back end (aft suites). From what I see, the Volendam doesn't have these.

My question is, for those of you that have sailed the Volendam, Zuiderdam, or possibly both, what are your opinions comparing/contrasting the two?

I have sailed Volendam's sister ship and have been on Zuiderdam. I like the smaller ships because it is easier to get around. Less walking. They do not have as many balconies as the larger ones. Kween Karen is on the Amsterdam now doing Alaska http://alaska.kweenkaren.com. for pics. She is having a cold week. This is a smaller ship than Zuiderdam. We were on the Noordam last Dec. in aft cabin and my husband was bothered at night by vibration. Can't really tell you which to take though but there are less people on smaller ships and that can help in ports. Looks like no matter which port you will stop at there will be other cruise ships See http://www.cruisett.com. to see what ships on which days.

We just did the Zuiderdam and it was a lovely ship, great staff and some of the best HAL MDR meals so far. That being said, I agree if you take the Volendam you are on a better schedule and may not share the same days and stops with up to 4 other large ships from Celebrity, Princess and even other HAL ships. You will not be leaving on Saturday from Vancouver along with another larger Princess ship which may be easier for embarkation as well as seeing Vancouver during its normal week day downtown activities if you decide to go up a day ahead of time.

So more than the ship, the daily schedule of who you will also be sharing ports with may make a difference. That being said, while there were up to four ships in some of our Zuiderdam port stops, this may have added to a sense of liveliness to these small towns who may have little else going for them than this temporary summer tourism on top of their decided uniqueness and history.

If your DH has already fallen in love with the Volendam, that has to be a big plus. Yet, I can see your preference for the aft cabin because you will probably want as much viewing possibility from your cabin and balcony as possible as often the weather (over-cast, cold, rainy and/or windy summer in Alaska) keeps you from being outdoors on deck and the warmer viewings spots by the Lido pool and Crowsnest are more heavily impacted. We spent a lot of time sitting inside our suite verandah room looking out the large windows, across the glass balcony railings staying warm while viewing the scenery. Does the Volendam have glass balconies - this could matter.

Bottomline: you can't lose. Terrific trip and both would be great choices.

The last time I went to Alaska ('06) it was on the Volendam. Although I haven't been on the Zuiderdam, I have been on 2 of her sisters, as well as the E-dam.

I would choose the Volendam over a Zuiderdam-size ship. It's so much easier to get from one great viewing place to another on the Volemdam, as the ship is smaller. I was able to sit out on the Lido aft for hours at a time, in complete comfort. That area granted superlative views!

I agree that the Volendam schedule is better, as far as competition in ports goes. It's also better for disembarkation, especially if you're heading straight to the airport.

Archived