Wonderful Review of Nieuw Amsterdam, from Carnival's Sr. CD John heald

Overtime4me2

Nice review of the Nieuw Amsterdam by Carnival's Sr. CD John Heald who was able to be at the ceremony and stay on board.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2010/07/06/dam-what-an-absolutely-brilliant-ship/

I really enjoyed it, and had some laughs too :D

John's review was great and the picture of the staff in the new uniforms with his daughter Kye is so precious. :)

John's review was great and the picture of the staff in the new uniforms with his daughter Kye is so precious. :)

Hi DBA!

I enjoy your blog everyday too! I have it set in my RSS Ticker (wonderful little gadget). You've been posting some beautiful pics of the new ship.

I too enjoyed that pic of Kye with the staff. She's a precious little cutie :D

Perhaps because they are away from their families for so long but the sight of a child brings enough smiles from the crew that they could light up a room. I've seen them sing to the children, make little rabbits from a napkin and just make them feel as welcome and happy as they can.

Dear John,

Your report lost credibility in the third paragraph when you said “I want to tell you the most important news about Holland America’s new flagship. It is not full of passengers who have walkers Just like the myth that Holland America is a cruise line for old people and their parents is also………absolute rubbish"... John.. What bull!

Apparently you are oblivious to all the canes, crutches, walkers and scooters. I am a HAL fan and frequent cruiser however your lame attempt at PR falls flat after the above statement.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

409 days at sea

34 cruises

11 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific

Booked

12 day TA Norwegian Sun Oct 2010

28 day Rio/Amazon river/ Ft. Lauderdale

he was talking about the newest flagship - N.A., not all cruises. So, he is talking about the inaugural cruise and the people on it. Unless you are on the inaugural, how can anyone know what type of people are on the cruise?

he was talking about the newest flagship - N.A., not all cruises. So, he is talking about the inaugural cruise and the people on it. Unless you are on the inaugural, how can anyone know what type of people are on the cruise?

I do believe when John said "Just like the myth that Holland America is a cruise line for old people and their parents"

I believe he was talking about HAL in general and in my experience the cruise line is for old people and that is not a myth..I prefer HAL because I enjoy an older crowd.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

409 days at sea

34 cruises

11 cruise lines

Booked

28 day Rio/Amazon river/ Ft. Lauderdale March 2011

I do believe when John said "Just like the myth that Holland America is a cruise line for old people and their parents"

I believe he was talking about HAL in general and in my experience the cruise line is for old people and that is not a myth..I prefer HAL because I enjoy an older crowd.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

409 days at sea

34 cruises

11 cruise lines

Booked

28 day Rio/Amazon river/ Ft. Lauderdale March 2011

Dennis my first cruise was on NCL and all I can remember is oxygen tanks, walkers and canes. (we were much younger then) That's when DH and I decided we were going to cruise while we were in good health. We are not old but we are not young either (late 50's and early 60's). I don't think HAL now has any more people in walkers, whatever than any other premier cruise line.

I too enjoy the companionship of intelligent, well travelled, entertaining people. Quite often they may be older and they may be younger. Over the years, I have seen a big difference in HAL's demographics. Unless you are on a longer cruise. On any longer cruise with any cruise line, it has to be people that either (a) have a lot of vacation time or (b) are retired or © independently wealthy.

And I have enjoyed the people I have met on these cruises. I have seen many 'older' people put the others to shame on tours. I myself have been the first one up the Naples stairs when much younger people had to stop and take a break.

I guess what I am trying to say it's not how old you feel, it's how old you are at heart. And I find most of HAL's passengers young at heart no matter what their age. and from what I have seen the demographics have definitely changed, at least on the shorter cruises. And like you, I enjoy HAL and the passengers, but maybe not for quite the same reasons. :):)

I guess what I am trying to say it's not how old you feel, it's how old you are at heart. And I find most of HAL's passengers young at heart no matter what their age. and from what I have seen the demographics have definitely changed, at least on the shorter cruises. And like you, I enjoy HAL and the passengers, but maybe not for quite the same reasons. :):)

I am glad we agree about our appreciation of older cruisers..

Dennis

After 18 HAL cruises, most over 10 days and several over 64 days, I am very amused by the comments about all the walkers, canes and scooters. What do you dwell on at home?

Yes there are folks with mobility aids, but the VAST majority of passengers do not use any aids to get around. The VAST majority get around just fine on their own both on the ship and on land. Seriously and in all honesty, what percent of passengers on any cruise use walkers, canes or scooters? On most cruises I have been on I would put the number at under 10%, probably closer to under 5%.

Particularly on a ship with its motion and in places where the sidewalks are not as good as in the USA, I admire folks who recognize that to be safe they need a cane or even walker rather that risk falling. I can only hope that I can still be cruising if and when I need mobility aids. Oh, I already have needed them on a temporary basis after two very major abdominal surgeries. It was the only way I could do all the walking my surgeons wanted without making my husband stay home all day to walk with me.

If everything works out planning-wise I'll be able to meet John this fall in California.

Hoping to turn the tables and interview HIM a little :)

DBA,

I look forward to your interview with John. That would be fun and very interesting! Have fun with it! :D

Archived