navigator-exchange to Euros on ship

DONNAKG

hi all- I have read in the past that exchanging USD for euros on the ship is really not any more costly than the atm's.. it 's just having enuff with you before you leave the ship for the day... Correct???:confused:

I know someone will enlighten me ,, LOL:rolleyes:

thanks Donnakg

It does cost more to exchange on the ship. Their rates and fees are higher. I brought my own Euros last year after getting some from Wells Fargo Bank in California. But I ran a bit short and had to exchange some dollars on the ship. The rate was terrible compared to Wells Fargo.

Now if you just plan on getting a small amount, $100 or so, it won't matter much. But if you plan to exchange a lot, it will cost you.

I use a Visa Debit card tied to my Fidelity account at ATM's in Europe. It's a very cheap way to exchange money and Fidelity pays all bank fees. The total charge is 1%.

We tried to change dollars to euros on the Navigator in April and they told us they don't exchange euros. So be forewarned. Luckily we had about 500E before leaving the US and used ATM's in Rome with no difficulty.

If they did exchange, I bet the rate would not be very good.

Get some Euros before you leave. It's just peace of mind that you'll be prepared for at least your first day. You can find someplace in your vicinity that has exchange facilities, or there are several places on the Internet where you can do exchanges. For me, it's nice to not have to scramble to find Euros right after landing! If you need more, you can most likely find a friendly ATM landside to use.

There is a significant difference in exchange rates - onboard is far more costlier. In March and April, cost 20% more onboard vs. ATMs. Roughly, that meant you paid $120 (vs $100 at an ATM) for the equivalent in euros. That's costly "convenience."

Even if you only want 100 euros - you need euros for excursions or when off the ship alone - far better to use an ATM for cash. Plus, euros cash are a superior deal than the transaction and exchange conversion fees imposed by AmEx/Visa in restaurants & stores.

ATM are plentiful, very simple to use, instructions in English. Don't be a scaredy cat!

We have used every way imaginable to get euros :eek: some good - some NOT so good. Sometimes you just do what ya gotta do.

Best way - ATM's. But then you have to take the time to stop and sometimes that is not convenient. Ahhh convenience - that is probably the best argument for using the ship. Which we did. Rate was not the best we got -- but not the worst either. Do not use kiosk in airports (such as American Express) or any exchange places near sites such as Coliseum etc. What a rip off. Only get what you think you will need towards the end of the cruise. To sell them back is not good option.

So - when you land at airport - hit an airport ATM. When you run out - find another ATM or use the ship for convenience.

I currently live in Europe and are military so we get paid in dollars and through our US bank. The best way to get euro cash is through an ATM over here. We live in Spain- and we have lived in Germany. And it is definately true in both of those countries. Whenever we travel here that is how we get money.

I agree with the last post. Go to an ATM to get Euros.

Keith

thanks to all for your responses

I ordered plenty to start with from our bank here with no fees & no money up front, was here in 2 working days.

donnakg:D

Archived