Anyone going to Coldfoot and Deadhorse?

LaurieCM

We went on the Arctic explorer cruisetour 2 years ago and are still talking about it! Going north on the Dalton Highway was a highlight! We were watching ice truckers on TV the other night and the truckers stayed at the same place we had. ;)

We went on the Arctic explorer cruisetour 2 years ago and are still talking about it! Going north on the Dalton Highway was a highlight! We were watching ice truckers on TV the other night and the truckers stayed at the same place we had. ;)

Love IRT..wish other ships (RCI) had this cruisetour available and other ports like Homer/Kodiak/Dutch Harbor...Where did you stay in Coldfoot and Deadhorse and what did you do ?...Details about all including the cruise please !!!!

we attempted to drive the Dalton Hwy in a rental car a few years ago. We planned to go as far as Arctic Circle, but turned back after only 2 hours; it was frightening! Those trucks just fly down the hills and around the corners, kicking up so much dust and gravel that you can't see a thing. If the trailers were empty, sometimes they became airborne as they came around the corners. We felt far too vulnerable out there. If I was to attempt it again, i would probably use that rental co in Fairbanks that provides extra tires and a CB.

It might be one of those trips that is best left to a tour company, but I hate tours. Plus I've seen some great photo journals from people who drove to Prudhoe so I'd hate to be stuck on a tour bus. Maybe flightseeing is the best answer for that area. The Gates of the Arctic National Park is certainly intriguing.

Hi! We had never been on a tour like this, but loved it. We had read here on CC that they "herded" the passengers around, but it never seemed like that. Years ago my parents did the Dalton Highway in a motorhome and reported no problems. Our review is still listed under Alaska- it was 1st published in August '08. Traveling through the Brooks Range was fantastic. I didn't expect the herds of wild muskox. Twice we stopped because the herds were right beside the highway. They are dangerous, so we couldn't get off the bus, but my pictures are amazing-they were just feet from my window! In Coldfoot we stayed at the Slate Creek Inn- this is where truckers stay- very rustic, maybe a 1 star, but fine. Good food at the restaurant. We had a couple Coldfoot Pilsners and went to the ranger talk. In Deadhorse we stayed at the Caribou Inn along with oil workers. In the cafeteria you sit with the oil field workers, they are glad to sit with ladies who remind them of their sisters and mothers. We always seem to have a good time, but this was a very special trip. When friends and family talk about going to Alaska my DH says "go all the way", it is pricy to go north of Fairbanks, either on your own or with a tour, but it was so worth it. The Arctic Circle is just a line on the map and a photo op, but putting your feet in the Arctic Ocean is really an event. ;)

we attempted to drive the Dalton Hwy in a rental car a few years ago. We planned to go as far as Arctic Circle, but turned back after only 2 hours; it was frightening! Those trucks just fly down the hills and around the corners, kicking up so much dust and gravel that you can't see a thing. If the trailers were empty, sometimes they became airborne as they came around the corners. We felt far too vulnerable out there. If I was to attempt it again, i would probably use that rental co in Fairbanks that provides extra tires and a CB.

You are darn lucky you turned around. You are NOT supposed to drive "regular" rental cars on the Dalton. IF anything would have happened (even a flat tire) you would have been totally liable for the ENTIRE cost (tow truck call out charges JUST to change a flat are a bare minimum of $250.00). And if you are not pretty darn mechanical and have at least bare minimum hand tools plus the required duct tape and baling wire, you could be waiting a LOOOOONG time for help if anything happens. Even though it sounds easy, changing a tire in DIRT is NOT that easy. And with all the new cars REQUIRING lug nuts to be torqued to 140 pounds, unless you have a large 3 or 4 ft cheater pipe, few people can even break the lug nuts loose anymore. You are very lucky you turned around.

It might be one of those trips that is best left to a tour company, but I hate tours. Plus I've seen some great photo journals from people who drove to Prudhoe so I'd hate to be stuck on a tour bus. Maybe flightseeing is the best answer for that area. The Gates of the Arctic National Park is certainly intriguing.

I have driven the Dalton 2 times in a BP 1 ton van and DH and I drove it in an Arctic Outfitters rental. One of my ex employees is a BP safety manager at Prudhoe and he makes arrangements for me and some of my other employees who are his good friends to return vans BP is trading in. The BP employees don't want to do it. They don't get paid extra and they want to get on the plane and get home when their breaks come. We all have CDL's and can provide commercial insurance through my company. Don't know how long that will last but hopefully for quite a while. I have also driven it in a semi many years ago (1984-the road was NOWHERE as GOOD as it is now-we delivered an entire load of salad dressing from Cedar Rapids Iowa).

The small van tours from Northern Alaska tour company are VERY good. No more than 6 people in the van. Fly one way, then drive the other. Or even drive both ways (although I think that would be just "too much") You can get off the main road and see things the large cruise line tour buses can't see (like the actual oil pumping stations and all the "thumper trucks" that are kept in one location about 40 miles North of Coldfoot). Nothing like a picnic sitting under the Yukon river bridge, complete with red checkered table cloth, splits of champagne and a mosquito defogger. Enjoy!!!

I didn't expect the herds of wild muskox. Twice we stopped because the herds were right beside the highway. They are dangerous, so we couldn't get off the bus, but my pictures are amazing-they were just feet from my window!

You couldn't get off the bus because it is against Federal DOT regulations to unload passengers from a 20 passenger or more vehicle within 20 feet of the roadway (school bus exemptions).

While the muskox herds could be dangerous, they are generally very afraid of people. I have pictures somewhere of DH standing less than 10 feet from one of the herds up by Prudhoe and standing within 3 feet of a large bull around the area BP keeps their "thumper" trucks. He walked right up to it-carefully of course, but he is an avid hunter and I wasn't worried at all. Better the muskox than the bears he always seems to run into fishing.

You are darn lucky you turned around. You are NOT supposed to drive "regular" rental cars on the Dalton.

The rental company allowed us to drive as far as the Arctic Circle. Don't know if that's possible now but it was then. And actually our RV rental company just last yr allowed RVs to be taken to Arctic Circle (with restrictions). We drove as far as the Dalton Hwy sign (at the request of our overseas guest). With that RV suspension I couldn't imagine driving it to the Circle.

GreatAm, those of us who from time to time stay over at Prudhoe Bay due to work are darn tired of hearing the complaints of tourists about how bad our living conditions are! The complaints we've heard (mostly from women) are about the plain rooms, beds and etc and how boring it all is.

Boring!

As for driving the Haul road when a tourist.....very dumb.

You know how many people are killed on that road every year. Too many!

At least we don't have to pay for our meals.

GreatAm, those of us who from time to time stay over at Prudhoe Bay due to work are darn tired of hearing the complaints of tourists about how bad our living conditions are! The complaints we've heard (mostly from women) are about the plain rooms, beds and etc and how boring it all is.

Boring!

As for driving the Haul road when a tourist.....very dumb.

You know how many people are killed on that road every year. Too many!

At least we don't have to pay for our meals.

I know, I know. Last time I was there, ALL I heard were complaints except about the food (which I think is absolutely excellent considering where you are). I was sitting there eating breakfast and b***, b***, b*** from the majority of women. One lady really let her hubby have it-"I WILL NEVER listen to you again. This is worse than camping. Can't you GET ME OUT OF HERE???".

I NEVER recommend anyone drive the road unless they are VERY mechanically inclined and can fend for themselves TOTALLY (like most truck drivers I know-LOL!!!). It is NOT made for the average Mom and Pop tourist, even as far as the Arctic Circle (and who wants to go see a sign in a rest area???)

GrandAm- our bus did stop between Coldfoot and Deadhorse- we got out of the bus and sat outside to eat our sack lunches. Before we left for our cruisetour we carefully researched all aspects of the trip (lodging, etc), so we were prepared for the Caribou Inn- it was fine, as was the Slate Creek Inn. The people who had only seen pictures of the resorts are the one who are surprised by the accomodations. The cruiselines should be more open about the northern hotels, it would save complaining, and for us the rustic nature of the places added to the trip.;)

You have the right attitude!

Yes the northern 'hotels' are much more like trailers than anything else, but they work in the situation. The staff accommodations often have bathrooms down the hall and they are shared. Tourists get a room with an 'en suite' bathroom. Truth in advertising would help.

The rooms are clean and the food is decent.

Every year we figure that the tourist visits will be turned off but they continue.

Archived