Shampoo Bars

I have a shampoo discovery to share. It is a henna shampoo bar that dyes my hair a tiny bit to cover the gray. I'm psyched b/c I can bring it on the cruise! (we're flying) The people who make it also have non-henna (no color) bars. I've tried the lavender and it was nice. I got it at http://buyhenna.com/

:cool:

Lush also carries a line of solid shampoos. I've used them for travel for years. You can buy a tin that fits the shampoo for travel, also. That's one less item to have to worry about with only carryon luggage!

Lush also carries a line of solid shampoos. I've used them for travel for years. You can buy a tin that fits the shampoo for travel, also. That's one less item to have to worry about with only carryon luggage!

I am a big fan of the Lush solid shampoos too. They even have one (Godiva) that includes a conditioner.

At my local shops, if you buy two "bars" (they are actually round, about 2" in diameter and about 1/2 " thick) you get a tin for free.

One bar got me through a 6 week tropical trip where I was washing my hair at least once a day and often twice. At the end, I still had enough left for at least a two week trip.

Great stuff for someone who hates checking luggage.

You do have to "test sniff" their products. There are some things that I love and some things that are too much for me. I love the Godiva shampoo bar. And, the Karma Komba bar is up there, too. Lush usually will give a tin for free if you buy 2 bars. For the henna folks, the Reincarnate bar is pretty good. They also have their line of henna dyes too. I did henna once a long time ago - I couldn't deal with the smell. I felt like I was in a barnyard!!

Oh, I love that Lush Chocolate WhipStick! I keep putting it on, licking it off, putting it on... They have a lip scrub now that smells like milk chocolate - I have to try that one!!! Now, I have to go to the website and put in an order for stuff: let's see: I need another Godiva, some more WhipStick, a lip scrub, a Sexy Peel soap, some Coconut deodorant, and a Sonic Death Monkey shower gel.

Alrana and Slidergirl, I'll have to try the chocolate lip balm!

For me, the Mask of Magnaminty face mask, used regularly, does wonderful things to my skin and Ayesha (another face mask) is amazing for making my face glow for an evening out.

I just avoid the strong smelling stuff except for the Bath Bombs.

I have a shampoo discovery to share. It is a henna shampoo bar that dyes my hair a tiny bit to cover the gray. I'm psyched b/c I can bring it on the cruise! (we're flying) The people who make it also have non-henna (no color) bars. I've tried the lavender and it was nice. I got it at http://buyhenna.com/

Thanks so much for this tip! I've started to have problems (burning scalp, losing hair) with the over-the-counter hair dyes, but regular henna sounded like so much work. I emailed the website and got a response within minutes! I think I'm going to try it.

The only real problem with henna is that it doesn't cover well and will fade to really odd colors over time. Kind of like drug store mens coloring products that have metalic dyes that fade to a rusty color and look weird and feel even weirder. When I was a hair stylist I used old scissors on henna'ed and mens home hair coloring as the hair would dull my expensive scissors. I've not been a fan of henna since the 70's.

Instead of a hair dye with peroxide, try demi permanent color. It fades out in about 3 weeks or so, but can be redone that often if you wish.

I've not tried shampoo bars, but won't use soap bars on my body. I have no idea if shampoo bars contain wax, but soap does, that's what keeps the bar together along with other ingredients. That wax is the scum buildup on your tub and probably a residue on your skin. That thought keeps me from shampoo bars :p

If you're experiencing allergic reactions to the chemicals in permanent hair color, chances are you'll have the same problem with demi permanent hair color. They also usually have peroxide in them, although not as much as permanent. I'm already having hair fallout, I'm afraid to keep using the chemical processes.

To give you an idea of what is in the Lush solid shampoos, here is the ingredient list for the Godiva bar (which 2 of us here mentioned):

Ingredient Gallery

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate...

Fair Trade Cocoa Butter (Theob...

Cetearyl Alcohol and Sodium La...

Glycerl Stearate & Peg - 100 S...

Propylene Glycol

Perfume

Hibiscus Extract (Hibiscus ros...

Stearic Acid

Shea Butter (Butyrospermum par...

Cetearyl Alcohol

Cetrimide

Camella Oil (Camella japonita)...

Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia chinens...

Macadamia Nut Oil (Macadamia t...

Coconut Butter (Cocos nucifera...

Jasmine Absolute (Jasminum off...

Ylang Ylang Oil (Cananga odora...

Cypress Oil (Cupressus semperv...

Palmarossa Oil (Cymbopogan mar...

Jasmine Flowers (Jasminum offi...

Lanolin

Cocamide DEA

Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jas...

Benzyl Alcohol

Geraniol

*Limonene

*Linalool

Quantitative Ingredients

• Sodium Lauryl Sulfate,
  • Fair Trade Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao),
  • Cetearyl Alcohol and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate,
  • Glycerl Stearate & Peg - 100 Stearate,
  • Propylene Glycol,
  • Perfume,
  • Hibiscus Extract (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis),
  • Stearic Acid,
  • Shea Butter (Butyrospermum parkii),
  • Cetearyl Alcohol,
  • Cetrimide,
  • Camella Oil (Camella japonita),
  • Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia chinensis),
  • Macadamia Nut Oil (Macadamia ternifolia),
  • Coconut Butter (Cocos nucifera),
  • Jasmine Absolute (Jasminum officinale),
  • Ylang Ylang Oil (Cananga odorata),
  • Cypress Oil (Cupressus sempervirens),
  • Palmarossa Oil (Cymbopogan martini),
  • Jasmine Flowers (Jasminum officinale),
  • Lanolin,
  • Cocamide DEA,
  • Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides),
  • Benzyl Alcohol,
  • Geraniol,
  • *Limonene,
  • *Linalool.

I don't know if any of those are "wax". The shampoo bars don't feel waxy at all like soap, they are more compressed ingredients...

The only real problem with henna is that it doesn't cover well and will fade to really odd colors over time. Kind of like drug store mens coloring products that have metalic dyes that fade to a rusty color and look weird and feel even weirder. When I was a hair stylist I used old scissors on henna'ed and mens home hair coloring as the hair would dull my expensive scissors. I've not been a fan of henna since the 70's.

Instead of a hair dye with peroxide, try demi permanent color. It fades out in about 3 weeks or so, but can be redone that often if you wish.

I've not tried shampoo bars, but won't use soap bars on my body. I have no idea if shampoo bars contain wax, but soap does, that's what keeps the bar together along with other ingredients. That wax is the scum buildup on your tub and probably a residue on your skin. That thought keeps me from shampoo bars :p

My bar of Dove does not have wax listed on its ingredients list.

Shak

My bar of Dove does not have wax listed on its ingredients list.

Shak

What holds it together as a bar then? Something similar to wax (?), perhaps I'm wrong.

I know that I never have soap scum in my tub because I never use bar soap. It stopped showing up after I started using shower gel instead.

OK, read a bit about making bar soap. They use fats and oils. Same with candle making. Although, many soaps today no longer use animal fats.

When I worked at a hotel they sold their used animal fats to a tallow company.

OK, read a bit about making bar soap. They use fats and oils. Same with candle making. Although, many soaps today no longer use animal fats.

When I worked at a hotel they sold their used animal fats to a tallow company.

Actually Happy ks I make soap for a living. I do not make bar soap but I do know very well the ingredients of soap and how to make it.

Shak

• 1 year later...

I am bringing back this old thread to ask if the shampoo and conditioner bars really give the same results as liquids. My mother is thinking of trying this but has fine, thinning hair. I have a feeling she won't get the soft, full results she gets from her salon shampoo. Anyone have current experience? Thank you.

You won't get "soap scum" from most detergents...and that's what most shampoos and most bar "soaps" are...detergent. However, you can get dirt in the tub from lotions, and sunscreens that you've applied to your body...and of course, any dirt you wash off of you might stick to the tub.

You can bring almost any liquid on the plane in your CHECKED bags, so if you don't use bar shampoo, you don't need to run out and try to find it!

The only real problem with henna is that it doesn't cover well and will fade to really odd colors over time...I've not been a fan of henna since the 70's.

I use only henna on my hair, and that has NEVER been my experience. Ever. Maybe they used cheap or adulterated henna in the 70s; I don't know. (I was a kid then.) But I use either Rainbow brand henna or Lush hennas, and it always fades in a very natural way. I've used Rainbow henna off and on since the mid-90s, and Lush hennas for three years for so.

I've not tried shampoo bars, but won't use soap bars on my body. I have no idea if shampoo bars contain wax, but soap does, that's what keeps the bar together along with other ingredients.

No shampoo bar I've ever used contains wax, whether beeswax or a paraffin-type wax. As for body soap, I've only used small-batch super-fatted natural soaps for the past few years, which contain absolutely wonderful ingredients that are good for your skin.

I also looked up "soap scum"; it is formed by the fatty acids in soap reacting with calcium and/or magnesium in the water. (Hard water has lots of minerals, but even softer water can have some.) There's no wax involved in the process.

I am bringing back this old thread to ask if the shampoo and conditioner bars really give the same results as liquids. My mother is thinking of trying this but has fine, thinning hair. I have a feeling she won't get the soft, full results she gets from her salon shampoo. Anyone have current experience? Thank you.

I have lots of fine hair. I use Godiva from Lush, and my husband absolutely LOVES how my hair feels. About once a week (sometimes less often) I use their Jungle conditioner. Again, he loves the results.

Oh my gosh! Do you know how long I've been looking for something like this? I NEED THIS! I'm so lax keeping up with my henna… :o

I'm just always so busy, you know?

(Sorry, I hit submit on the last one by mistake, and I took too long editing it...so I had to make a new post.)

Does the henna, either in bars or other preparations really work on gray/white hair? I use Ion hair color at home and love the color, but I have noticed that I'm shedding hair a lot and my scalp seems a little tender.

I have been sick though. My natural hair color is brown with a lot of red highlights and I use light auborn in hair coloring.

I like doing my own at home because when the dreaded white/grey regrowth shows up I can just do a quick touch up. Will a product that is used for every shampoo actually dye the stubborn grey and prevent the regrowth line from showing up?

I know the henna products from my youth were pretty fake looking, but maybe improvements have been made.

Off to google 'henna'!

Does the henna, either in bars or other preparations really work on gray/white hair?

My natural hair color is brown with a lot of red highlights and I use light auborn in hair coloring.

My natural hair color is (now) a kind of medium golden brown with red highlights. I was red-headed as a baby, turned extremely golden blonde, and then went into light brown with red highlights in my early-to-mid-twenties. Now I have white hairs showing up at the crown of my head, (front and center!) and when I henna, they turn out lighter than the medium golden brown hair does. It surprises me how many of my casual friends who I only see sporadically don't realize I color my hair, so I guess it looks natural! (A lot of them assume I'm a redhead.)

But I use Lush's Caca Rouge sometimes, which is really red. (I get a disclaimer every time I purchase it, if I've been using Rainbow auburn henna. "You know this is very red, right? Not reddish brown?")

I like that henna fades gradually, so I don't get that stark, I-need-to-recolor, demarcation line!

Of course, your mileage may vary. :)

My favorite beauty subject on my favorite cruise website-yay! I have a serious love affair with LUSH. Their solid shampoos are great. Karma Komba and Seanick are my favorites. I have a lot of hair, but thin strands. I get great body from these. The bad part is that the solid conditioners are awful for my hair. I get horrid knots and rip half my hair out. Someone recommended I take a tiny bit and rub it on my palms for a leave in conditioner. That didn't help. It was still tangled and there was added weight in my hair, so I lost the bounce effect. Too bad, because I think the Jungle conditioner smells FANTATSTIC.

I have yet to try the henna. It's like a half day time committment and I'm nevervous about the color. Every time I'm ready to take the plunge, I chicken out.

Archived