Stingray City Excursion

tobeyjc

Hello,

Me and my partner are booked for stingray city from Royal Caribbean,we start sailing in August 1st. is it better to book it outside like those different agent or tour? If the outside is better how can I cancel my excursion with RCC? I need suggestions please which Tour should I get? Thanks.

You should be able to cancel your tours either on line or via the 1-800 number.

The independent tour operators are usually cheaper (no cruise line profit), and generally use smaller boats. We were very happy with Moby Dick - great service, wonderful snorkel stop before we went to see the rays, no pressure to buy pictures or dvds, and cheaper than Carnival (only $40 each last year). Check them out and these boards can offer you other suggestions. Good luck!:)

You should be able to cancel your tours either on line or via the 1-800 number.

The independent tour operators are usually cheaper (no cruise line profit), and generally use smaller boats. We were very happy with Moby Dick - great service, wonderful snorkel stop before we went to see the rays, no pressure to buy pictures or dvds, and cheaper than Carnival (only $40 each last year). Check them out and these boards can offer you other suggestions. Good luck!:)

Thanks for your help I will think about it, and It looks like Moby Dick is a great Private Tour... Thanks a lot..

I would just take the ships tour. You won't have to worry about missing the tour if the ship is running late. Just my opinion.

Keith

Thanks for your help you got a point me and my partner are worried about running late to the ship.

have a another question for you if thats ok, what about credidt card, do they get deposit like, put a hold on your card even though we're going to pay cash? Thanks.

We haven't been there yet but we booked privately through Island Marketing and are doing the waverunner/rum point beach/stingray city tour. The tour only takes out like 5 waverunners at at time so small tour which we are looking forward to! Also they only took a 20% deposit and we pay the rest in cash when we do the tour.

Talli

We just came off the Solstice and did the stingray with Captain Marvin's. They're the original company. They were excellent with customer service through way of answering emails promptly. For example, I originally wanted to do the all day stingray, snorkel and beach club but Rosel from C. Marvin's realized it didn't match with the time our ship would be there. She held a spot on a half day for us until we were able to make up our mind. They take a credit card # to reserve spots but won't charge it for a deposit unless you don't cancel in time. You're not charged if the ship doesn't dock. They prefer cash at check in and their cost is comparable to others.

They are very aware of cruise ship times and will not let you miss the boat! There was plenty of food for the stingrays and ample fresh water or fruit punch to drink (included). They have a variety of fin sizes and some water with mild soap to prevent masks from fogging up. At the sandbar they get out of the boat (easy step-type ladder) and will help you with any questions. They'll hold the stingray for you and help you hold it (or kiss it) for pictures. They did not take pictures to sell us the day we went. There are plenty of people around you to ask if they'll take a picture for you. C. Marvins isn't crowded like the ship's excursions.

Everyone, of course, has their own opinion. We've cruised a few times and find the main difference between ship excursion and private vendor is the number of people. Our experience has been butt to butt people on ship excursions and lots fewer tourists on private vendor tours. Price difference is usually minimal.

Miss the ship??? The private vendor also depends on ship passengers for their living, so they want referrals... passengers missing a ship.... it would be ALL OVER cruisecritic and that vendor would be out of business.

That being said, one year in Coz we booked a ship excursion because it seemed to meet the wants of all 5 of us... good thing!!! The ferry was late late late and they held the ship... we were the last 5 onboard. Would the ship have waited if it had been a private vendor??? Don't know!

Cruise these threads and you'll find some great recommendations. If you find a vendor that isn't recommended on CC.... probably wouldn't hire them.

Have a fabulous time!

We just sailed the Freedom of the Seas and did the Stingray city beach lunch excursion, through RCI.

The boat and guides out to the stingrays were phenomenal:). Met our every need from making sure we were hydrated, showing those who did not know how to snorkel how to do it, and swimming in the water with us.

The problem arouse when we returned to land, some people were to go back to the ship, others to other excursions like us, we were to go to the beach lunch.

There were 3 boat loads of people I am guessing around 75. But, there were only 3 buses, 1 big, and 2 small.

Our family was first in line waiting to board the small bus, when a female tour director goes "Oh lunch people follow me" so we did. She took us to an empty parking lot.

Now I am Hot, tired did I say hot!!:mad:

So I proceed to go back to the line where I was first in line to get on the bus, and a fellow passenger said "Hey the line starts back there" I go " I was first in line before this tour director steered us wrong!:confused:"

The tour guide then get this, had all the people that were on a bus, get off, and put all of us on that bus. Even the man who saw me return to the front of the line (I meant no harm, nor did I cut in front of him out of rudeness).

I was glad to see he and his family got on the bus.

When I returned to the Freedom I filed a complaint about this tour company.

If per chance the man is a member of cruise critic, I do apologize, and hope you had a safe fun cruise, in spite of me.

So, moral of story: Think twice when booking this excursion to stingray city, thought the cruise excursion would only select quality personel.

Humble in Ohio

Sue

They emailed me back and said they could take us!! Gonna book it right now! Does Capt Marvin feed the stingrays?

dstone, the crew on Capt Marvin's feeds the rays and they will help you hold one for a photo, you'll dive for conch and they'll be sure every passenger on their boat has a beautiful shell. The crew has been with Capt Marvin for years and they are WONDERFUL!!

Sailed with Carnival Conquest. Native Way Water Sports is also a good choice. There were 15 on our boat for the Stingray, Coral Reef and Starfish snorkeling. We weren't rushed and had plenty of time in the water with instruction for those that needed it. We made it back in plenty of time to eat and shop before tendering. They will drop you back at 7 mile beach or take you back to the port, your choice. Their prices are competitive and if they have room will take you on that day. Sharon Ebanks is prompt with e-mailing to answer questions. Transportation cost is included to and from the excursion which is not included with some excursions. I have a feeling if there were any mechanical problems that excursions help each other out. There are plenty of boats in the area to assist with problems.

we used moby dick tours in cayman. they were recommended by a family member who had gone on an earlier cruise w/them. those guys were AWESOME!!!! nicolas & william were our guides and they spent a lot of time w/us, we had a small group, less than 20 people. it was great!!! we would highly recommend them and would definitely use them again if we go back to cayman.

We just returned from our cruise and we used Moby Dick tours for our Stingray City snorkeling trip. They were awesome!! We had lots of personal attention from the crew and we all had ample opportunity to hold, kiss and feed the stingrays. I highly recommend this tour company and the experience. My family loved Stingray City. It was definitely a highlight of our cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We are just back and did the trip with Moby Dick. They were great and we were back in loads of time to do some shopping and return to the ship. I think we were away for about 3 1/2 hours in total. Would highly recommend them.

Thanks for your help you got a point me and my partner are worried about running late to the ship.

We booked directly with Carnival when we went swimming with the stingrays, can't remember the name of the gentlemen that took us(will look it up), but is we had not booked with the cruise we would have been left behind! the boat that took us out to the sand bar had engine issues and it was very busy on the sandbar that day, so we lagged back a bit till some other boats left so we were not crowded! Even though we paid a bit more for the tour(stringrays,turtle farm and Hell) it was well worth the few extra dollars to ensure the cruise waited for us to return to the ship! JMO

I am heading out on a cruise in Jan and one tour we want to do will make us very tight on time! I am booking it through Carnival yet again! But it is $60-80 cheaper then a private company! Cost to fly back home alot more!

My mom, ten year old brother and I enjoyed the Stingray City excusion that we booked with Royal Caribbean. We had a wonderful time feeding, holding and touching stingrays. There is a detailed review of our experience, with photos, posted at mydreamcametrue.com/stingraycity

Archived