why do ships use Civitavecchia (rome)

armstrong677

I just booked 3 nights at the Hotel Raffaello for next May and the price is $165 Euros per night for that time of year. However the reviews on TripAdvisor are overwhelmingly positive so I hope I won't feel ripped off. :)

We stayed there last November (prior to relocating to the Hilton for our final night) and were very pleased. We felt it was a good value for Rome.

Geez, I kind of like it! It is very easy and inexpensive to get to Rome using the train, and the town itself is WAY better than some industrial port towns I have docked in.

Wouldn't even consider staying at the Hilton however, with so many great places right in Rome. Our hotel was 70 euros a night including full breakfast, which I bet was a lot cheaper than the Hilton. Plus we could walk out our door and be right in the historic part of the city.

What would you consider to be a good alternative port for today's big ships? Offhand I don't know of any place closer to the city that could handle the traffic. . .I guess the cruiselines have a problem when the main attractions, like Rome and Florence, are not located on the water. Venice is great though!

Cathy.......please tell me where you stayed for 70 euros a night. My husband and I are cruising out of Rome (Civitavecchia) in 2011, and we need to spend at least one night in Rome. (I would love to say longer, but I doubt if I can talk my husband into it.) Any into is appreciated.:)

Cathy.......please tell me where you stayed for 70 euros a night. My husband and I are cruising out of Rome (Civitavecchia) in 2011, and we need to spend at least one night in Rome. (I would love to say longer, but I doubt if I can talk my husband into it.) Any into is appreciated.:)

See Post #22 in this thread--it was the Raffaello but others have said it is more depending on time of year--we were there this January!

I totally agree what were the Romans thinking 2000+ years ago picking that place. They should have thought about the tourist and especially us cruiser and put the city right at the Ocean. I'd sure have liked to dock with Forum a 5' walk.

Seriously that is the nature of the beast, can'd afford, it, don't think it is worth the time, then skip it. I didn't like it either but even given the roundtrip that day as well as our day in florence were one for the ages. Yeah it would have been nice to have more time, but if that is what you need/want do a land tour :D

This port is hardly Rome, it is an absolute nightmare to get to and if you are using private transfers from the airport then it is also a fortune.

the port is not fit for purpose as a cruising port, you have to get a bus from the cruise gates to the cruise terminal and vice versa, my wife and I have both said that we wouldnt use this port again as a departure port.

Adding to this we stayed a pre night and post night in the hilton hotel at rome airport and have got to say that it was no more than a convenience hotel, we had to wait in line for 45mins until getting checked in and the server did not bat and eyelid when we complained, the prices for drinks and food are crazy, there is nothing for little ones to do.

just thought id post so others can add or have a think about it.

Thanks

One hour is no big deal. I do have a problem with them calling Le Havre the Paris port when it's three hours away. That's like calling Boston port a port for New York city. I guess that if you want to spend six hours on a bus or car for the day, then Le Havre is a port for Paris. But we will see Paris before or after a cruise beginning or ending in Southampton, England.

I had the original thought when I first looked at the map of Italy. Why is Civitavecchia the port for Rome? If you look at the map, it's at least 30 miles up the coast from the shortest distance between Rome and the coast. It seems like the port would be as close as possible, not only for cruise ships but the commercial port.

After arriving in port are the shuttle buses hard to get on to? I am planning to take the bus to the port entrance and then walk the 4-5 blocks to the train into rome.

No, they are usually there waiting for the cruise passengers. We were one of the first ones off the ship in the a.m. and caught the first shuttle out.

Geez, I kind of like it! It is very easy and inexpensive to get to Rome using the train, and the town itself is WAY better than some industrial port towns I have docked in.

Wouldn't even consider staying at the Hilton however, with so many great places right in Rome. Our hotel was 70 euros a night including full breakfast, which I bet was a lot cheaper than the Hilton. Plus we could walk out our door and be right in the historic part of the city.

What would you consider to be a good alternative port for today's big ships? Offhand I don't know of any place closer to the city that could handle the traffic. . .I guess the cruiselines have a problem when the main attractions, like Rome and Florence, are not located on the water. Venice is great though!

Could you give me the name of the hotel you stayed in. I booked one in the historic district and it is 280 euros.:eek: Thanks!!

a port is not a coastline location. the closest point to rome would not work, it has to be a suitable port for depth, currents, natural protections etc. also, rome is the best city for all cruise departures, not venice, barcelona, athens, or genoa. the train to and from the port is part of the adventure. i would not stay at the airport even if it was free!

While I feel your pain on getting to the port, we enjoyed our pre cruise stay in the town of Civitta... we had a pleasant time exploring the sleepy sea side town. The price was not bad once you found the right resources for arranging your transport from airport to port. we paid $100 euros for 4 adults and luggage. It was a transport arranged through our Hotel, the Hotel Traiano. A quiet, well kept small hotel. Quaint. But, with full service and air conditioning!

We had a 2 room family suite it was $140 euros a night. it had a small kitchenette and a washing machine! Perfect

Archived