why do ships use Civitavecchia (rome)

armstrong677

This port is hardly Rome, it is an absolute nightmare to get to and if you are using private transfers from the airport then it is also a fortune.

the port is not fit for purpose as a cruising port, you have to get a bus from the cruise gates to the cruise terminal and vice versa, my wife and I have both said that we wouldnt use this port again as a departure port.

Adding to this we stayed a pre night and post night in the hilton hotel at rome airport and have got to say that it was no more than a convenience hotel, we had to wait in line for 45mins until getting checked in and the server did not bat and eyelid when we complained, the prices for drinks and food are crazy, there is nothing for little ones to do.

just thought id post so others can add or have a think about it.

Thanks

Geez, I kind of like it! It is very easy and inexpensive to get to Rome using the train, and the town itself is WAY better than some industrial port towns I have docked in.

Wouldn't even consider staying at the Hilton however, with so many great places right in Rome. Our hotel was 70 euros a night including full breakfast, which I bet was a lot cheaper than the Hilton. Plus we could walk out our door and be right in the historic part of the city.

What would you consider to be a good alternative port for today's big ships? Offhand I don't know of any place closer to the city that could handle the traffic. . .I guess the cruiselines have a problem when the main attractions, like Rome and Florence, are not located on the water. Venice is great though!

I don't think there's an alternate choice of cruise terminals for Rome. We enjoyed departing from Civitavecchia. It gave us a chance to spend a few days pre-cruise in Rome and from there we took the train to the port. The shuttle bus service in the port is very good (we also used it on a port day on another cruise.)

I can certainly understand your dissatisfaction with staying at an airport hotel ... they are OK if you just need to spend the night, but with extra time, it would be much more interesting to be in Rome.

Rome is inland. It has always been inland. Civitavecchia was the main port of ancient Rome. Where would you suggest a ship dock instead?

The Hilton at the Airport was not designed nor run for children. I've stayed there when I've had a very early flight out of FCO (when I was still working and sometimes needed to take gawd-awfully early flights; now that I'm retired, I wouldn't dream of staying there). It is really designed for business people (many/most of which have high status in Hilton Honors and/or stay on the Club floors -- much shorter lines.

Hi, Armstrongs- it's just the way the cruise lines advertise things....there are lots of flights to Rome, but it's only when you stop and think that you realise that Rome's way inland. I'd never dream of taking a cruise from there.

Cruises are also advertised as going from London. Would you ever think of Southampton as London?- a different county, and 60 miles away. But it sounds good in the brochures!

Jo.

Perhaps a little research (e.g., a glance at a map) would have put it in perspective? Planes fly into Rome, ships leave from Civitavecchia. Unfortunately, you have to get from the airport to the ship. Some ports are more convenient (Barcelona); some are even less convenient (Livorno, St Petersburg). Civitavecchia is far from the only port that uses shuttle buses.

As to why ships sail from Rome -- I'd venture to guess it's because many, many cruisers want to spend extra time in Rome before or after their cruise. I often look specifically for cruises that start or end in Civitavecchia for that reason alone. Also, Rome's airport has many more flight options daily than, say, Venice or Pisa.

Also, is any airport hotel more than a convenience? Name me one, anywhere, that has a lot of ambiance? I would always vote to stay in Rome, not at the airport, unless my flight was leaving at 4 am! (And even then......;)).

I could tell you about the ambiance a hotel outside of JFK we got stuck at because our flight was canceled and we were booked to go the next day.

The local merchant had the most attractive bullet proof plexiglass between me and her!

A little research is a wondrous thing! (Reminding myself about that before I get foot and mouth disease)

We found it cheap and easy to get to Civitavecchia by train (thanks to plenty of research, mainly here.)

I could tell you about the ambiance a hotel outside of JFK we got stuck at because our flight was canceled and we were booked to go the next day.

The local merchant had the most attractive bullet proof plexiglass between me and her!

that gives no clue to which hotel you were at as such "decoration" is de rigor at the merchants in the area. :)

I've actually stayed in some very nice airport hotels .. mainly in Asia.

So, an FSA (FCAS?) who smokes or one who is hot or one who analyzes stats relating to smoking?

I would answer the OP's question with a very simple question. If you wanted to have a cruise ship base (embarkation port) in Europe where would you suggest? The reality is that there are only a limited number of ports that can handle large cruise ships and are within a reasonable distance to a major international airport. Barcelona is probably the best European port since it is convenient to both airport and city and it does have the docking facilities. But, when it comes to Italy, which is a good location to access much of the Med, there are few options. Livorno is a much worse port than Civitavecchia and the nearest airport has many limitations. France has few good port facilities in the south other then Marseille, and their airport has limitations and the port is too far from many popular destinations such as Kusadasi, Santorini, etc. Civitavecchia is actually a pretty decent port. It has lots of facilities, is very close to a major train line (within 4 blocks of the port entrance), has one of the largest European airports within an hour drive, and offers good access to Rome via train or road. There was a time when many cruise lines used Pireaus as a major embarkation port, but constant strikes and work slow-downs by the infamous Greek unions forced the cruise lines to look to other more reliable ports.

Hank

that gives no clue to which hotel you were at as such "decoration" is de rigor at the merchants in the area. :)

I've actually stayed in some very nice airport hotels .. mainly in Asia.

So, an FSA (FCAS?) who smokes or one who is hot or one who analyzes stats relating to smoking?

FCAS who used to enjoy cigars more than he should of but still enjoys them much more moderately. :)

We stayed at the Hilton airport our final night in Rome as we had a 6am flight...We did not check in until the evening, but our teens did use the pool and enjoyed the room service pizza. The rooms were comfortable and clean, so overall we were pleased with our stay (as good as an airport hotel can be, I suppose)

Rome is inland. It has always been inland. Civitavecchia was the main port of ancient Rome. Where would you suggest a ship dock instead?

The port of ancient Rome was actually Ostia. Now known as Ostia Antica it is now 3 miles inland due to silting and a drop in sea levels (global cooling?) It is right next to the airport so would have been handy if they had planes back then!;)

Cathycruisers, where did you stay for 70 euro per night?

Civitavecchia is what you make it. We sailed from there once. It was a nice, sunny day, and we were docked next to a beautiful "tall ship" of the Italian Navy (the Amerigo Vespucci, I think) as well as a more modern Italian Navy vessel. We met a charming Italian man who had lived in the USA for some years in the '60s and had a very interesting conversation.

We had a wonderful afternoon just in the few hours between embarkation and sailing. I wouldn't have missed it!

Lisa

hello all, I thank you for all of your responses, had quite a laugh at some, I have to say that when we departed from Barcelona it was a good experience and the same when setting off from fort lauderdale and Miami.

Just in our opinion traveling with a little one the distance from the port to the airport and Rome is too much, maybe another time.

Loving all the reasons to use this port though.

Thanks

The Armstrongs

The port of ancient Rome was actually Ostia. Now known as Ostia Antica it is now 3 miles inland due to silting and a drop in sea levels (global cooling?) It is right next to the airport so would have been handy if they had planes back then!;)

Cathycruisers, where did you stay for 70 euro per night?

At the Raffaello, between Termini and the Colosseum/Forum. Very happy with it for the money!! I would stay again in a heartbeat unless I hit the lottery and can afford the Del Senato!

Edited to add: but it was in January!!! Probably not the going rate at this time of year!

At the Raffaello, between Termini and the Colosseum/Forum. Very happy with it for the money!! I would stay again in a heartbeat unless I hit the lottery and can afford the Del Senato!

Edited to add: but it was in January!!! Probably not the going rate at this time of year!

I just booked 3 nights at the Hotel Raffaello for next May and the price is $165 Euros per night for that time of year. However the reviews on TripAdvisor are overwhelmingly positive so I hope I won't feel ripped off. :)

Well, in all fairness, May is WAY busier than January--and warmer!

Have you tried contacting the hotel directly? I did and got a better rate than I could find on line--I just asked for their very best rate for the time I was going to be there and was impressed with the results.

Archived