Best time for seeing the leaves

This question has been answered countless times. Do a search on the Canada Ports of Call section. Look at the pink section to the right of the blue bar near the top of the page.

The leaf changing times vary from place to place and from year to year. In Nova Scotia on the mainland, your best chance is around October 8 plus or minus. Cape Breton seems to peak a bit later towards the end of the second week of October. I don't know about quebec and New Brunswick, but if I were choosing a cruise is would aim for the second week in October. Just don't come back to me if we have an unusual year!

We will be travelling by train from NY to Toronto from 29th Sept, then Toronto to Vancouver by VIA rail's Canadian from 9th October.

I thought we might be too late to see any fall foliage on the latter train trip, but do you think we could be lucky?

We will be travelling by train from NY to Toronto from 29th Sept, then Toronto to Vancouver by VIA rail's Canadian from 9th October.

I thought we might be too late to see any fall foliage on the latter train trip, but do you think we could be lucky?

I think you may be lucky.

Here is a web site on Fall Foliage.

http://www.yankeefoliage.com/

Keith

Sadly, your best shot at seeing [interesting] fall colours in Ontario occurs from Toronto to Sudbury, which with The Canadian's 22h00 departure from Toronto means it will be dark / you'll be sleeping through it. Prior to last year, The Canadian used to leave in the morning :(

By the time you get to Sudbury Junction and traverse to Winnipeg, you are in the Taiga, or boreal forest. It is mostly coniferous (larch, fir, spruce, pine) with a few birch willow and alder trees thrown in. You'll mostly see yellows, and no oranges / reds like you would see in the mixed / broadleaf forests that are south. Sorry.

Since you have a few days in Toronto, you may wish to consider the Forks of the Credit or Hockley Valley (which are about 45 mins north west -- and coincidentally where I grew up) to do some leaf peeping, although it likely will be early at September's end. You might want to look into the Credit Valley Explorer --

or http://www.creditvalleyexplorer.com/

Scott.

Sadly, your best shot at seeing [interesting] fall colours in Ontario occurs from Toronto to Sudbury, which with The Canadian's 22h00 departure from Toronto means it will be dark / you'll be sleeping through it. Prior to last year, The Canadian used to leave in the morning :(

By the time you get to Sudbury Junction and traverse to Winnipeg, you are in the Taiga, or boreal forest. It is mostly coniferous (larch, fir, spruce, pine) with a few birch willow and alder trees thrown in. You'll mostly see yellows, and no oranges / reds like you would see in the mixed / broadleaf forests that are south. Sorry.

Since you have a few days in Toronto, you may wish to consider the Forks of the Credit or Hockley Valley (which are about 45 mins north west -- and coincidentally where I grew up) to do some leaf peeping, although it likely will be early at September's end. You might want to look into the Credit Valley Explorer --

or http://www.creditvalleyexplorer.com/

Scott.

Thanks Scott.

I feel better about booking VIA Canadian later than intended now, seeing we will be travelling in the night through the best colours.

That train trip reminds me of the enjoyable little train we took from Victoria.

As we'll be in Toronto for a week, we'll keep Forks of the Credit or Hockley Valley in mind, if the fall folliage season hasn't finished.

I'd actually like to rent a cottage on a lake somewhere for a few days (mental image, when I think of Canada), but it will depend on the weather.

I think you may be lucky.

Here is a web site on Fall Foliage.

http://www.yankeefoliage.com/

Keith

Thanks for the link. I was trying to decide between Oct2-9 and Oct 16-23 so that was helpful.

When cruising from Quebec City to Boston are you close enough to see any of the color while the ship is at sea or just when coming into port?

Thanks for the link. I was trying to decide between Oct2-9 and Oct 16-23 so that was helpful.

When cruising from Quebec City to Boston are you close enough to see any of the color while the ship is at sea or just when coming into port?

I am glad that the web site was helpful to you. I think it's a good site.

In general, the color that you will see will be when you are in port.

Keith

Which date did you chose and are you taking NCL Spirit? We are going to be on the Spirit Oct.2-9 and can not find a roll call for this. I tried to start one with no replies. Would love to have people to do excursions with but without a roll call its hard to do. :(

Which date did you chose and are you taking NCL Spirit? We are going to be on the Spirit Oct.2-9 and can not find a roll call for this. I tried to start one with no replies. Would love to have people to do excursions with but without a roll call its hard to do. :(

Cruise Luver - We are on the Spirit September 25 - October 9. Join us on our Roll Call. We are doing a Meet & Greet for the 1st leg of the trip, as well as the 2nd leg (those getting on at Quebec).

Annie & Les

Archived