transportation fco to hotel

deejae

I'm not sure exactly how much a taxi would be (we did not use any taxis in Europe), but have you considered taking the train into Rome? The Da Vinci Express is 14 euros per person and will take you directly from the airport to Roma Termini. It looks like your hotel would be a 6-7 block walk from the station. There are a lot of factors to determine if this would be a good idea for you: physical shape of you and fellow traveler, amount of luggage, time of day for your arrival, etc.

If you choose to look into a taxi, from what I remember I seem to think that 55 euros would have been about 10 euros too high, but this was for 2009 in the off season. I know prices have gone up (when we were there, the Da Vinci Express was 11 euros, not 14).

Hope this helps!

A cab will be 40 Euro (for up to four people in one cab), which is a set fare and includes luggage. You can read about the set fares on the City of Rome's web site here: http://www.comune.roma.it/was/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_21L?menuPage=/Area_di_navigazione/Sezioni_del_portale/Dipartimenti_e_altri_uffici/Dipartimento_mobilit-13-_e_trasporti/Trasporto_pubb-9-_non_di_linea/TAXI/Tariffa_fissa_da_e_per_aeroporti/Fixed_rates_from_and_to_the_airports/

Getting a cab at the airport is easy, there are lines with starters who assign passengers to cabs, so it's not a free-for-all.

I would go with the hotel transport. The fare sounds fine. Do not take a train or anything like that. You will likely be a little jet lagged.

See if they meet you at the baggage claim or if not where they meet you.

FCO can be a chaotic place particularly in the luggage claim area.

Enjoy!

Keith

I'm not sure I agree with Keith, but either will be fine.

A driver can't come into the baggage claim area, so the amount of chaos there (I don't find it that bad, but I fly in and out of New York airports, so maybe I'm inured?) is irrelevant.

After claiming your luggage, you exit through the customs area into the main hallway of the arrivals terminal. There are usually dozens of drivers there holding signs with names, like any major city airport.

So there is the stress/difficulty of trying to locate the driver holding the sign with your name, vs. walking a few more feet to the door with the taxi stand and waiting in line. Kind of six of one, half a dozen of the other, in my opinion, so do what feels most sensible to you.

The cost difference, at current exchange rates, is only about $19 (40 Euro x 1.25 = $50, vs. 55 Euro x .25 = $69)

FWIW it is a very easy slightly downhill walk from Termini to the Raffaello--I walked uphill with my backpack in the rain and I am not Ms Hiker.

But for 40 euros with luggage I second the taxi idea--28 euros for the train vs 40 for a private driver?? No brainer, and I am as frugal as they come!

Archived