Cruising during hurricane season?

What has your experience been? Do they switch itineraries- are the seas rougher than usual? It's hard not to be reeled in by the prices:)

Considering hurricane season is nearly half the year, probably half of cruisers cruise during hurricane season. Should a hurricane develop then the itinery may be changed if the hurricane is in the path of the ship

Live in SW FL and generally don't cruise during our peak hurricane period--July-August; things to remember, however: ships can generally navigate around major storms; two, cruise lines reserve the right to change itineraries at will; three, have travel/interruption insurance---it is a must.

until this past april we always cruised in September... compared with our last cruise, I didnt notice the seas any higher or anything... or course, it all depends on the season that particular year... we've always had great weather and never had to miss any ports... i say go for it :) and definitely get the insurance just in case

What has your experience been? Do they switch itineraries- are the seas rougher than usual? It's hard not to be reeled in by the prices:)

DH can NOT be swayed by the low prices to travel during peak hurricane season (which seems to be different times to different people if you read through the assorted threads) :rolleyes:

As for me, given the opportunity, id cruise ANY month! No Worries, I dont mind rough seas or a change in itinerary!

We usually cruise during hurricane season and have only had one itinerary change. The seas are the same as any other time of the year unless there is a tropical system present.

When we were on the Mariner in 2005 we were supposed to call in Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten, which ended up being changed to Nassau, At Sea, Labadee, At Sea, Cozumel, At Sea. It ended up being pretty cool having a day at sea every other day. We didn't find out about the change until we had already left Nassau so people were disappointed, but RC did their best to please everybody and that ended up being one of our best cruises to date.

Last year we went on the Liberty the first week of August and had the most amazing weather we've ever had on a cruise. You just never know.

I have done 4 cruises in September, getting ready to do my 5th. The weather is great in the Caribbean in September. I always buy cruise insurance just in case and we have had one change but it was a great change for us. We sailed out of Port Canaveral on the Mariner and then a hurricane hit the port while we were out at sea which prevented us from porting back at PC. We got an extra 2 days of cruising for free:D and ended up porting in Miami. All additional charges were covered between RC and my insurance. Even while the hurricane was out at sea we only saw a couple of hours of rain for one afternoon. Felt a little more motion but nothing that bothered anyone as far as I could tell.

Sailed on the Mariner two years ago when she was still on the East Coast, and a hurricane forced us to miss a port. Seas were very rough, and there was much rain. Most everybody took it in stride--safety first attitude. We felt very safe with Captain Johnny at the helm.

We have sailed a few times in September and on one trip our flight was cancelled and we had to fly into another city, the hotel was evacuated, the ship was delayed a day and we missed two ports other than that we had a great cruise.

We travel during all months of the year and really haven't had any problems. If the water gets rough, the important thing to remember is to take seasick measures before you start feeling bad. If you don't catch it in time, there;s not much you can do about it.

We once had a captain tell us that he would rather be on a ship and avoide a storm than to sit in his house in Orlando and ride out a hurricane. :rolleyes:

All but 1 of my cruises have been during hurricane season. We missed CoCo Cay once (just a "regular" storm caused waves too high for tendering.)

Don't recall a single day of rain on a ship. Capt will usually avoid stormy weather wherever possible. I don't even give it a 2nd thought.

As far as I'm concerned hurricane season lasts 365 days. The worst seas I experienced were never during the hurricane season. One March we hit a storm with gale force winds sailing from Nassau to Pt. Everglades. People were so frightened they ran out of their staterooms in their underwear and lifevests. The time we couldn't anchor and do Great Stirrup Cay was over Christmas. There is just no telling when the seas will act up. Fortunately hurricanse can be tracked and there's plenty of advance warning. But definately take the insurance. Besides cancelling, you'll be covered if your flights are cancelled on the way home and you need a place to sleep. I never want to have to sleep overnight in an airport. Fortunately, when my flights were cancelled in the winter on the way home from a cruise, my insurance covered the 2 nights I needed lodgings.

Archived