Westerdam vs. Oosterdam - is there a difference

tkq

We have cruised 3 times on Princess and never on HAL. We are looking to sail to Alaska next June and wonder if there are any differences between these ships and how they compare to Princess.

Also, does the pool on the Lido deck have a retractable roof? This may be a nice feature while cruising in cool Alaska.

They're essentially the same; only a really attentive cruiser would notice the differences. And both have the retractable roof over the Lido pool area. Having never sailed Princess, I can't help with that comparison.

I think the only differences between the Vista class ships is in the color of the decor. And where the Exploration Cafe and Library are located.

The only thing we don't like in the layout on the Oosterdm is the Explorations Cafe/ Library shares its location with the top floor Crows Nest, nor did I warm to the Oosterdam public area color schemes and decor. But liked almost the same ship in different colors and decor items on the Zuiderdam. Smal item really.

Don't know where the Explorations Cafe/Library is located on the Westerdam, but they left it where it "should" be on the Noordam.

Balcony rooms on all HAL ships have been very similar with only minor color differences and sizes. Cabins on all HAL ships have been wonderful. Staff has always been wonderful. Dining quality has a little variation from good to great.

It almost does come down to which color scheme appeals to you more. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the HAL board. both ships are nice. I have sailed Princess and for me, the HAL rooms are much nicer, the food is better, the service is excellent. You will see some little touches on HAL that you do not see on Princess - all of which make your cruise just a little more special.

I would take a look at the itinerary and time of the trip and choose based on that. enjoy your cruise :):)

We've sailed on both the Oosterdam and the Westerdam as well as the Golden Princess. We prefer HAL to Princess but there's nothing I can definitively say is the "reason". Both lines had good service, nice cabins, etc. My husband uses a scooter for mobility purproses and you can't scooter the entire promenade on Golden Princess but you can on both HAL ships. HAL just "feels right" and we enjoyed both of the ships mentioned! Karen

I think the key differences next summer are: Westerdam has a Saturday departure and includes Hubbard Glacier versus Oosterdam has a Sunday departure and includes Glacier Bay. Otherwise, I agree the differences in the two sister ships are mainly related to decor.

Don't know where the Explorations Cafe/Library is located on the Westerdam, but they left it where it "should" be on the Noordam.
Both have it in the Crow's Nest. One difference between them is that the Oosterdam has a Screening Room for movies where the Westerdam has a Merabella Luxury shop.

I would choose based on the itinerary.

Also, does the pool on the Lido deck have a retractable roof?

The only HAL ship without a retractable roof over the Lido pool is the Prinsendam.

Considering some of the itineraries it does, a covered pool would come in handy! :eek:

Have sailed on both ships.

The Explorations Cafe / Internet / Library is on the starboard side of both ships -- located in the Crow's Nest.

The Westerdam does not have the Screning Room. Movies are shown sometimes in the Queen's Lounge -- but most times in the Half Moon Room.

Archived