really confused

sunshine&shiningstar

i really confused i'm booked on the marianer of the sea for the med cruise in june & i have google rome and civitavecchia trying to get to know places to stay the day before & i'm not sure about the day after. We get into port at 5am do we have to deenbark at that time or is it like like around 8or 9 in the morning? do they call sections or you just leave when ready? any help with this would make my life a little easier thankyou.

:confused:

Probably it will be the same on your ship as it is on others:

You do not have to disembark that early.

Often the first option to disembark is something called "self-disembarkation" or similiar around maybe 7 or 7.30 for those guests who want to leave early. They need to carry all their luggage themselves.

For general disembarkation passengers are called groupwise, often by colour code, starting around 8 am or later.

For specific information about your ship you might post the question on the cruise line's forum.

Everyone should be off the ship by 10:00 or so. It'll be an incredibly hectic last morning. Remember also that Civitavecchia is a long way from Rome. Make sure you have a way to get to/from Rome either by train or private car.

i really confused i'm booked on the marianer of the sea for the med cruise in june & i have google rome and civitavecchia trying to get to know places to stay the day before & i'm not sure about the day after. We get into port at 5am do we have to deenbark at that time or is it like like around 8or 9 in the morning? do they call sections or you just leave when ready? any help with this would make my life a little easier thankyou.

The order of the disembarkation will be based on your travel arrangements. Those with the earliest flights will disembark the ship first. Disembarkation will probably begin around 7:30 AM but the precise time can vary.

The port is around a 90 minute drive to Rome and about a 45 minute drive to the airport.

If you plan to spend a few days there then it would be nice to spend the time in Rome.

Keith

Just off med cruise in Venice on another cruiseline. Ours was an overnight meaning no possibility of late arrival in port, ship already cleared, etc. Disembarkation "could" begin at 4am; everyone had to be out of stateroom NLT 8am and off the ship by 10am. Only those with very late afternoon flights that had bought ship's transfers to the AP were allowed to stay onboard and they were confined to one of the bars and off the ship by 2pm.

Which cruise are you taking? My family and I leave out of civitavecchia on June 16th. Are you on this one?

You have LOTS of time to make these plans. For hotel suggestions visit Tripadvisor. Look at their list of hotels for Rome and also the forums (like the CC Boards) and you'll get lots of information. Venere.com has good hotel descriptions, good maps showing the locations, and lots of reviews by past users of the hotels.

The cheapest way to transfer to or from Rome to Civi. is to take the train to/from Termini, the central station in Rome. It's cheap but with luggage it can be difficult. If the train is on the platform that is right next to the station you will have to use many stairs both up and down to go under the tracks to reach the correct platform, and with luggage that can be tricky.

The much easier way to do this, but much more expensive, is to hire a car. The trip to/from central Rome to the port is about 135-150 euros, PER CAR, not per person. So, if you can find someone to share the ride with this may not be a bad option. Check on the roll call boards on CC for your sailing and see if others will be interested in sharing the ride -- you all have to get there somehow! A hired driver will pick you up at the ship, take care of your luggage, and take you right to your hotel. A lot of people use RomeCabs, but there are lots of good companies who do this service. Just be sure the company you hire has a permit to ENTER THE DOCK AREA at Civitavecchia so they can meet you at the ship. It is a huge port andthey must have a pass issued by the port authority to enter. If they cannot enter you will have to take your luggage onto a shuttle bus which will then deposit you at the entrance to the port, which means shlepping the bags needlessly and waiting until the bus is full before it departs. They don't let you walk in the port for safety reasons. It's a big industrial area.

A lot of hotels, like the airlines, do not book more than 330 days out, so you may have to wait a bit longer to actually book.

great thank you so much i saw that you have to load on a bus but i was thinking why :rolleyes: but that make sence, i might be arriving by my self so i think i might get a taxi to the hotel in rome then having him come back the next day for all of us. i like the ideal of being drop by the ship.:cool:

We are staying at A View of Rome pre cruise, which is the #1 choice on Tripadvisor. We will return Nov 12, so if you are interested, I will let you know what it was like. It is near the Vatican, which is where we will spend one day, and metro to the other part of town the next day. Not central as some recommend, but it sounded right for us and the price was not bad either;).

great thank you so much i saw that you have to load on a bus but i was thinking why :rolleyes: but that make sence, i might be arriving by my self so i think i might get a taxi to the hotel in rome then having him come back the next day for all of us. i like the ideal of being drop by the ship.:cool:

I was a bit confused about your plans, but now that I looked on RCCL's website I see that your cruise both departs and arrives at Civitavecchia. Now it all makes sense! You can get a standard Rome taxi into the city from the airport. It's a flat rate of either 40 or 45 euros, plus 1 euro per bag. I do not believe a regular city taxi will take you all the way to the port the next day. For that you need to arrange for the driver. Go on Google and look up "Ron in Rome". It's a website by an American living in room and he will virtually "walk you through" every step of arriving in Rome, plus there's a wealth of other information on the site.

Since you will only be in Rome one night pre-cruise, unless you are planning on spending your day at the Vatican I strongly recommend that you stay in a more central position, closer to the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona area. One of the true joys of Rome is simply wandering the streets, especially in the evening, when all the Romans are doing the same, and the Vatican area can get pretty dead. You'll need to make the most of your short time in Rome.

Relax and just focus on one thing at a time.

If you don't have your flights figured out yet, I strongly suggest you spend more than 1 day in Rome either before or after your cruise. There is more to see there than in just about any other city you'll visit and you can't do it all in a day (or two partial days). I agree that you should plan to stay in the historic center of Rome. If you do that, you can walk to most all of the sites if you are in fair shape.

Do some reading here on Cruise Critic and you'll start to figure things out. Look at one port at a time and start making notes on what interests you and what you might want to do. Join your roll call and see what others are planning. You might be able to join a private tour that someone else has set up.

Thank you cruisemom42, I'm pretty good shape and looking at flights frrom sa tx it looks like i would get in about 3:57pm i might stay after the cruise but i'm not quite sure.

pvmkyer, thank you i' was thinking the same being a female and alone but i will check out that guy i really have no intreset in the vatican or the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona area. i just want to enjoy the local people and relax.:D

Archived