salmon in Alaska

floridafolks

Does anyone know when you can see salmon in the creeks? Specifically, I was wondering about Ship's Creek in Anchorage and the salmon ladder in Ketchikan.(places we pass on our walking tours) On our last trip to Alaska we were too early in the season. This time we are going end of August and I wonder if we will be too late.

Does anyone know when you can see salmon in the creeks? Specifically, I was wondering about Ship's Creek in Anchorage and the salmon ladder in Ketchikan.(places we pass on our walking tours) On our last trip to Alaska we were too early in the season. This time we are going end of August and I wonder if we will be too late.

The silvers should be running in August so you'll still be able to see them in Ship's Creek. If not there and you have a car you can head down to Bird's Creek on the Seward Highway. About 35 miles or so south of town.

We were in Ketchikan early September last year and you should of seen all the salmon in Fish Creek right there in downtown. Not sure when the run starts there though.

Susan in Anchorage :)

You will likely see some. In Skagway, just walk over by the Creek, there is very good access, and closest to the Broadway and RR docks. In Ketchikan, just walk to Creek St. If you want to see the ladder, just go up Park. Juneau has the hatchery with a plexiglass salmon ladder. You can take the city bus for a direct stop. Pick up is on Franklin, down from the Red Dog, across the street, at the bus shelter.

The time of salmon runs vary by species, spawning river, height of water in the river and even river temperatures. But yes most creeks and rivers will or should have runs in them in August and the salmon will be visable to the eye however sometimes you do have to study the water to make them out.

Archived