Xmas & New Year QM2

cruzadict

We are thinking of booking the QM2 out of NY for this Xmas and New Year. We did the holiday cruise in 2008 and had a fantastic time and I am a little afraid that perhaps the atmosphere on board and decorations were a "one off" and this year it will not come close. We sailed on Silver Whisper for 2009 Xmas holidays and there was no atmosphere whatsoever - it could have been any cruise. Did anyone so the Xmas and New Year cruise last year and if so how did they enjoy it?

We are thinking of booking the QM2 out of NY for this Xmas and New Year. We did the holiday cruise in 2008 and had a fantastic time and I am a little afraid that perhaps the atmosphere on board and decorations were a "one off" and this year it will not come close. We sailed on Silver Whisper for 2009 Xmas holidays and there was no atmosphere whatsoever - it could have been any cruise. Did anyone so the Xmas and New Year cruise last year and if so how did they enjoy it?

Hello,

There are several threads on the subject... here are 3 good examples:

Christmas Menus

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1110762&highlight=christmas+decorations

Review of the 2009 Christmas Cruise

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1114710&highlight=christmas+decorations

About decorations and some events onboard

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1027798&highlight=christmas+decorations

Hope this helps.

Well I'm on that cruise this year and, trust me, we're having a christmas party atmosphere! :D

Even if you have to produce it in the laboratory :eek::eek:

I can see it now - Dr Mad's Spray On Christmas (all your festive atmosphere sorted good!).

Maybe you could get Sir Martin to market it for you. Could be a big seller.

J

I was aboard for the Christimas 2009 voyage. Lots of decorations, carol singing in the Grand Lobby, lots of gingerbread displays. There was no doubt it was Christmas.

We were on QM2 Dec 10 - 20 2009.

The decorations were wonderful!

Trees, garland... Some people even brought things in to decorate their cabin door! Would have never thought of that.

Hope to see them again in Jan 2011.

(Not sure when they come down after Christmas).

Some people even brought things in to decorate their cabin door! Would have never thought of that.

The door decoration thing isn't restricted to Christmas. This was Queen Victoria in June 2008. :D

J

043_cabin_door_6_deck.jpg

The door decoration thing isn't restricted to Christmas. This was Queen Victoria in June 2008. :D

J

043_cabin_door_6_deck.jpg

Is that kind of display permitted? :confused:

Once I passed a cabin door where apparently the occupants were celebrating a wedding anniversary as they had covered their entire cabin door with a photo display of their life together and numerous balloons. I briefly wondered what the effect would be if a pin made contact with the balloons in the dead of night:eek: Anyway, the display was gone when I passed it the following day. I have no idea how displays like that are attached without marring the door, but it's not something I'd attempt.:)

Salacia

P.S. I don't recall seeing any "peep holes" on QM2 as is shown on your QV photo. If that's the case, I wonder why QV has them and QM2 doesn't?

Is that kind of display permitted? :confused:

Once I passed a cabin door where apparently the occupants were celebrating a wedding anniversary as they had covered their entire cabin door with a photo display of their life together and numerous balloons. I briefly wondered what the effect would be if a pin made contact with the balloons in the dead of night:eek: Anyway, the display was gone when I passed it the following day. I have no idea how displays like that are attached without marring the door, but it's not something I'd attempt.:)

Salacia

P.S. I don't recall seeing any "peep holes" on QM2 as is shown on your QV photo. If that's the case, I wonder why QV has them and QM2 doesn't?

Well, that door was on our corridor and I passed it several times during the cruise and the decoration were always there. Blutac would hold them on without any adverse effects on the door.

The peep holes are a feature of all the cabin doors on QV (and no doubt on QE as well). Different ship totally from QM2, built in a different yard in a different country, at a different time, and to a totally different design concept (cue Savoia!).

J

Cruisadict....We were on board in 08...09..and are booked for 2010 because it was an amazing way to spend the holidays. Decorations were beautiful and the staff is also in the holiday mode. Great way to spend NYE.....a designated driver at the Helm. :)

Well, that door was on our corridor and I passed it several times during the cruise and the decoration were always there. Blutac would hold them on without any adverse effects on the door.

The peep holes are a feature of all the cabin doors on QV (and no doubt on QE as well). Different ship totally from QM2, built in a different yard in a different country, at a different time, and to a totally different design concept (cue Savoia!).

J

Whatever else can be said about that type of display, it appears to be adverse to the USA Department of State "tips for travelling abroad":

"As much as possible, avoid luggage tags, dress and behavior that may draw attention to yourself." -copied from http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html#terrorism

(Although cabin door decorations are not specifically mentioned, IMHO, that's something that draws attention.)

Salacia

Whatever else can be said about that type of display, it appears to be adverse to the USA Department of State "tips for travelling abroad":

"As much as possible, avoid luggage tags, dress and behavior that may draw attention to yourself." -copied from http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html#terrorism

(Although cabin door decorations are not specifically mentioned, IMHO, that's something that draws attention.)

Salacia

Well, I guess as long as they didn't take the door with them when they went ashore, they would probably be ok :D:D:D

I found it easy enough to spot all the other Americans on the ship - there was a clue in their accents.

J

Well, I guess as long as they didn't take the door with them when they went ashore, they would probably be ok :D:D:D

I found it easy enough to spot all the other Americans on the ship - there was a clue in their accents.

J

LOL Oh darn! I was hoping to take my cabin door ashore in the Caribbean to use as a raft! Thought would also make a niffty surboard tied to the back of the tender. :D

(But seriously, you made a very good point.)

Salacia

Cruzadict have a wonderful Christmas onboard the QM2 and enjoy every moment. My wife is Welsh (Bridgend/Llangeinor) and we always celebrate Christmas to the full. Decorations in your cabin, on your doors, why not only the most cold hearted party pooper would object.

Happy Holidays...Jesus what does that mean...MERRY CHRISTMAS

Christmas onboard sounds wonderful!

It's good to know that there is a way to attach decorations to the cabin door without marring the surface (thanks J for that info) and that there is objection to doing so.

Christmas onboard sounds wonderful!

It's good to know that there is a way to attach decorations to the cabin door without marring the surface (thanks J for that info) and that there is objection to doing so.

CORRECTION (I'm sorry, just noticed my error.)

Should read "...and that there is no objection to doing so.

Salacia:o

Archived