Any specific islands concern for safety with kids?

mom2two2

Hi everyone

DH and I have cruised 2x before (once 10 years ago and then again last Jan) and love it. This coming Jan we have a cruise booked and are taking DD (11) and DS (8) with us.

Beyond the obvious (not walking alone at night, valuables concealed, keep the kids with you, aware of surroundings etc) are there any ports that you have experienced or would be leery of with children, from a safety standpoint? DH and I love excursions like ruins in the jungle etc but want to be a little more cautious with the kids along.

We sail from San Juan and visit Aruba, Curacao, St Thomas and Dominica.

Any thoughts/experiences are appreciated.

mom2two2

I don't think you'll have any problems in any of those ports....you don't have to be paranoid...you're more likely to have something bad happen with 10 miles of your home, than on a trip!

If you're on an excursion, there is "strength in numbers"...I probably wouldn't just take off for the "jungle" on my own...you'll be fine in a guided group!

Yes, we figured the same thing. We like to get out and "see" the ports we visit, I can sit in a cafe or shop at home so I would love to see more when on vacation and think the kids need to see other countries/cultures as well. I was not really "worried" but since we have never been to any of these places before figured I would ask in case there was some "nooooo do not go to XYZ with kids!" information that I was oblivious to....lol

Thank you

mom2two2

You need to be very careful in all of the ports. I would have a discussion with the children before you go about the importance of listening to you and your husband and staying close to you at all times. Remember while there are lots of "good" people there all it takes is one or two "bad" ones. And yes, some of these areas have problems just like so many other places around the world including the USA.

Keith

Archived