Oceania Air Experience?

twopats

We are trying to decide whether to take the Oceania "free air" or pay the extra $700 to do our own flights for our 3/28/11 cruise on the Marina. Is Oceania air usually reasonably direct, or do they put you on flights that have long waits at different airports? Basically coming from Barcelona to San Francisco could be easy by using British Air to Heathroe and then direct to SF so if anyone has any experience when they used the Oceania air, we would really appreciate knowing how they handled it. Many thanks. Trish

We are trying to decide whether to take the Oceania "free air" or pay the extra $700 to do our own flights for our 3/28/11 cruise on the Marina. Is Oceania air usually reasonably direct, or do they put you on flights that have long waits at different airports? Basically coming from Barcelona to San Francisco could be easy by using British Air to Heathroe and then direct to SF so if anyone has any experience when they used the Oceania air, we would really appreciate knowing how they handled it. Many thanks. Trish

Any advice, or discussion of previous experiences, would only be anecdotal, because everything changes in the travel world so rapidly.

Like any business, Oceania tries to get you from point A to point B in a way that is most economical for them. If you've looked at the travel section of your local newspaper recently, then you know that that route can change from minute to minute.

If you want control over your routing, you may opt to pay what Oceania calls a Deviation Fee ($100 per guest) which will allow you to pick the flights that suit you best. If you're planning on leaving for the cruise early, or staying abroad for a few days at the end of your cruise, you will be paying this fee anyway.

Oceania will then compare the cost of the flights that you have chosen versus the flights that they would have put you on. If your flights are more expensive, then you may be asked to pay the difference, but in either case, you will know how long you are laying over.

I agree completely with JimandStan. The $100 deviation fee is more than worth the security of choosing your flights. Unless you choose an itinerary that is significantly more expensive you should not have to pay extra.

I agree completely with JimandStan. The $100 deviation fee is more than worth the security of choosing your flights. Unless you choose an itinerary that is significantly more expensive you should not have to pay extra.

I too agree with the other posters. We just did a deviation to get non stop flights of our choosing (not necessarily with a particular airline) for Bos-SFO, MIA/BOS. I is imperative that we fly on certain dates due to work constraints. There was no added fee except the $100 p/p deviation fee. You get 48 hours to accept or decline. We always booked our own but the air credits are way too low now.:(

Jim/Stan..sure do wish we were doing the deviation for getting in a day early. Deb

If it were only $100, we would jump at it in a minute but Oceania wants $700. That is what I am trying to figure out...whether it would be worth that and what I would like to know is the experience others have had with Oceania and their "free" air. Trish

If you find the flights too expensive, turn them down and request another.

We have done this in the past. Once we got three offers before we were happy. We have never paid extra. One time we ended up getting the flights for no charge that on an earlier option they wanted $400/person extra. Just keep trying until you get something you can live with.

We have always used Oceania air and have been pleased with it.

Mo

The Oceania Air Program is free if you fly from "Oceania Cruises’ Primary Air Gateway Cities" and you accept their routing and times. Air transport can be arranged from other cities for an additional charge of $199 per person for economy tickets. If you wish to select a particular airline, routing and dates, you will have to pay the Deviation Fee of $100 per person plus any difference in the cost to Oceania for your chosen flights.

As an example, a couple flying from a small airport in California who wanted to pick the airline or dates would pay 2 x $199 plus 2 x $200 for a total of $598.

We have used Oceania Air on 2 of our 3 cruises on Regatta and gladly paid the $598 for the convenience of going early on our preferred airline and will do the same next year on Marina.

Don

Don, you are correct in the gateway charge. We tried to fly out of Detroit as it is simpler than Toronto, but we would have had to pay the extra $398, so didn't. We just pay the regular deviation fee, suck it up and fly from Toronto.

Detroit used to always be considerably less expensive that Toronto but in the last year, that doesn't seem to be the case. They must have instituted some new taxes as it is now a few hundred more on flights to Europe.:(

We are in London so ideally situated to fly from either airport. Much prefer Detroit when the price is right.

Mo

Don, you are correct in the gateway charge. We tried to fly out of Detroit as it is simpler than Toronto, but we would have had to pay the extra $398, so didn't. We just pay the regular deviation fee, suck it up and fly from Toronto.

Detroit used to always be considerably less expensive that Toronto but in the last year, that doesn't seem to be the case. They must have instituted some new taxes as it is now a few hundred more on flights to Europe.:(

We are in London so ideally situated to fly from either airport. Much prefer Detroit when the price is right.

Mo

Flying to Florida is still a heck of a lot cheaper out of Detroit. I was going to use my Air Miles to fly out of Toronto last year, but the taxes were almost as high as the full price from Detroit. :eek:

A fellow Londoner :)

If you want certainty over routings, connection times, etc. then I'm afraid you only have two choices - pay the deviation fees once you've selected optimum routings yourself or take the credit and do it yourself.

Previously I always found it better to take the credit and do the air myself but with their changes to the amount of the credits this may no longer be the case financially.

Only you can know the value of the routing you decide upon - to me it's worth extra for direct flights, minimum connections and no red eye flights - you likely have different preferences.

If it were only $100, we would jump at it in a minute but Oceania wants $700. That is what I am trying to figure out...whether it would be worth that and what I would like to know is the experience others have had with Oceania and their "free" air. Trish

We just used Oceania's air deviation ($100 per person) -- it worked out so well -- we got non-stop flights from Miami to Rio and from BA to Miami for only $100 more per person than O's "free air" allowance. Check that out before making any arrangements. (We are flying over the end of year holidays so the fare was more than it would have been earlier in the year) I couldn't get a flight with 2 stops for less than this was. Good luck. Arlene ;)

We are using O's "free air" for our upcoming Scandinavian Splendors cruise in September. We just received our flight info, and are flying nonstop from O'Hare to Stockholm, and returning from Heathrow to O'Hare with one stop in Minneapolis. Overall, we are quite pleased with these flights especially since we did not use air-deviation, and purchasing the tickets on our own would have cost us considerably more even with the air allowance.

For most people, the "big picture" is this:

Oceania will try to route you as economically as they can, but they do have an eye to getting you there comfortably.

If you can live with that amount of information before you commit, then Oceania Air is a good option for you.

If you need to control the situation more closely, then either pay the air deviation fee ($100 per passenger) and choose your own flights, or book "cruise only" and make your air arrangements privately.

For most people, the "big picture" is this:

Oceania will try to route you as economically as they can, but they do have an eye to getting you there comfortably.

If you can live with that amount of information before you commit, then Oceania Air is a good option for you.

If you need to control the situation more closely, then either pay the air deviation fee ($100 per passenger) and choose your own flights, or book "cruise only" and make your air arrangements privately.

That information is very helpful and you are very fortunate in what Oceania booked for you. I am still awaiting my TA's efforts to get the flights for only a $100 deviation fee instead of the $700 quoted for our first choices. Trish

That information is very helpful and you are very fortunate in what Oceania booked for you. I am still awaiting my TA's efforts to get the flights for only a $100 deviation fee instead of the $700 quoted for our first choices. Trish

I don't understand why you need to wait for anyone to do anything.

Once you've committed to paying the deviation fee, you may choose the exact flights that you would like.

I have cruised Oceania 8 times. The cruise is great,actually the best.But the air is another story.They will book you on flights where they get the best deal.So yes there will be un necessary waits in airports.But if you pay air deviation prices,they will work with you to book any flight you want

Tanny18, we are contemplating Rio - B.A. Feb. 19th. Which airline are you using ? We used Copaair last year from Mia to Rio one way.

We have miles for AA to upgrade, but last year they were very high compared to Copaair. We live in Palmaire, Pompano.

Is there any benefit to booking Oceania Air instead of air on your own, besides getting to pick your flights, if the price is close to equal. Since Oceania gets you to a port the day of the cruise (without air deviation), do they take any responsibility if you miss the cruise?

Per O's FAQ:

"In making these arrangements, Oceania Cruises acts only as an agent to the guest(s') behalf, and does not operate, control, or supervise any airlines and will not be responsible for carriers failing to meet schedules whether or not air tickets by Oceania Cruises. "

So in other words - no.

Since Oceania gets you to a port the day of the cruise (without air deviation), do they take any responsibility if you miss the cruise?

Tanny18, we are contemplating Rio - B.A. Feb. 19th. Which airline are you using ? We used Copaair last year from Mia to Rio one way.

We have miles for AA to upgrade, but last year they were very high compared to Copaair. We live in Palmaire, Pompano.

Hi, We are using AA round trip non stop from Miami...great flights. I'd get the air deviation from Oceania and upgrade....How was CopaAir? Arlene;)

Thank you Tanny. With a deviate I could upgrade using AA miles, I presume.

Copaair involved a change in Panama City. A satisfactory line. We flew business class which was nothing special, but adequate. The last row has seats with limited recline. But the HUGE price difference between AA was an incentive. I was sure that there was a quote error !!!

I knew a Tanny family in Montreal !!!

With a deviate I could upgrade using AA miles, I presume.

You'd better check with AA if all classes of airfare are upgradeable with miles. Chances are that the fare you'll get with the cruiseline will not be a full fare - it will be discounted.

• 2 months later...

Glad to see that some people have had luck with the Oceania air deviation program. So far I have had no luck with this program. I spoke to a supervisor yesterday and they are not letting us pick our itinerary even with paying the fee. My experience with them so far has not been a positive one, but I am hoping that this improves. I originally asked to come back one day later, and they told me "no". No reason, no excuse, just "no". I priced the tix and there is no difference in price for the ticket they want to give me from one day to another, so I have to assume that this has something to do with their getting a group rate, because there are seats on both flights. They also would not guarantee the itinerary that they are offering me. I am sort at a loss as to what to do at this point, since I don't want to pay a fee and then end up with a terrible itinerary. I may just book my own air. My parents used their air program two years ago and had a totally different experience. They got the flights they wanted and did not pay any fee.

I also recently booked a trip on Azamara and that is a whole different experience, since they use Choice Air and let you pick your own flights through a website. I really want to love Oceania, and I am hoping this all works out in the end.

I spoke to a supervisor yesterday and they are not letting us pick our itinerary even with paying the fee.

Do you have a TA?

If so let them deal with the air deviation

How close is your cruise that may be the problem usually you can choose the dates pre or post cruise (within reason) starting 270 days out.

For our upcoming cruise we asked our TA what flights O would give us flying in a day early

They came back with the exact flights I would have picked so we paid the deviation fee ...no problem.

The last time we used O air program we gave the dates we want to fly into /out of the ports with a specific airline ...they gave us flights for an extra charge of $100 plus the deviation fee.

It suited us so we accepted

Hope you can work it out.

Lyn

Archived