Rome night tour

Alistair

We are exploring possibly doing a night tour of Rome. We've heard the ancient sites and Vatican are are beautifully lighted. Has anyone done this? Is there a company anyone can recommend that gives this tour?

Thanks!

We did that in November with RomeCabs. It was beautiful and the driver was very knowledgeable. We also used RomeCabs for all our transfers that trip and when we returned to Rome for 2 weeks in the Spring.

If you're looking to stroll, Rick Steves' guidebook has an excellent evening walk that takes you by some of the prettiest sites, including Piazza Navona and Trevi Fountain. It's very safe to walk in Rome at night in the historic center. I have done it many times on my own.

There are also groups like Context Rome that offer an evening walking tour. But it's easy (and free) to do on your own, that way you can linger wherever you like, grab a glass of wine or even a meal, then get back to your stroll.

We enjoyed the Night Walk Across Rome from RS's Rome guidebook that Cynthia mentions (as well as a few of his other walks).

The night walk starts at Campo de' Fiori and ends at the Spanish Steps & covers 1 mile. You can lengthen it by including his Trastevere walk first, but we found that the Trastevere & Jewish Ghetto walks made for a nice morning walk.

We'll be in Rome just overnight before we board our ship, can you give me some idea of the price of the Rome by Night tour please. I looked on the Rome Cabs website but couldn't find a night tour listed

We'll be in Rome just overnight before we board our ship, can you give me some idea of the price of the Rome by Night tour please. I looked on the Rome Cabs website but couldn't find a night tour listed

It was 120 euros for our group of 6 in November 2009. We found 2 other couples on this board that were also spending time in Rome after the cruise.

We considered doing the Rome at Night tour again in April 2010, but the price was still 120 euros for just the 2 of us. So we just used RomeCabs for our airport transfers.

• 3 weeks later...

We also did the Rick Steve's night tour. I just photocopied the tour from a library book. It was nice to do it at our own pace and we did venture off a little once or twice when something caught our eye.

Easy, safe and left extra money for more gellato because it was free!

Archived