Seabourn dress code

Martita B.

On one line - that we actually like very much -- elegant casual proved in some cruisers' minds to be golf shirts, untucked, in the main dining room. I did not like that the line allowed the definition of Elegant Casual to fall to that level. Those thus attired should have been sent back to change - as I think they would be on Seabourn, no?

Men look so universally wonderful in formal attire & we so love them in it! If I got that sort of applause I'd dress in whatever manner it took to keep it coming!

Susan ,

Tell hubby to save the tux for future longer cruises where there are likely to be black tie nights( that is until Seabourn change the policy again!!!)

Which ship are you on in Oct out of Rome? We will be on two BTB cruises on the Legend -- the second one starts on Oct 2 in Rome.

& have your beloved show up on the semi-formal night in his tuxedo. He won't be alone & he'll look FABULOUS!

Don't let him get discouraged & refuse to do BT in the future. As noted - men always look wonderful in formal attire --- if only they could see themselves as WE WOMEN see them!

how much men LOVE to wear Black Tie. But, it is almost exclusively from women. I hate BT ... I hate TIES! Why is it OK for women to abandon stockings, bras, and girdles ... but men are still wearing the same crap that they wore in the 30's? TRUST ME ... men do NOT like BT (as earlier said ... TIES as well) ... they love their women and will tell them anything! Any male defense of this will be chalked up to a gun being held to your head while you are typing! ;)

how much men LOVE to wear Black Tie. But, it is almost exclusively from women. I hate BT ... I hate TIES! Why is it OK for women to abandon stockings, bras, and girdles ... but men are still wearing the same crap that they wore in the 30's? TRUST ME ... men do NOT like BT (as earlier said ... TIES as well) ... they love their women and will tell them anything! Any male defense of this will be chalked up to a gun being held to your head while you are typing! ;)

I don't like seeing these women that have abandoned the bras...the girls are flyin' all over the place :-) Personally, that isn't a good look for someone endowed such as myself lol.

As for being comfortable, it's funny, every board seems to have this discussion. Some people don't understand why people feel uncomfortable in formal wear. Personally, I find it fun to dress up but not comfortable to me in the least, as pantyhose aren't comfortable to me :-)

But yes, we women like to see our men dressed up, so... it will forever be a battle. Have fun on the Pride!

Sorry. I have to throw the BS flag on this one. You say we hate to dress up and if we disagree we have a gun held to our head? You are being pretty presumptuous to speak for all men and then to discredit any who disagree with you. You certainly don't speak for me. Some people were just raised differently. I started wearing ties every day when I was 13. I still wear a tie every day to work (when I work) and it doesn't bother me.

Sure some people hate wearing ties or jackets, but some people don't. That's why there are usually options on most cruise lines.

I enjoy wearing a tux for the proper occasion. I also enjoy seeing my wife dressed in a beautiful evening gown. What I don't enjoy is hauling all the luggage for formal wear in places like Venice, where there is no easy way to get up and down the stairs on the bridges with lots of luggage.

I think the key for the cruise lines is to determine which itineraries support formal wear and which ones don't. If the itinerary is port intensive with only a day or two at sea, then formal dinners don't make sense to me. However, if you are doing a transatlantic crossing, it might be nice to "relive the bygone era" by dressing for dinner.

Sorry. I have to throw the BS flag on this one. You say we hate to dress up and if we disagree we have a gun held to our head? You are being pretty presumptuous to speak for all men and then to discredit any who disagree with you. You certainly don't speak for me. Some people were just raised differently. I started wearing ties every day when I was 13. I still wear a tie every day to work (when I work) and it doesn't bother me.

Sure some people hate wearing ties or jackets, but some people don't. That's why there are usually options on most cruise lines.

I enjoy wearing a tux for the proper occasion. I also enjoy seeing my wife dressed in a beautiful evening gown. What I don't enjoy is hauling all the luggage for formal wear in places like Venice, where there is no easy way to get up and down the stairs on the bridges with lots of luggage.

I think the key for the cruise lines is to determine which itineraries support formal wear and which ones don't. If the itinerary is port intensive with only a day or two at sea, then formal dinners don't make sense to me. However, if you are doing a transatlantic crossing, it might be nice to "relive the bygone era" by dressing for dinner.

Agree,

The people who complain that their clothes are not comfortable should change their tailor.Well fitting clothes should always be comfortable.

My point was that it is the women that are all hot about the clothing ... for the most part. Vacation, in my opinion, is a time to kick back and relax, not spend hours trying to impress others with our sense of style. I offer up that the bygone days had the travelers wearing tunics with no under garments ... I'll vote for that. :o

And, come on! Look where I am from! We have always spoken for everyone. That has always been our major problem!

Ps. I own 5 tuxes and one of the few that owns the official Patten leather dancing shoes that match. I have a white dinner jacket and a Burberry print tux jacket ... ALL of them were custom ordered and are quite comfortable. I plan on bringing one on the cruise I will be taking in 2 days ... and I will wear it ... at my wife's request.

Regarding enforcement of dress codes - one evening on our recent cruise on Sojourn I mistakenly told my DH it was casual (he relies on me to look it up!) so he appeared in the dining room in shirt and pullover. The lovely Maitre'd was embarrassed to have to say that he needed a jacket, but he did say it, and DH immediately rushed off to put his jacket on. It was entirely my fault, but does show that they do enforce the rules - and quite right too.

We will be on the Spirit. The world is changing. We were at Gilt in the NYC Palace Hotel this Saturday. We were dressed in our finest though not a tux for my husband. Several tables away was a man in a white tee shirt. I would say you do not get much fancier than this Michelin two star in NY. Seabourn is just adapting to the changing demographics.

... but men are still wearing the same crap that they wore in the 30's?

Same crap? Not me, my nappies ( diapers US?) no longer fit .

And as for dressing up, I love it. Although I do have problems with dress size nowadays as I have "matured" with age and also some of my bits appear to have moved south.

Perhaps it's a British thing - dressing up that is.:)

We will be on the Spirit. The world is changing. We were at Gilt in the NYC Palace Hotel this Saturday. We were dressed in our finest though not a tux for my husband. Several tables away was a man in a white tee shirt. I would say you do not get much fancier than this Michelin two star in NY. Seabourn is just adapting to the changing demographics.

Personally hope the Seabourn never adapts to poor taste. Sounds like you were appropriatey dresssed. The man in the t-shirt was definitely in poor taste. We live in "country music usa" and go to many black tie functions with the music community. They have different taste but their different is often very elegant, if a little off the wall in my conservative older view....but it makes for an interesting evening, conversation and it's what makes the world go around.

... but men are still wearing the same crap that they wore in the 30's?

Same crap? Not me, my nappies ( diapers US?) no longer fit .

And as for dressing up, I love it. Although I do have problems with dress size nowadays as I have "matured" with age and also some of my bits appear to have moved south.

Perhaps it's a British thing - dressing up that is.:)

Nope, DH had a sartorial splendid shoppe for years. Different occupation nowdays ...... and still loves to put his finest on. (We're ) both saddened that they have taken away formal nights on seven night cruises.

Has anyone noticed if any gents are still opting for tux's in the Mediterranean this year despite the elimination? We need to start deciding what to pack for our 2 week back-to-back in September.

MM

One reason I love watching the TV series "Mad Men" is the way everyone took a pride in the way they dressed. Here's a picture taken in the 60's of me at some affair, oh how I loved dressing up! And this is from a California Beach Girl. Oops sorry showing my age.

Having said that, I must admit flying into far away airports and lugging our bags filled with formal clothes can be a pain.

sc0125f57e_3.jpg.0146a4a5b980993b6ddf7945ccbd781a.jpg

One reason I love watching the TV series "Mad Men" is the way everyone took a pride in the way they dressed. Here's a picture taken in the 60's of me at some affair' date=' oh how I loved dressing up! And this is from a California Beach Girl. Oops sorry showing my age.

Having said that, I must admit flying into far away airports and lugging our bags filled with formal clothes can be a pain.[/quote']

I'm with you! That's the reason I watch this series, the authenticity is fabulous. Saw the new one last night. I think we are same age and both into wine! We "Southerners" have always dressed and will continue except like you...hate the lugging the luggage. When we aren't on Seabourn and are traveling for one to three weeks, we go with one carry on. I can belong to both worlds but my mother would roll over in her grave!

Those sartorially splendidly dressed characters in Mad Men also drank and smoked from the moment they opened their eyes. If we follow their lead this thread will next evolve into yet another tirade on smoking.

Those sartorially splendidly dressed characters in Mad Men also drank and smoked from the moment they opened their eyes. If we follow their lead this thread will next evolve into yet another tirade on smoking.

I think we have been there done that, but hopefully history has made us wiser. I was in the Ad world for a while...mostly watched, did not participate...but it not an unrealistic portrayal.

I'm with you! That's the reason I watch this series, the authenticity is fabulous. Saw the new one last night. I think we are same age and both into wine! We "Southerners" have always dressed and will continue except like you...hate the lugging the luggage. When we aren't on Seabourn and are traveling for one to three weeks, we go with one carry on. I can belong to both worlds but my mother would roll over in her grave!

Not to go OT but there was a little leap in time last night on the season premier with clothing and hairstyles being updated. Can't wait to see where they will go this year.

As someone that spent most of my working & volunteer years being involved with special events I had so many fun times dressing in my "Ginger Rodgers" gowns and while I wouldn't trade those times for anything, my DH's back is not as good as it use to be (please when you see him don't mention I said that) so hauling around heavy or multiple suit cases and complying with security regulations is a whole new world. I still love planning my wardrobe around our vacations, I just limit my accessories to items that can be used several times and not just for one evening's outfit. The shoes & undergarments alone that I use to pack for formal evenings took up nearly one piece of luggage. Please no comments that I probably over packed, I'm someone that always takes extras just in case of an accident, you know what I mean a ripped hem, wine spill or heaven forbid the dress makes me look fat:eek: the night of the formal dinner.

Redhead Nancy I will think of you next Sunday as I'm watching Mad Men and reminiscing.

Shirley

Not to go OT but there was a little leap in time last night on the season premier with clothing and hairstyles being updated. Can't wait to see where they will go this year.

As someone that spent most of my working & volunteer years being involved with special events I had so many fun times dressing in my "Ginger Rodgers" gowns and while I wouldn't trade those times for anything' date=' my DH's back is not as good as it use to be (please when you see him don't mention I said that) so hauling around heavy or multiple suit cases and complying with security regulations is a whole new world. I still love planning my wardrobe around our vacations, I just limit my accessories to items that can be used several times and not just for one evening's outfit. The shoes & undergarments alone that I use to pack for formal evenings took up nearly one piece of luggage. Please no comments that I probably over packed, I'm someone that always takes extras just in case of an accident, you know what I mean a ripped hem, wine spill or heaven forbid the dress makes me look fat:eek: the night of the formal dinner.

Redhead Nancy I will think of you next Sunday as I'm watching Mad Men and reminiscing.

Shirley[/quote']

we could definitely get off topic on this one. My email is: nancy@arnettonline.net if you want to continue. The email above could have been written by me...I identify so. My husband has bad feet...but you can't say a word either because in his mind he can still do anything he did at 50 (roll eyes)!!!!

we could definitely get off topic on this one. My email is: nancy@arnettonline.net if you want to continue. The email above could have been written by me...I identify so. My husband has bad feet...but you can't say a word either because in his mind he can still do anything he did at 50 (roll eyes)!!!!

I sent you a Mad Men link via email so we don't get in trouble for going OT.

• 3 weeks later...

We are on Odyssey 10-30-10 for a seven day cruise. Last time I checked under already booked, the itinerary stated 0 optional formal attire nights. Today I checked and it showed 1 optional formal attire nights. This confirms what Dan stated.

Al

It is amazing. It depends who you talk to at Seabourn. I was told there were no formal evenings on a 7 day cruise. I was then told a jacket is required every night in the dining room. I have taken quite a few Seabourn cruises and the first night has always been casual, without a jacket. So how many jackets should I pack for 7 days?

Archived