Let talk about the restaurant reservation policy

caribbeansun

Do you like or dislike O's current restaurant reservation policy?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like or dislike O's current restaurant reservation policy?

• Yes, I like it
    • No, I don't like it
    • I can never make up my mind

Just to be picky - this isn't a blog.

I know, which I tried to provide an answer to.

I'd actually have much less of an issue with that.

Other than a message board defined by cruise critic, what would you call it?

website that allows users to reflect, share opinions, and discuss various topics in the form of an online journal while readers may comment on posts. en.wiktionary.org/wiki/blog

You started the poll to get everyone's opinion. You have received them. Members have explained it, I have given my opinion and others have done the same. I have said this in another post, not that it pertains to you, but some people would be unhappy if you hung them with a new rope. If you don't like the policy, find another cruise line that fits your lifestyle.

Oceania can not please everyone, all of the time.

This Board is not intended to be argumentive. Don't ask even you don't want to hear.

... My objection was how it was handled on board.

I think that perception was what surprised people the most, because it is such variance with the way many of us were treated.

When the restaurant staff goes roaming through the ship and offers a table to the first people they encounter, there can hardly be any preference shown.

I would chalk it up to a bad day for the maitre 'd or whoever you encountered. Considering that they wake up with the same aches and pains as the rest of us, I think it's remarkable that they present such a cheerful attitude almost all the time, and I tend to ignore the occasional slips.

For example,on one of our visits to Toscana, we encountered a young, obviously nervous waiter who informed us he had just that day been promoted "upstairs" from the main dining room to the specialty dining room (which is an honor). He was obviously very anxious to please and impress his boss. Then, he got our order wrong. Twice. And forgot our dessert. With the maitre 'd watching.

Instead of being upset, we were actually impressed by his efforts. We assured the maitre 'd that we OK with him, and to reinforce that, the next time we dined in Toscana, we specifically requested him. This time, the nervousness was gone, the service was perfect, and the reasons why he had been promoted were very apparent.

Fair enough Don.

Your experience was decidedly different than my own. I might suggest that rather than a bad day, I think this was a different approach by the one particular maitre 'd as it was the same routine each day - I asked about additional reservations 4-5 times (can't remember exactly how many but suffice to say it was on a number of occasions).

We had a similar situation as you had with your waiter - we were using the cabana where an obviously new waiter left our meals on the deck because he couldn't find the cabana. We phoned down after about an hour wondering where our lunch was - well, it seemed like everyone came by to apologize - we thought it was actually quite funny and it got a bit embarrassing after the fourth person apologized. Geez, it was just a late lunch after all.

SO, if I may summarize, the reason the "check the room number" routine stood out was that it was so at odds with the rest of our experience - that's no doubt why it stuck and left that lingering nagging feeling I've referred to.

I think that perception was what surprised people the most, because it is such variance with the way many of us were treated.

When the restaurant staff goes roaming through the ship and offers a table to the first people they encounter, there can hardly be any preference shown.

I would chalk it up to a bad day for the maitre 'd or whoever you encountered. Considering that they wake up with the same aches and pains as the rest of us, I think it's remarkable that they present such a cheerful attitude almost all the time, and I tend to ignore the occasional slips.

For example,on one of our visits to Toscana, we encountered a young, obviously nervous waiter who informed us he had just that day been promoted "upstairs" from the main dining room to the specialty dining room (which is an honor). He was obviously very anxious to please and impress his boss. Then, he got our order wrong. Twice. And forgot our dessert. With the maitre 'd watching.

Instead of being upset, we were actually impressed by his efforts. We assured the maitre 'd that we OK with him, and to reinforce that, the next time we dined in Toscana, we specifically requested him. This time, the nervousness was gone, the service was perfect, and the reasons why he had been promoted were very apparent.

I'm sorry but message boards aka web forums are not blogs - please read your own quoted definition again.

I don't believe that I've been argumentative other than perhaps pointing out your mistake in classifying this as a blog which I tried to do in a non-threatening way. I've tried to express a point of view, a feeling or discomfort I had. I was curious to know if others had the same impression as me. It appears that what others have experienced isn't the same as I have for reasons I can't quite understand.

I have no issue with people expressing a dissenting view - those that have the need to put others down as a means to making their own point are the ones I take issue with.

Responses telling people to go elsewhere are pointless and add nothing to the discussion. If everyone agreed on everything the world would be a very dull place. Telling people to go elsewhere because they don't agree with you is frankly rather childish.

website that allows users to reflect, share opinions, and discuss various topics in the form of an online journal while readers may comment on posts. en.wiktionary.org/wiki/blog

You started the poll to get everyone's opinion. You have received them. Members have explained it, I have given my opinion and others have done the same. I have said this in another post, not that it pertains to you, but some people would be unhappy if you hung them with a new rope. If you don't like the policy, find another cruise line that fits your lifestyle.

This Board is not intended to be argumentive. Don't ask even you don't want to hear.

Responses telling people to go elsewhere are pointless and add nothing to the discussion. If everyone agreed on everything the world would be a very dull place. Telling people to go elsewhere because they don't agree with you is frankly rather childish.

What is childish is being picky about a message board, blog, whatever you want to call it. Cruise Critic is designed to provide information to other members who have or have not cruised on Oceania before. Other members have also suggested you do the same if not happy with this cruise line. Your other responses on other threads appear to be condescending as well. (look this word up too) If you cannot take the heat, close the thread. The majority of those polled like the current policy and they have explained why. What part of the 100 replies do you not understand. Your questions have been asked and answered many times. No one can predict what a cruise staff member is going to offer you on any given day as Don stated. As Stan and Jim said, Priority cabins have priority. If you feel the need to discuss this further, you can contact me at holmtwin@dc.rr.com.

I don't understand why any of you would be so invested in arguing about O's dining policy. One person's truth is just that; their truth, period. How about learning from each by listening rather than trying to be right about something that is so inconsequential given the life and times we are living in? The economy is in the tank. People are dying all over the world. How about a poll on what we can each do ourselves to make the world a better place and the people around us happier?

I don't understand why any of you would be so invested in arguing about O's dining policy. One person's truth is just that; their truth, period. How about learning from each by listening rather than trying to be right about something that is so inconsequential given the life and times we are living in? The economy is in the tank. People are dying all over the world. How about a poll on what we can each do ourselves to make the world a better place and the people around us happier?

Exactly, you can only beat a dead horse so many times. It is still dead. Actually, I remember the dining problem in Toscana you had on Oceania during the Amazon cruise. the staff was so concerned, you were invited to join the Chief Purser and the Head Chef for dinner. To me, that was customer service. Aloha, Vicky.

Exactly, you can only beat a dead horse so many times. It is still dead. Actually, I remember the dining problem in Toscana you had on Oceania during the Amazon cruise. the staff was so concerned, you were invited to join the Chief Purser and the Head Chef for dinner. To me, that was customer service. Aloha, Vicky.

Aloha Maria,

I had forgotten about that. Yes, the staff was definitely top notch and wanted my opinion. That was my first time on O, I was not in a suite, and they treated me wonderfully.

What I was remembering about the specialty restaurants on O was that you and George seemed to walk in anytime you wanted and got a table! As I recall, you ate in there at least 8 nights of the 24 night cruise! It seemed they had plenty of empty tables.

I hope you enjoy your cruise on Marina. I love exploring new ships and will sail on Marina one day.

Aloha, :)

Vicky

Aloha Maria,

I had forgotten about that. Yes, the staff was definitely top notch and wanted my opinion. That was my first time on O, I was not in a suite, and they treated me wonderfully.

What I was remembering about the specialty restaurants on O was that you and George seemed to walk in anytime you wanted and got a table! As I recall, you ate in there at least 8 nights of the 24 night cruise! It seemed they had plenty of empty tables.

I hope you enjoy your cruise on Marina. I love exploring new ships and will sail on Marina one day.

Aloha, :)

Vicky

You are right. We ate there quite a bit, but were denied on at least two ocassions for the early sitting at Polo, however I received a call later and we were in on one. They do try to accomodate and I always wore a smile. Looks like you have a lot of traveling ahead of you. Have fun on your adventures ahead.

You are right. We ate there quite a bit, but were denied on at least two ocassions for the early sitting at Polo, however I received a call later and we were in on one. They do try to accomodate and I always wore a smile. Looks like you have a lot of traveling ahead of you. Have fun on your adventures ahead.

Yes, they were definitely accommodating.

My favorite thing that O did was upgrade me month's before the cruise to a sunset verandah. I have to pay extra for that on Azamara and do now that I experienced it on O. I love being in the front of those small "R" Class ships!

Yes, I have a lot of cruises booked. I actually have 3 more booked than show on my signature but the CC system wouldn't take the additions!

with 16.8 that don't like the policy, do you really think O want you to tell folks to move on??? There is a big difference between discussing the policy which is what the poll started about and tell O's customers to move on are two differnt things.

with 16.8 that don't like the policy, do you really think O want you to tell folks to move on??? There is a big difference between discussing the policy which is what the poll started about and tell O's customers to move on are two differnt things.

I don't appear to be the only one who has made that statement in their reply. VickyN in the previous post does not like Oceania for her preferred cruise line carrier. She prefers Celebrity and Azmara as you can see from what she has reserved for future sailings. What would be your suggestion to the resolving the problem? If I don't like the policy of a cruise line for whatever reason, I book with someone else. So far, Oceania has held my interest since 2005. There is one thing to discuss the policy on the Thread and another for others to argue because they disagree with the answer. I responded to the OP feeling that they were made to feel as a "second class citizen". I felt that was a little harsh because that is not Oceania's way. What may disappoint me may not disappoint you but I respect your opinion if that works for you. Life is too short to get heated over dinner reservations and who gets more.

Re-reading this thread one thing jumped out at me. When we cruised Oceania in 2006 (and we now have two cruises coming up with them) we did try each specialty restaurant once, and they were very nice -- but we found that we just loved the Main Dining Room, and mostly stayed there (and the Terrace for breakfast most days). All the emphasis on the specialty dining room may make one forget that the MDR is "hardly chopped liver" as they say!

In other words, for those who haven't cruised Oceania, I would hate people to get the impression that unless it is Polo or Toscana, you will get crusts and water! This is obviously just our opinion, but we were quite happy in the MDR, and never felt deprived of the chance to enjoy great cuisine!

(We have one reservation for our cruise next week -- I really wanted a chance at a lobster dinner for my birthday, so it is Polo Grill on August 30! Happy Birthday to me! LOL)

On our last b2b we didn't even use all our reservations quota and rarely used the MDR. I confess to being a great fan of Tapas. O is so port intensive that we would often come back tired but elated by what we had just seen. We'd take a quick shower and head for the "fantail" (hope that is the correct nautical term for the back porch!). I love being able to try a tiny bit of several things; I didn't have to decide between entrees, I just had the guys give me a wee portion of several! By the third day I was welcomed with "What is Madam trying this evening" and we would discuss how it was prepared, what ingredients were used and then they would be interested in what I chose for "seconds" (and, I confess, a larger portion!) Salads, desserts...same thing. Some nights we would just have a salad plate and perhaps a glass of wine and we would salute the setting sun. We also didn't have to wait for service...just used our own 2 feet! Dining outside in the Med was a dream come true!! Please, though, don't tell other people about Tapas; y'all just go ahead with your speciality places and MDR!

I have simply gone to the maitre 'd station at the entrance to the terrace buffet during the morning hours and inquired about available times. I've always been flexible, frequently was willing to share a table, and always used my most winning smile when asking. That;s all it took. No bribes, no suites, no butlers, no priorities, no begging, and certainly never any arguments. I didn't get a reservation every time I asked, but I asked frequently enough that I got the opportunities.

Flexibility, willingness to share a table and a smile; Don has summarized our experience on our three Oceania cruises perfectly. We never have had a problem getting another Polo or Toscana reservation at some point during our cruise, but we also never have asked for more than one more visit each because the GDR food is excellent as well. :)

Flexibility, willingness to share a table and a smile; Don has summarized our experience on our three Oceania cruises perfectly. We never have had a problem getting another Polo or Toscana reservation at some point during our cruise, but we also never have asked for more than one more visit each because the GDR food is excellent as well. :)

:D((Sigh)) Why Can't there be more lovely people like you?? :rolleyes:

On our last b2b we didn't even use all our reservations quota and rarely used the MDR. I confess to being a great fan of Tapas. O is so port intensive that we would often come back tired but elated by what we had just seen. We'd take a quick shower and head for the "fantail" (hope that is the correct nautical term for the back porch!). I love being able to try a tiny bit of several things; I didn't have to decide between entrees, I just had the guys give me a wee portion of several! By the third day I was welcomed with "What is Madam trying this evening" and we would discuss how it was prepared, what ingredients were used and then they would be interested in what I chose for "seconds" (and, I confess, a larger portion!) Salads, desserts...same thing. Some nights we would just have a salad plate and perhaps a glass of wine and we would salute the setting sun. We also didn't have to wait for service...just used our own 2 feet! Dining outside in the Med was a dream come true!! Please, though, don't tell other people about Tapas; y'all just go ahead with your speciality places and MDR!

We felt the same way about Tapas. I also love being able to try a tiny bit of several things and then going back for more of the items I liked best! :D

A Knitter, what I was trying to say originally, and obviously did a very poor job of it, was that I was glad I read the entire thread -- had I not -- I might have felt like "a second class citizen." I have never cruised, it was my first post, and I opened up a can of worms! I felt attacked until I saw how easily someone might have misunderstood my meaning. I have learned so much over the past 2 weeks from these boards, although I am still learning how to negotiate my way through them. I have spent 10+ years on Trip Adviser and these are unfamiliar, but I'm learning! I am looking forward to our cruise and promise to write a thorough review.

A Knitter, what I was trying to say originally, and obviously did a very poor job of it, was that I was glad I read the entire thread -- had I not -- I might have felt like "a second class citizen." I have never cruised, it was my first post, and I opened up a can of worms! I felt attacked until I saw how easily someone might have misunderstood my meaning. I have learned so much over the past 2 weeks from these boards, although I am still learning how to negotiate my way through them. I have spent 10+ years on Trip Adviser and these are unfamiliar, but I'm learning! I am looking forward to our cruise and promise to write a thorough review.

No hard feelings taken and as I stated previously my apologies if you thought you were attacked. Perhaps what prompts me to reply to some threads on this forum not blog as I stand to be corrected:), is we all come from different places, some are able to cruise many times throughout the year, others several times within 10 years. If I choose to secure a PH/Concierge Cabin that comes with a few perks, I shouldn't feel guilty that another passenger who isn't in one not receive an additional night in the specialty restaurant if both of us arrive at the same time to reserve a table and my cabin location trumps his/her. I love an argument just like the next person, but I don't have patience where one is attacked simply because of their cabin number. I am not a novice to cruising but being retired from civil service, I learned to adapt to rules and regulations constantly changing and just go with the flow. What is important is you enjoy your cruise, toast the rest of the forum your first night and report back upon your return. Perhaps we will meet on a future cruise. Now....... isn't Beaufort where they make the Blenheim ginger ale?

A toast it shall be -- now that's a promise I can keep! I am always amazed at how quickly things can spin out of control when one cannot see another's face. As much as I love this digital age, it has its drawbacks, doesn't it? I believe Blenheim ginger ale is made in Dillon, up near the SC/NC border, and I have never tasted it. Shame on me. Beaufort (actually over 60 separate islands) is between Charleston and Savannah and lovely, lovely, lovely!

can someone clarify?

concierge and up are entitled to two reservations at each specialty restaurant..so on new Marina with 4 specialty restaurants passenger would be entitled to 8 dinners if they choose?

Probably... but I have not seen any official word yet on how they will work on the Marina

Archived