Cell Phones and Internet

jell

We will be going to Bermuda on the Veendam and have two questions.

Do standard cell phones work both on the ship at all times and in Bermuda?

Also, can we access the internet from our stateroom?

Thank you in advance.

I believe that you can use your cell phone on a ship, but will have to pay somewhere around $8 a minute to do so. I never turned mine on ( a welcome breath of fresh air). Those who had my child and dogs knew how to get in touch with me.

The internet does work in your room if you have your own laptop or netbook.

The cost per minute is $0.75.

If you buy a 100 minute package it is $55.00

If you buy a 250 minute package it is $100.00.

There is a $3.95 one time activation fee.

The internet is not like wireless. It is pretty slow and sometimes does not work at all.

You may or may not get a usable wifi signal in your cabin depending on how close you are to one of the hallway antennas. (white cone in pic) If the signal is weak, propping your door open a couple of inches may help.

attachment.php?attachmentid=106854&d=1235329145

But we have used our cell when in port. It is my understanding that "ship to shore" is really expensive while you are underway, but once you are in port I have gotten (depending on your provider) a cell tower with our provider (Verizon), the cost was more for the roaming but nothing like while underway at sea. We have found that email is the easiest way to connect if you have to, but give it some thought, one of the nicest things about a cruise is the lack of daily interruptions (cells, phones, email). A quick fix at the internet bar on-board is ok, but being away from these electronic chains has appeal. I take my netbook to download pictures from my camera, but this next trip it stays home and an additional memory chip will take its place.

You may or may not get a usable wifi signal in your cabin depending on how close you are to one of the hallway antennas. (white cone in pic) If the signal is weak, propping your door open a couple of inches may help.

attachment.php?attachmentid=106854&d=1235329145

So that is what those things are........I wondered.

I believe that you can use your cell phone on a ship, but will have to pay somewhere around $8 a minute to do so.

Not quite that bad. Cellular-at-Sea cell phone charges are $2.49 per minute.

What is Magic Jack? Is it like Skype?:confused:

It is a similar system, you can google Magic Jack and look at the information. It is only for talking though, no pictures.

You attach a small 3x1 connection to a USB port and there you connect a lightweight auricular from a telephone.

When you purchase the Magic Jack (about $40) at Best Buy and a host of other places, you connect it to the computer and the set up is completed, after that you can use it for calls at low cost or no cost. Calls within the US and Canada are free, and from other countries into US (I believe Canada also) there is no cost, provided you have an internet connection.

In my experience, aboard ships, while in the ocean, I have been able to connect but there is no guarantee.

Thanks for the explanation. Very concise. I will have to look into that at some point for my next cruise...:)

You must not watch much TV. It seems that there is a Magic Jack commercial on about every three minutes. On TV, they advertise phone service for $19.95 per year.

It works through you computer's internet connection. So, on a cruise ship, you would have to buy the internet package to use it.

As far as cell phone service goes, be careful, even when docked in port. Since Cellular at Sea is not licensed as a common carrier in any country, the ship is SUPPOSED to turn it off when in port. However, there have been stories about people on the dock, 100 yards from the ship, unwittingly making a phone call through the ship's satellite link, rather than the on-shore phone company. When you turn your phone on, it should display the name of the company that owns the connection. If it is Cellular at Sea, turn you phone off until you get further away from the ship.

Check with your cellular carrier to find out if your phone will work in your ports of call, and how much it will cost. Each carrier has their own plans and prices. Chances are, your phone will work, but at what cost? Prices can even vary between different plans with the same carrier.

I have AT&T. A few years ago, on a Mexican Riviera cruise, I called them before I sailed. For $4.95 per month, I could enable an international roaming plan that would allow me to make calls from Mexico for about $0.50 per minute, or I could just enable a free plan that would cost $0.99 per minute. That's the one I chose, and I never used it.

Paul

Thanks, Paul, for the additional information. You are absolutely right. I do not watch much TV and when I do, I only watch TiVo, so I zip through the commercials!:)

I don't think that it can be said enough to watch your carrier lable on your phone. I was in Canada last week and I had "Roger's" listed on my AT&T phone. I called AT&T to inquire (when I was back in Seattle) and they told me that roaming and fees would be charged if I made or received calls or texts while in Canada.

Just an FYI. I would hate to come home from a great vacation to face a monster cell phone bill!:eek:

We have used MagicJack for many years and find it very reliable when cruising with HAL. Quite often when we arrive in port, we are able to access a free wireless connection from either a free WiFi site or an unsecured connection.

We have been able to sit with our laptop in the airport in Barbados and talk to our daughter to let her know we are boarding our on time flight to Toronto, talked to my 94 year old Mother-in-law on her birthday from the middle of the Caribbean, and chatted with my very nervous 8 year old granddaughter just before her first big dance solo.

It really payed off for us one year when our family (my parents, siblings, and our spouses - 16 in all) were cruising Alaska. My youngest sister's daughter was very seriously injured in a freak accident the day before we were leaving for our cruise. She was in hospital fighting to save her liver after having her spleen removed. The only way my sister and her husband were comfortable remaining on the cruise was because they had access to our MagicJack which allowed them (affordable) contact with their daughter and the hospital whenever they felt the need. Our niece was adamant she didn't need her folks at the hospital with her, but they were very nervous about her condition and felt having the phone contact available to them was the only thing that made them comfortable about joining the rest of us on our long awaited family cruise. By arranging set times to call my nephew-in-law, they were able to relax, enjoy the cruise, and feel confidant that they were updated and available to their daughter during her time of need at the same time. Once she turned the corner and was on her way to recovery, they were able to breath a sigh of relief and truly relax and enjoy their vacation.

We don't use it often when cruising- just for important (to us) events that are happening while we are unable to be there.

Also keep in mind that the MagicJack will not connect to the ship's computers - you need your own laptop. The ship doesn't allow you to connect apparatus to their equipment (for obvious reasons). Just a heads up.

It is free to call Canada and the US from anywhere in the world, so it is very economical. And with purchasing an internet package, it is actually quite reasonable to use for keeping in contact to the extent you may need.

It also has a voicemail component, so if something urgent comes up while you are gone, your number can be called, a message left, and it goes straight to your email as a voice message. It is a nice feature so others can contact you quickly and affordably if there is an emergency.

We quite like having it with us when we travel, and think it is a real asset for emergency contact. We highly recommend it for fellow cruisers, and with it are able to relax and enjoy our vacation. :)

Archived