Christian Cruisers

Interesting stuff here. I recall reading a compass from FOS from last year, and there was an interdenominational service on video offered in the Screening Room, but I don't think it was on a Sunday.

I'm a minister, and I sort of "had church" on my own, with a Bible on my iPhone and a deck chair pulled up to the rail early one morning. It was a sweet time.

I just didn't have the presence of mind to see if anyone had posted a card on the message board outside of the Promenade Cafe, nor did I have the presence of mind to do the same thing myself. Next time, perhaps. Out of close to 4000 passangers, I'd just bet there would be a few folks who might enjoy the fellowship and encouragement.

ETA: Langley Cruisers, I just noticed that you'd mentioned the video service, too.

ETA: Langley Cruisers, I just noticed that you'd mentioned the video service, too.

No prob. :)

Although there may not be what is known as a "formal" gathering for Christians onboard, I recall something my daughter said to me when we took our Liberty of the Seas cruise 3 years ago. In the middle of the Caribbean, thunderstorms are common every night and we had 'em. She said she never felt closer to God than in the center of that huge open ocean in the middle of the thunderstorm. His power and majesty are awesome. :)

On the Liberty, they had a non-denominational service that was a video (Joel Osteen I think). Of course, if you want to conduct a service, you can always post it on the bulletin board...check with the staff for a suitable location for the service.

My church is advertising a Bermuda cruise in June, 2011 on the Enchantment and has stated that the priest(s) will have Catholic Mass during the cruise.

One my first cruise in 97 there was a priest on board and I attended the Mass in one of the lounges.

Wish there was a Catholic priest on my Thanksgiving cruise! Anyone? Anyone?.....

I periodically check the board while I'm on the ship to see if by chance a Mass will be held. It is usually on the same board as the Friends of Dorothy, Bill, etc...meetings.

Dorothy

On the Liberty, they had a non-denominational service that was a video (Joel Osteen I think). Of course, if you want to conduct a service, you can always post it on the bulletin board...check with the staff for a suitable location for the service.

This was the case on our last two Liberty cruises... Joel Osteen videos.

Sorry, but this just doesn't cut the cake. I'd rather have RCCL offer a space for those who wish and let them lead their own informal service. I know there are dangers, but my guess is that it would be a neat experience.

I'd rather have RCCL offer a space for those who wish and let them lead their own informal service. I know there are dangers, but my guess is that it would be a neat experience.

Yes, there is a danger here, especially since we are to be aware of false teachers and test everything that is said against the Word of God. If something like this was allowed, no offense but there is the potential for things to go very wrong.

I'm sorry, but why would someone sit in their cabin to watch a video when they can witness the glory of God in each sunrise and sunset?

Faith is personal between the believer and the Lord. God has met with me in some powerful "alone" time, while listening to a song, going for a walk, reading the Bible or another book, watching a movie, etc. All that's required is an open heart and mind, and He moves in all kinds of different ways. Perhaps alone in a cabin for a few minutes watching a video is exactly where He wants His child at that moment. :)

Yes, there is a danger here, especially since we are to be aware of false teachers and test everything that is said against the Word of God. If something like this was allowed, no offense but there is the potential for things to go very wrong.

Ah, but there is also a great potential for good! One has to trust the Holy Spirit! We have met wonderful people at informal services. In this case the potential for good far exceeds the dangers of "false teachers."

Rev. Tim

How did it go. I am a minister as well and will be sailing on Radiance in November. Did you get any fresh info?

I doubt RCI did anything official since his cruise didn't include a Sunday. The last time I was on Radiance on a cruise that included a Sunday that wasn't a turn around day, they had a service that included a recorded message from one of the more well-known pastors, I forget which one.

Aren't we blessed to serve a God who is present with us everywhere and all the time? We are never without God.. We cruise in Oct on Liberty (yay) with our 2 teenaged kiddos.. I am looking forward to praying with my friends and family under the stars, seeing Gods beauty in nature, His wonder and power in in the mighty ocean and His love in the eyes of my husband and kids as we fully enjoy the blessings he has given us.. I hope you found a service on board and that you continue to seek Him first, always! Blessings~~

I would not like to see any cruiseline "sponsor" any particular religion. Each religion considers that they are the "one". We have enough trouble in the world as it is.

IMO if a group of cruisers wants to gather for their own event, then there are plenty of times that the lounges, card room, promenade rear deck, etc., are empty.

Archived