Question about a cabin up front

cricri7

Hi guys....I have been mostly hanging out in the Holland forum lately so I will be asking the question here. I am looking for a cruise on Celebrity, the Solstice ship leaving from Fort Lauderdale, where the cabin is located up front. It is on the front of the deck where there are no cabins on top of you..the deck is called Vista for those who have cruised on Celebrity...and where you are really on the front of the ship. What do you guys think about this sort of cabin? I wonder because the best cabins always go first so if they are left, is it because no one wants them?

I posted the question on the Celebrity forum but only got 1 answer. Maybe you guys would have other answers???

I looked for other cruises but everything is booked solid for August. I would love to leave after but I am a high school teacher so no specials for me:mad:

I will go back to Holland in February when I go on the Eurodam....;)

I think I posted the question but already knew the answer.....I never booked an oceanview before so it would be my first and am pretty sure that I will love being rocked to sleep by the ship...some say it has to do with our inner child...welll....I must have some unresolved issues:p:p

I will probably book this one if there are cabins left on Monday...wish me luck!

There are very few cabins in the entire HAL fleet that actually have a forward view. While the view can be spectacular, you must be aware that you will feel the most motion. And in the event of really rough weather, they may even cover your porthole with a deadlight for safety.

I for one, would like to experience a voyage in one, but it's not for everyone.

My daughter and I were in a far foward, lower deck, room on the Statendam in Alaska; we loved the rocking motion. As the beds were aligned with the ship's keel, we found most of the rocking was side to side like you'd expect, but we also experienced head to foot rocking too, occasionally.

What we found, well... not quite disturbing (to us), was the noises of the anchor being dropped as we pulled into ports along the way. Lots of electric motor whining noises for relatively short periods of time, but always quite early.

Happy cruising, and good luck!

Hi guys....I have been mostly hanging out in the Holland forum lately so I will be asking the question here. I am looking for a cruise on Celebrity, the Solstice ship leaving from Fort Lauderdale, where the cabin is located up front. It is on the front of the deck where there are no cabins on top of you..the deck is called Vista for those who have cruised on Celebrity...and where you are really on the front of the ship. What do you guys think about this sort of cabin? I wonder because the best cabins always go first so if they are left, is it because no one wants them?

I posted the question on the Celebrity forum but only got 1 answer. Maybe you guys would have other answers???

I looked for other cruises but everything is booked solid for August. I would love to leave after but I am a high school teacher so no specials for me:mad:

I will go back to Holland in February when I go on the Eurodam....;)

I think the first question you should ask of yourself BEFORE booking this type of stateroom is, "How much motion sickness do I get?" The second is, "Will motion sickness aids help me?"

If you do not suffer from motion sickness and or you think the aids will help you, by all means go for it!!!!!

I understand your time frame limitations, I ave a dear neighbor who is a Middle School teacher and we are trying to get her on a cruise and in a stateroom she can afford. I even volunteered her a bed in our stateroom(s) but the time does not work for her... Maybe in 2012...

Joanie

I am cruising on the Liberty next April and I was given a PT room on the Rivera deck...(deck 1). That is the bottom of the boat. Is this a good or bad thing? First time cruising since 1982 on HAL.

Sorry if I am putting this in the wrong place..new to cruise critic and don't know where to ask a question.

Sorry if I am putting this in the wrong place..new to cruise critic and don't know where to ask a question.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You've found a wonderful place to learn about cruising, your line, ship, specific cruise, and lots of other things. But, as they say---right church, wrong pew.

You need to head over to the Carnival board (this is the Holland America board). Scroll back to the top of the page, and very near the top, on the left, notice the word "boards" in the orange banner. Or, slightly lower, the "organizational tree"---click on either of those, and you will see a page that lists many, many boards here. They are arranged by similar category. There's one for "Cruiselines A-O". Click on the word "Carnival", and you'll be in a better place to get the answer to your question.

...was the noises of the anchor being dropped as we pulled into ports along the way. Lots of electric motor whining noises for relatively short periods of time, but always quite early.
The anchor is only used at tender ports, not where you are at piers. Usually there is no more than one tender port on a cruise. What you heard was winches for the mooring lines, and/or some thruster noises.

• 4 weeks later...

LOVE IT the rocking motion and wind noise is lulling to say the least. have been on 10 cruises last one was only available cabin left #401 on the oosterdam so i booked it as i had no choice and was really surprised by the motion of the ship. the wind made it difficult to stay on the balcony to long but at night in bed the sound as if you were in a horrific storm actually lulled me to sleep. on all cruises in the future i would not hesitate to grab the foremost cabin available preferably the very first and would love to do a transatlantic ( NORTH CROSSING) in november to experience the action

Archived