IcelandAir experiences????

Scoobs9

We are flying to Copenhagen via Iceland (stopover option for a day to maybe see the volcano) with Icelandair in August. Has anyone done this recently? Any comments on Icelandair, Iceland, good or bad? We are flying from Toronto to catch the Star Princess out of Copenhagen. Thanks in advance for any and all comments!!!

On June 3 we flew Icelandaiar from Seattle to London - change of plane in Rekjavik. The only thing that was served free on both flights was coke, water, juice, coffee. There were no tiny packs of penuts or pretzels passed out. They did have two types of a "meal"- looked more like a snack -that you could buy for approximately $12. To me the meals did not look too apetizing. (Note to self: bring something to eat next time.) They do limit carry on bags to 13 pounds but you can check 2 bags pp. Check their web site for this info.

When we arrived in Rekjavik, we had to get in the line for continuing flights so that we could go through their xray secreeing again and then through 2 passport control desks. We had our passports stamped twice and then had to show the passport with the boarding pass again just before boarding. Even with checking both your passport and boarding pass, 4 people boarded our flight instead of the one they should have been on. A guy came up to my husband and said that he was to be sitting in that seat. I said no way as I had booked that seat back in June 09. The flight attendant checked the boarding passes and then discovered the other guy was on the wrong plane. The flight attendant didn't seem to be that concerned - just told him and the other 3 they needed to get off and go to the correct gate for their flights.

Even with these hassels, I'd probably fly Icelandair again if the timing/connections worked for me and the price was right.

We flew Icelandair in June to Reykjavik from Toronto.

Its far from my favourite airline but also far from being near the bottom. Would I fly with them again - probably.

Icelandair flies 757s with 3 by 3 seating. In economy there is not a lot of leg room but its only a 5 hour flight so you learn to put up with it. Try to put bags up in the overhead bin instead of under the seat in front of you as you'll want what little leg room there is.

Service was passable. We noticed that in Iceland, service is rather cool and so one shouldn't expect the North American fake sincerity. They are a rather quiet people. I give credit for the staff (on the flight out and return) for being efficient though. Again nothing to write home about but nothing to write a complaint letter either.

Food service is exactly as coo359a2 described it. In economy its pretty much snacks and semi-meals for sale with only non-alcoholic drinks free. Overall, it didn't bother me but it felt more like flying domestically within North America than flying internationally. Nothing is hot. The meals are all cold plates. The food was okay. If you're hungry enough as the night we flew out to Iceland you'd eat it. It actually was better tasting than it looked. :D

Free baggage is generous on the NA-Iceland run but I hear the restrictions are tighter on the runs over to the European continent.

At seat entertainment is fine. Each seat back has a TV screen with a choice of TV, movies and music. Beware that the headsets are for purchase but at least you get to keep them forever. Otherwise bring a good book to entertain yourself.

Overall, I would say Icelandair is modern, efficient and friendly enough. Its not stellar and the limited choice of food products - all for purchase - drag it down a bit but otherwise you get from point A to point B safely and without much problems. I believe we were ontime with both legs of our journey.

David

Thanks David for your detailed, recent experience. I have a very good picture in my mind now of what to expect. Could you check-in online in advance of your flight from Toronto?

Could you check-in online in advance of your flight from Toronto?

No. Unfortunately, they don't offer on-line check-in yet on any of their two Canadian destinations. You can go online and find your booking and select your seats at any time (if you don't have them assigned yet) but you'll have to do all the check-in procedures at the Toronto airport. We showed up early and had no problems whatsoever. It was a quick process.

I believe you can do on-line check-in in Europe but we didn't bother when we left Reykjavik.

One other thing to mention - Icelandair is proud of Iceland. You'll see Icelandic quotes and their English translations on the headrests of all seats and there is much info on the country on the at-seat entertainment system and the inflight magazine. The airplanes are all named after Icelandic volcanos.

David

Sorry to hear that Icelandair service has gone down hill since I last flew with them in January '07 ( Economy class, Boston-Reykjavik-Oslo and return).

We were served a better-than-average dinner between Boston and Reykjavik and nice breakfast before Oslo. Cabin service was excellent, but it helped that the flights were only 1/2 to 2/3 full in January

Bob

• 1 month later...

The flight from Boston to Barcelona right now is $435 for my trip next August. Return flights aren't out yet. SwissAir is close to $600. When AerLingus flights come out, they will be around $570. For four people, flying Icelandair would save me around $600 for my family each way. The problem is the 10 hour layover in Iceland. Is there anything my family could do, figuring that we could use 4-5 hours to be on the safe side to tour in Iceland? I have to figure out if this is all worth it with a flight arriving in Barcelona late Tuesday night.

The flight from Boston to Barcelona right now is $435 for my trip next August. Return flights aren't out yet. SwissAir is close to $600. When AerLingus flights come out, they will be around $570. For four people, flying Icelandair would save me around $600 for my family each way. The problem is the 10 hour layover in Iceland. Is there anything my family could do, figuring that we could use 4-5 hours to be on the safe side to tour in Iceland? I have to figure out if this is all worth it with a flight arriving in Barcelona late Tuesday night.

The Blue Lagoon makes for a very nice stopover place. Lots of people do it between flights.

http://www.bluelagoon.com/Bath/default.aspx

The Blue Lagoon makes for a very nice stopover place. Lots of people do it between flights.

http://www.bluelagoon.com/Bath/default.aspx

Thanks, that is great. Last year, we had an accidental 23-hour layover in Dublin. I may have never gone to Ireland and had a great day. It's a year off. But this looks like something that I can already look forward to (along with saving a lot of money using Icelandair).

I would also say that you should consider it.

The Blue Lagoon is very popular or you can ride the flybus into Reykjavik and visit the city centre from there. Lots of interesting places to visit, shop or eat. How many people do you know that can say "I've been in Reykjavik?" :)

If you are aware of the 757 seating and don't have a problem with pay-as-you-go for food in economy then Icelandair is a cheap, clean and efficient way to get from one point to another.

I have to admit, I broke down and rebooked Icelandair for 2011 to get us from here to Amsterdam to connect with our westbound transatlantic that we booked. Swiss was the second lowest price in economy but it took a change of two planes and a full day rather than a 2 hour layover in Reykjavik with Icelandair. So Ljberkow, I totally understand the cost savings which really matter when a family is involved.

With just the two of us and with the difference in price from the next airline for the 2011 trip we took the plunge and decided to do something we never paid for before - Business Class. :eek: Its hard to say no when one way Business Class with Icelandair was not all that much more than most airline's one way economy fares. I know Icelandair so I know what I am getting myself into.

I feel good about the decision to book Icelandair and also look forward to the Blue Lagoon. The savings is around $730. We'll have already eaten dinner before the flight leaves. We can get an early breakfast when we arrive in Iceland.

I wish I could take it on the way back and save some more. It just doesn't work out. It will be Aer Lingus on Barcelona back to Boston. Their prices are decent, but not quite in the Icelandair ballpark.

Archived