Port shuttles in Mediterranean

No mention of this by RCL but there is a significant cost for transfers from the ship to the port gates or town centres at some of the European stops. I have read that one family of four spent $200 in total to use these. Now I know there is a thread for dumb questions heard on cruises and perhaps this might qualify for said but does anyone know if RCl actually charge you for this service in Livorno when you have booked one of their own excursions to Florence ??

No mention of this by RCL but there is a significant cost for transfers from the ship to the port gates or town centres at some of the European stops. I have read that one family of four spent $200 in total to use these. Now I know there is a thread for dumb questions heard on cruises and perhaps this might qualify for said but does anyone know if RCl actually charge you for this service in Livorno when you have booked one of their own excursions to Florence ??

If you booked an RCI excursion they will take care of transportation to/from Livorno and Florence. What may happen is that a junior tour guide will come with the bus to pick you up, and the lead tour guide will meet you in Florence, but you will have ship-to-ship service.

There are various levels of guided excursions provided by RCI but I don't know of any that require you to meet them in city center. In some ports they have an 'on your own' excursion, but even that takes you from the ship to the center of the city and then picks you up a few hours later to take you back.

Thanks for the extra quick reply. I half guessed that was the case but the more I'm re-searching & organising my itinerary, the more unforeseen costs are rearing their very ugly heads !! They even charge for a shuttle to take you from the port gates to the ship for embarkation in Barcelona!!

£££££££££$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!

It is never REQUIRED that you use Royal Caribbean's transportation options. In Athens, the RCCL bus from Piraeus, where the ship docks, to downtown Athens was $45, I think. The metro was about $2. Guess which I took. In Dubrovnik, on the other hand, I did take the $5 RCCL shuttle into town, so that I could figure out where the heck I was going, and then walked back to the ship at the end of the day.

It's also not required that you do the RCCL excursions, although the one I did was very well organized, and sometimes it's the easiest way to get somewhere. Do your research, check out the Roll Call boards here on Cruise Critic for recommendations and for people to share excursions which. Some people end up spending more money than necessary because they didn't plan ahead, but it sounds like you're doing your homework!

We did the 12-day Mediterranean/Greek Isles cruise on the BR, and it was by far the most expensive cruise we'd ever been on. Of course, this was also when the US$ was the weakest against the Euro.

That said, it's also the most memorable, and we found every penny (or pence lol) worth it.

The biggest money saver for us was to plan so that for every few ports we'd only go all out with a strenuous (and usually more expensive) excursion at one of them. The others we'd either do on our own or something very low-key. Not only does it allow us to pace ourselves (required for a port-intensive itinerary), but it also has the side benefit of saving a few dollars (or quid lol).

Have a great time!

Some people end up spending more money than necessary because they didn't plan ahead, but it sounds like you're doing your homework!

Not me !!! I hate spending money that's why I'm on here !!! This site is fantastic for all sorts of reasons but the savings possible with a lot of research is considerable. As for doing my homework.... I never did when I was in school but into it big time now !! Thanks for your help & advice

Thanks for the extra quick reply. I half guessed that was the case but the more I'm re-searching & organising my itinerary, the more unforeseen costs are rearing their very ugly heads !! They even charge for a shuttle to take you from the port gates to the ship for embarkation in Barcelona!!

Someone has given you some duff info here, RCI may have charged for a shuttle into town but there are no 'port gates' as such, it is a long walk to where the ship docks from town and people do walk it!! There is a public bus which goes into the terminals and costs 2 euros one way, 3 for a return ticket ( we last used them in Jan this year). The bus drops you off at the end of the Las Ramblas . We have used this bus at least 8 times on embarkation days, port days you name it we have used it.

We never use RCI's transfer options in Barcelona now, we use the train from/to the airport combined with the port bus . It does help that we invested in those 4 wheel cases that you can just push along, no sore arms now:D;)

In May when we were on the Adventure we got a taxi from the hotel to the port and were dropped off at the port check in also after the cruise we just stood in line for a taxi to take us to the airport much cheaper than the RCCL transfers.

There was a charge of $8 in Livorno which I THINK was for all day (multiple trips). We bought it but then turned it back in because it was raining. They gave us a refund on it. They were not refunding those ship excursions booked to Florence/Pisa. Some unhappy campers there (lol).

Some ports have free transportation from the ship to the port entrance which can be a lengthy walk. Then you can get a HOHO bus, cab, whatever. Independent tours sometimes meet you outside the port terminal. Read reviews of your cruise because people will usually mention if there is bus service.

In Barcelona we have always taken the bus from the airport to our hotel on Las Ramblas which is 5 euros each. If you do the bus, keep a very sharp eye on your luggage/purses/briefcases at all times. A cab is around 45 euros from airport to our hotel. A cab is around 17 euros from our hotel to port. They don't expect a tip, just round-up to the nearest euro. It is cost effective to be on the side of the street that is headed to the port. Saves a more scenic drive for them to get headed the right direction.

Check out the port forums on cruise critic to get some good info on independent tours. You can save a bunch of bucks and, most likely, have a better tour.

Tucker in Texas

Not sure what you are seeing but we took a taxi right up to the terminal,there was no shuttle.

Hi again, not read through all your posts but realise now you are on the over night in Venice Brilliance itinerary, we have done that one, lovely. There will be a mask 'ball' the night you leave Venice.

Unless you are extremely unfit do not under any circumstance use RCI's water shuttle, cost $35 when we did the cruise 2 years ago and it only drops you off at St. Marks square. Needless to say I had done my homework before the cruise. If you are reasonably fit it is not a long walk from the dock to Piazzale Roma where the vaporettos are, if you go on to Google Live maps it's easy to see the distance . Once at the Piazzale Roma square buy a pass for the vaporettos which will take you to all the islands , Murano etc. We bought a one day pass ,it lasts for 24 hours from the first time you use it and you just hop on/hop off all day.

TIP- public loos are very expensive in Venice never mind a drink in St. Mark's sq!!

We got off the vaporetto at the island cemetery , it was lovely to walk around and low and behold there was a loo there which was free !!

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vaporetto_routes.htm

There is a public bus which goes into the terminals and costs 2 euros one way, 3 for a return ticket.

That's the very bus I'm talking about, except I was unaware that it was a public one and thought it might be provided by whichever cruise line was in port.

It is the port bus - here is the link - http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html

If you give us a list of your ports I'm sure the guys here will chip in as to how to DIY!! As someone said, no need to use any transfer, I think that Livorno is the only one you have to use as it is a large container port and you can't just wander around...

In Venice there is now the 'people mover', this runs from the port to Piazzale Roma and costs €1pp. From Piazzale Roma you are at the top of the Grand Canal so you can jump on a vaporetto (buy an all day pass and remember to validate it in the little yellow box) and you can spend all day on the canals of Venice! That beats $35pp doesn't it.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal.htm is the best website for Venice.

From my personal experience the most expensive transfer I found was in Rome - we caught the train to Rome for €4.50pp on way and the ship charged $91pp (!) and dropped people off at a station on the outskirts of Rome so they ended up buying a train ticket and getting on the same train we were on.

Planning is everything in the cruising game!!!

Spot on Albert. Planning is everything when cruising if you don't wish to waste time, money and opportunities. Thanks for everyone's advice and help. I was actually aware of 90% :rolleyes: but a bit of reassurance is always welcome.

One last query... unless another arises from additonal posts.

Not sure what you are seeing but we took a taxi right up to the terminal,there was no shuttle.

Is that because it is possible for the taxi to pay a port entry fee? If so how much? Think I read it somewhere a few weeks ago.

p.s. anyone who can save me £10. $10 or 10 euros is an instant friend for life;)

Spot on Albert. Planning is everything when cruising if you don't wish to waste time, money and opportunities. Thanks for everyone's advice and help. I was actually aware of 90% :rolleyes: but a bit of reassurance is always welcome.

One last query... unless another arises from additonal posts.

Is that because it is possible for the taxi to pay a port entry fee? If so how much? Think I read it somewhere a few weeks ago.

p.s. anyone who can save me £10. $10 or 10 euros is an instant friend for life;)

We didn't stop and pay anything to the port and when we disembarked there were plenty of taxis lined up.

We didn't stop and pay anything to the port and when we disembarked there were plenty of taxis lined up.

Same here. Our taxi took us straight into the port to the terminal in Barcelona & we just got a taxi back to the airport after the cruise. I think there is a small taxi surcharge for pick up/drop off at the cruise terminal, just like there is at the airport.

The two ports we visited that had a charged-for shuttle bus from ship to port gates were Livorno & Marseille. Because the ship docks in essentially a working industrial port you are not allowed to walk around & thus need the shuttle bus. Civitavecchia was the same, but it was a free shuttle bus.

No need to take a ships excursion to Florence. The port offers a shuttle/bus to town for 10€, very close to the dropoff point is where you can get the bus to the train station for 1€. Trains run to Pisa & Florence frequently and are very inexpensive. The port also offers a shuttle directly to the train station but only 1 round trip a day and it was expensive.

There is no port entry fee in BCN - you just drive over the big bridge to the port - you play 'spot your ship' by recognising the funnel - as they are about 6 ships all lined up in a row and then the cab driver takes you to your ship. There are no barriers, gates or anything. I'll let you know my bank account details in a mo....;)

From my personal experience the most expensive transfer I found was in Rome - we caught the train to Rome for €4.50pp on way and the ship charged $91pp (!) and dropped people off at a station on the outskirts of Rome so they ended up buying a train ticket and getting on the same train we were on.

Planning is everything in the cruising game!!!

Boy are you right on with transportation from Civitavecchia to FCO. We lined up a shuttle with three other couples before leaving home. However, my friend who was not happy paying $91 and some others got together while on the ship and got a shuttle for them while in one of the ports prior to Civitavecchia for $23 each. So if you don't have something ahead of time, then find some "newbestfriends" while on the cruise and hit an internet cafe to line something up.

Tucker in Texas

We paid $10 US each (round-trip) in Dubrovnik, Mykonos, and Corfu for our Med cruise last week. All shuttle's were excellent - we may have gotten lucky but it seemed we never waited more than 2-3 minutes ever! Nice, clean buses, no hassle, etc. and we had a nice on board credit that we used some of for this. I will say that taxi's may be cheaper especially if you have at least 3 people. Also in Corfu tablemates of our took the public bus for like 4 euros round trip from the port.

Hi will be do in Dubrovnik September 2nd. Is there shuttles at the port or only those provided by ship? Any advise on Santorini?

Thanks,

Check out the site specific port info on this website for more details. In Dubrovnik the ship will provide a shuttle one long city block from the entrance to the wall. In Santorini you can go up by cable car, donkey or book an excursion and get off the ship and get to the top by the tour operator. Check the Santorini posts and Dubrovnik posts to get more info.

Hi will be do in Dubrovnik September 2nd. Is there shuttles at the port or only those provided by ship? Any advise on Santorini?

Thanks,

Take the shuttle in Dubrovnik! It was so easy and dropped you off about 1 minute from the entrance to the old city / walls. In fact, for some reason if you do not use the shuttle, you can get a refund based on what the shore excursion document said (I did not try that, so can not confirm). We originally thought we would walk back, but it was actually a lot further than I thought.

In Santorini, you first tender in, then you can walk 660 steps (same steps donkey's use), take a donkey up for 5 euros, or take the cable car up for 4 euros. Same coming down.

If you want to use the ship shuttle's book them on the ship in advance. If you wait until you get off the ship you will wait in a long line!

• 3 weeks later...

We've just returned from 2 weeks on Independence in July. At each port we 'did our own thing' as we were quite confident about travelling in Europe.

In Gibraltar, taxis available at the pier which can take you on private tours for about 10 euros each.

In Livorno, we had to haggle to get a taxi to the station. Most drivers were looking to take larger fairs straight to Pisa. Eventually we got a taxi (sharing with others that wanted the same journey) to the station and a train to Pisa. One warning, there are very few taxis in Livorno (we got back there about 2:30pm) at the station or in town. Not sure if it's because they are all on longer trips but we had to walk into town and luckily found a couple of taxis. One of the gentlemen we were travelling with said this had happened to him before.

In Civitavecchia we took the free shuttle bus to the port entrance then walked up to the station. Our return train ticket to Rome cost 9 euros and that included the metro as well taking us right into town. There is a train that leaves about 8am so be quick and you can make a good day of it.

In Caligari, we walked off the boat and got a private taxi tour (available at the entrance to the port).

In Cadiz and Lisbon, we got off the boat and took open top bus tours. We got off and had a wander in Cadiz then walked back to the boat.

In Vigo, we just got off the boat and walked to the shops.

Hope this lets you see that the 'independent' option is possible and definitely much cheaper. Just leave yourself LOTS of time to get back. Better half a day trip then a boat missed!!

Archived