Evaluating a beverage package? Here is a beverage list with prices, as of mid-2010.

jg51

So it equates to approx. 3 UK pints = 5 US Bottles.

This will seriously affect my decision to purchase a beverage package.

I anticipate that even on an excursion day, the minimum I am likely to have:

1 speciality coffee

1 fresh juice

1 bottle of water

5 bottles of beer

1 cocktail

$42 minimum

On an 'at sea' day, there will be a couple extra coffees, and a couple extra beers/cocktails, taking it upwards of $65.

Classic Package is $44.85, so I think my mind is made up.

DH thought we would never get our money's worth since we have a very intense port cruise. 5 on a 7 day.

So, I had to make a list of what my DH & I anticipate on drinking. :o

Me Premium~

Bottle water for excursion day ($4)

2 drinks at pool after excursion ($16)

2 glasses of wine during dinner ($16)

1 Specialty coffee ($6)

bottle of fancy water ($4)

Couple of martinis or cocktails in the evening ($20)

DH Classic ~

Bottle water for excursion day ($4)

5 beers \ drinks at pool and dinner ($25)

Bottle of fancy water ($4)

Couple of cocktails in the evening ($20)

DH said get the packages. :D:D

Classic Package is $44.85, so I think my mind is made up.

Trouble is, once you've persuaded yourself to get the Classic then the Premium is only a few $ more per day......;)

That's the progression my mind took anyway. :o

Trouble is, once you've persuaded yourself to get the Classic then the Premium is only a few $ more per day......;)

That's the progression my mind took anyway. :o

Another $8 per day. Tempting, but I think I can go without the more expensive beers/cocktails and stick to the $5/$8 ones.

Hi all!

I've read through all 38 pages of this thread over the last few days, and the helpful information has cemented our decision to get the premium package on our upcoming April 9 sailing on the Eclipse. I do however have a question regarding the availability of certain wines. I noticed that Celebrity has a Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc available, but the only menu I've seen it on is the Murano drinks menu. If this wine is not normally stocked in other bars, would I be allowed to walk into the Murano to order a glass if I don't intend to dine there that evening? Same question for other wines available only at the speciality restaurants - can I walk in and order a specific glass of wine if I'm not dining at the specialty restaurant?

My other question (which I probably know the answer to) is regarding ordering the drinks package. I want to order it prior to the sailing, but I want to pay for it at the end of the cruise through my shipboard account. Is it possible to do this, or if I order the package prior to the cruise I must charge it to my card at the time of order? I know I can purchase it as soon as I get on board, but I'd rather just have it taken care of in advance.

I hope the question isn't too confusing ;)

Thanks in advance!

I was able to order Cakebread Sauv Blanc at any of the bars and in the MDR, as well as Murano. I never had a problem. However, when I requested a particular red wine at the martini bar, they didn't have it available at that bar, but they came by with a different (actually more expensive wine) and let me taste it to see if I liked it. If I didn't, they were more than happy to bring me something else. DH and I both had the Premium Package. It was very nice trying different, pricier wines than we would ordinarily purchase when we're trying to keep our onboard expenses down.

You cannot order the beverage package ahead of time and then pay when you board the ship. Since we had a sizable onboard credit, we ordered and paid for DH ahead of time via Celebrity's website, and then purchased mine (to use up some of our OBC) when we boarded the ship.

Keep in mind, that if you purchase the package as soon as you board the ship before it leaves port, they tack on tax. I questioned this add'l fee (almost $30 extra) at the Customer Relations desk, and they happily removed it for me, but I don't think they were obligated to.

Enjoy your cruise. We absolutely loved Eclipse!

Jo-Ann

I don't understand what the tax was for? I have been trying to decide to get the pkg. now or when I get on the ship. I know the gratuity would be tacked on but $30.00 more? If I do get the pkg. it would be the premium for the martinis!

I was able to order Cakebread Sauv Blanc at any of the bars and in the MDR, as well as Murano. I never had a problem. However, when I requested a particular red wine at the martini bar, they didn't have it available at that bar, but they came by with a different (actually more expensive wine) and let me taste it to see if I liked it. If I didn't, they were more than happy to bring me something else. DH and I both had the Premium Package. It was very nice trying different, pricier wines than we would ordinarily purchase when we're trying to keep our onboard expenses down.

You cannot order the beverage package ahead of time and then pay when you board the ship. Since we had a sizable onboard credit, we ordered and paid for DH ahead of time via Celebrity's website, and then purchased mine (to use up some of our OBC) when we boarded the ship.

Keep in mind, that if you purchase the package as soon as you board the ship before it leaves port, they tack on tax. I questioned this add'l fee (almost $30 extra) at the Customer Relations desk, and they happily removed it for me, but I don't think they were obligated to.

Enjoy your cruise. We absolutely loved Eclipse!

Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann

I read that you do not pay taxes on the drink packages, only the 15% gratuity, regardless of where you purchase the package.

Can someone clarify this.

I was thinking of purchasing my package as soon as I board (put my OBC towards it), but might purchase on line to avoid paying tax.

Jo-Ann

I read that you do not pay taxes on the drink packages' date=' only the 15% gratuity, regardless of where you purchase the package.

Can someone clarify this.

I was thinking of purchasing my package as soon as I board (put my OBC towards it), but might purchase on line to avoid paying tax.[/quote']

I just wrote this on another board about drink prices. Hope it helps.

When you buy the package they will add 15% to the per day price.

So, the answer is, when using your package you do not pay extra

tax/tip....tax is a wrong word (no tax just tip/gratuity)

For our 11 day Millenniuim trip the Premium Beverage Pkg. is $619.85

That comes to $49 a day plus 15% equals $56.35 times 11 (days) equals $619.86

It was also mentioned that you can buy it for as many days as you wish at least two days before final

cruise day. So if you only wanted it for the last 6 days of the cruise you would take $56.35 times 6 for 338.10.

Confirmed just now by someone in the beverage package department.

Edited by Milwaukeeee
Additional Information

Got it - Thanks!

If that's the case wonder why jerseygirl3 was charged $30 extra? :confused:

For our 11 day Millenniuim trip the Premium Beverage Pkg. is $619.85

That comes to $49 a day plus 15% equals $56.35 times 11 (days) equals $619.86

It was also mentioned that you can buy it for as many days as you wish at least two days before final

cruise day. So if you only wanted it for the last 6 days of the cruise you would take $56.35 times 6 for 338.10.

Confirmed just now by someone in the beverage package department.

Um, sorry, but this is not correct.

When I paid for the beverage package as soon as we boarded the ship, I was charged an extra $29 and change OVER AND ABOVE THE 15% gratuity. When I questioned the girl at the bar where I purchased it, she said it was a Florida state tax added on because I purchased it before we left port. A friend purchased a single cocktail in the Bistro that same day before we left Miami, and in addition to the cost of her cocktail, a 15% gratuity was added, as well as State tax.

I did go to the Customer Relations desk and was ready to complain that this was never explained in advance, but the gentleman behind the desk was very accommodating and graciously removed it, although he didn't have to.

Maybe sometimes the charge is put on and sometimes it's not...but I'm just giving a head's up to those who purchase the beverage card before the ship leaves Florida, they have the right to charge you a State of Florida sales tax.

Jo-Ann

Um, sorry, but this is not correct.

When I paid for the beverage package as soon as we boarded the ship, I was charged an extra $29 and change OVER AND ABOVE THE 15% gratuity. When I questioned the girl at the bar where I purchased it, she said it was a Florida state tax added on because I purchased it before we left port. A friend purchased a single cocktail in the Bistro that same day before we left Miami, and in addition to the cost of her cocktail, a 15% gratuity was added, as well as State tax.

I did go to the Customer Relations desk and was ready to complain that this was never explained in advance, but the gentleman behind the desk was very accommodating and graciously removed it, although he didn't have to.

Maybe sometimes the charge is put on and sometimes it's not...but I'm just giving a head's up to those who purchase the beverage card before the ship leaves Florida, they have the right to charge you a State of Florida sales tax.

Jo-Ann

So sorry. I guess my information came regarding when one buys the package before leaving. I bought for an upcoming cruise and was not charged any tax. I guess if you buy on the ship while still in port (Florida) then Florida tax is added. We are leaving out of Puerto Rico and no tax was added when purchased ahead of the cruise.

So sorry. I guess my information came regarding when one buys the package before leaving. I bought for an upcoming cruise and was not charged any tax. I guess if you buy on the ship while still in port (Florida) then Florida tax is added. We are leaving out of Puerto Rico and no tax was added when purchased ahead of the cruise.

I asked several friends to check their receipts.

Not one was charged tax.

One person getting his drink from his beverage package has to let them scan

your Sail Away card. This assures only one person drinking on his package. At the end of the trip the final bill will show just how many drinks were consumed and then you can figure out if it was a good deal or not. If the person using the card doesn't match the id photo on the card...no drink. Keeps it honest for the ship reports I guess.

Read so many posts am still confused. If I buy a package does it last for a certain time? Do I have to by a different package each day?

Read so many posts am still confused. If I buy a package does it last for a certain time? Do I have to by a different package each day?

I've learned so much since first posting on this topic. You buy the package for all your cruise or for however many days (once starting until the cruise ends). So, if you are on a 7 day cruise you buy for 7 days OR for 4 days (which would be the last four days of the cruise. Not four individual days.)

Most will not have anything scanned (some do - some dont) when ordering their drink. Some say there is no account at the end of the trip other than you bought the pakage. Does this make more sense?

I asked several friends to check their receipts.

Not one was charged tax.

As I said before, I think it's hit or miss. I'm not sure why some are charged and some aren't, but everyone who purchases the beverage package before their ship leaves port should be advised to check and see what they are being charged.

As I said before, I think it's hit or miss. I'm not sure why some are charged and some aren't, but everyone who purchases the beverage package before their ship leaves port should be advised to check and see what they are being charged.

Not sure your length of cruise was, but if you order a 7 day package at $394.45 the tax would be $23.67. Not a flat rate of $29.

I'm thinking the bartender who sold you the package might have tack on an additional tip or something.

I totally agree with you about checking your purchases.

Always ask for a receipt.

On one of our cruises, while going over our bill we noticed 5 drink purchases that were ordered consecutively. We knew we didn't drink that much in a minute. :eek: We went down to the purser's desk, they investigated it and removed 4 of the purchases.

Not sure your length of cruise was' date=' but if you order a 7 day package at $394.45 the tax would be $23.67. Not a flat rate of $29.

I'm thinking the bartender who sold you the package might have tack on an additional tip or something.

I totally agree with you about checking your purchases.

Always ask for a receipt.

On one of our cruises, while going over our bill we noticed 5 drink purchases that were ordered consecutively. We knew we didn't drink that much in a minute. :eek: We went down to the purser's desk, they investigated it and removed 4 of the purchases.[/quote']

I guess I will have to pull out my receipt to make myself clear. Yes, the rate of $394.45 was charged. A 15% gratuity was also charged (included in the $394.45). However, an add'l FLORIDA STATE TAX was added, bringing out the total not to a flat rate of $29 (if you reread my post, you will see I noted the charge as $29 and change). When I questioned the bartender who sold me the package, she said it was Florida state tax. When I went to Customer Service Desk, they told me the same thing...Florida state tax is added when purchased before leaving port (my friend was charged tax, IN ADDITION TO 15% GRATUITY, on her single cocktail that she ordered prior to sailaway). The gentleman at CSD was nice enough to remove it for me, although apparently he didn't have to.

I'm just letting those know who purchase a package when they board the ship, check your bill.

My wife and I have purchased upfront the Premium Non-Alcoholic package.

However, It will always be me who will get the drinks so I guess i need both cards to get two drinks?

Also can anyone tell me the difference between premium coffees and specialty coffees?:confused:

However, It will always be me who will get the drinks so I guess i need both cards to get two drinks?

Also can anyone tell me the difference between premium coffees and specialty coffees?:confused:

Could it be that one contains alcohol, such as Irish coffee?

Just off the Solstice... in my experience (last week), premium coffees are the espresso based coffees available for purchase (lattes, americanos, etc) and the specialty coffees are the ones with a liqueur added to coffee (regular or premium coffee) like Kahlua or Irish Coffee.

Ok this one is a little unconventional...here it is.

I am 3 days before sailling therefore too close to buy a drink package (4 days prior max), but i went on the website and I bought one anyway even if there was warnings, my credit card has been charged and all...but in my reservation summary it still shows that i have 0 drink package purchased...anyone been in the same boat?

thanks

Ok this one is a little unconventional...here it is.

I am 3 days before sailling therefore too close to buy a drink package (4 days prior max), but i went on the website and I bought one anyway even if there was warnings, my credit card has been charged and all...but in my reservation summary it still shows that i have 0 drink package purchased...anyone been in the same boat?

thanks

If you call the Captain's Club, they should be able to check it for you and confirm whether or not it is showing on your account. I did that before we left on the Eclipse two weeks ago to be sure all the OBC's I cashed in through my Celebrity Amex were showing on my account. They should be able to verify it for you, as they also handle online orders for the specialty restaurants, etc.