Evaluating a beverage package? Here is a beverage list with prices, as of mid-2010.

jg51

Not sure about the pot of Coffee but I had specialty coffee's in the dining room no prob. Actually we loved the premium package. They take your car but you never sign. We asked the sommelier we would like to try different white wines and we had the packages and she just would keep our glasses full. We went to Cafe El Baggio in the morning to get a good skinny vanilla latte or Cafe Mocha etc then would go eat. We grabbed waters as we passed the bars and put them in the fridge which our steward had pretty well emptied for us. We tried different martini's at the martini Ice bar before dinner. It gave us freedom not to worry about what we were spending and not having to check my bill to make sure we were charged for the right drinks. I never number chrunched but I know we were pretty damned close. If you drink beer wine and martini's get the package. If you drink one or two drinks and day don't

Steve

I'm sorry but I'm still confused about the beverage packages. If I wanted to order a pot of coffee to have on my balcony in the morning - no food.....would I be charged for that coffee since it seems that room service beverages aren't included?

Also....are the espresso based coffees available in the MDR during mealtimes?

Echoing the sentiments of many expressed here, very torn about what to do. Despite knowing how hideously overpriced they are, I do like my martinis. Not sure I'll want one everyday though. I've convinced myself that the Premium Non-Alc pkg is for me because I'm hoping the "full range of coffees" (room service excluded) will be a benefit but truthfully, I'm still a bit confused. :confused:

Not sure about the pot of Coffee but I had specialty coffee's in the dining room no prob. Actually we loved the premium package. They take your car but you never sign. We asked the sommelier we would like to try different white wines and we had the packages and she just would keep our glasses full. We went to Cafe El Baggio in the morning to get a good skinny vanilla latte or Cafe Mocha etc then would go eat. We grabbed waters as we passed the bars and put them in the fridge which our steward had pretty well emptied for us. We tried different martini's at the martini Ice bar before dinner. It gave us freedom not to worry about what we were spending and not having to check my bill to make sure we were charged for the right drinks. I never number chrunched but I know we were pretty damned close. If you drink beer wine and martini's get the package. If you drink one or two drinks and day don't

Steve

Thanks for the info....I "think" we've decided to go for the Premium non-alcoholic package like november_rain. I adore my lattes and cappuccinos and want to be able to drink those with abandon (haha!) but I don't think we'd drink enough alcohol to make that package worthwhile.....then again, I waffle. (Do enjoy a martini or two).

decisions, decisions....:cool:

Why I liked the Premium package..

I liked the premium package as there was 'no guilt' if I wanted a 2nd martini.. It was already bought and paid for..

I liked not having to sign for a beverage, I always felt obliged to add an extra tip.. This way I just went around tipping extra to my fav bar staff at the end of the cruise...

I liked that if I wasn't enjoying a drink I could leave it and not feel 'guilty' that I'd just dropped $7:50 on it.. I found that some bar staff to could make my favourite Rum Runner drink and it taste totally different..

I liked that I felt 'liberated' to experiment in the Martini bar and instead of sticking with the safe, tried and tested I felt free to order others that I may not have 'risked' if I was dropping $10

I liked having bottles of San Peligrino, we would go for a speciality coffee before breakfast and then take a bottle of San Pel to breakfast..

I liked ordering a 'French Kiss' after dinner... an indulgence I would not otherwise have done..

I liked ordering wine with dinner, and not feeling I had to finish every last drop..

(warning, if you order a wine over the $12 limit they charge for the whole glass)

The freedom to mix it up a little and leave something I didn't particularly care for is great.

The classic non-alcohol package description includes "premium coffees". The premium non-alcohol package description says "specialty coffees". Does anyone know the difference? We really like our cappucinos and espressos.

The classic non-alcohol package description includes "premium coffees". The premium non-alcohol package description says "specialty coffees". Does anyone know the difference? We really like our cappucinos and espressos.

Hi,

This is what Celebrity site states:

"What is the difference between the Premium Coffee's (Classic/ Premium Nonalcoholic Package) and the Specialty Coffee's (Classic /Premium Package?

Subject: Beverage Packages

Premium coffee's (e.g. espresso's, latte's and capuccino's) are served in our coffee lounge's such as the Cova Bar and Café al Bacio, specialty coffee's include coffee with alcohol and are served in any bar or lounge."

Clear as mud!! Cappucinos and espressos included in Classic Package but do they mean that coffee with alcohol is included in premium non alcohol package? I have not seen any other definition of what a speciality coffee is!!:confused:

just returned from our second cruise, a 2-weeks on constellation. simply one of the best vacations ever!

had the classic alcoholic package for both of us again (pre-booked). so did we on our first cruise one week on solstice last year, that was just a mere few weeks after the introduction of beverage packages.

so i feel somewhat qualified to compare:

- "smoothness" of ordering is greatly improved, all waiters are familiar with the packages and no mischargings or the like occured.

- no more signing of paper slips, great improvement over the requirement to sign every $0.00 slip on the first cruise, huge convenience advantage.

- service is great, at least as good as for the people without the packages. (except for the comparably poor waiter service around the pool, but this is independent of packages, must be the looser-job or something)

- on the first cruise with 7 days and 3 ports we clearly broke even, this time (14days, 8 ports) maybe not quite. it's hard to analyse in retrospect as we only have the number of consumptions and which charging location on the final statement, but not the type of drink/value. break even this time for us is around $5 as average per drink/order. considering quite a few plain sodas in that and cheaper wine (see below) the cocktails we had probably don't quite make it up.

- one incosistency we found was the large bottle of EVIAN water. we got large bottles of water all the time, before leaving ship and before going to bed. in an apparent effort to differentiate classic from premium, some bars would only hand out "regular" aquarius spring water bottles while others would always give evian. didn't matter to us much, but to some it may. and there appeared to be no clear logic on how this was handled.

- the only point that really kind of "itched" me during the whole cruise (which goes to show how great the cruise was!) was that there were apparent price changes to "outprice" the classic package with wines that i hadn't known in advance :-(

one example that really sucked was the "Chianti Classico" red wine, had had that for $8 a glass last summer (like 2-3 glasses per dinner), it was just awesome, but now it costs $8.50! and the list of wines up to $8 is down to just 4 red wines. :-( irony of the situation was that the single "tasty" of these 4 wines turned out to be the "Pinotage Heron's Nest" for a mere $5.50 per glass. the fact that you can't even get the Chianti by paying the 50cts difference makes things worse obviously. I'm fine if Martinis etc... are out of classic package range, or that a wine for 12$ isn't in, but come on, it was probably an accident that they didn't advertise the Chianti for like $8.15 a glass, the change was just too obvious... :-(

- we got to love cafe al bacio with all the included specialty coffees, might not have discovered that without the packages.

- will probably book the packages again for convenience reasons but will check the current pricing (if available) better next time or wait to book until on the ship after having a look at the drink menus.

rgds, bernie

Just returned from 2 weeks with a Premium Package which we bought in advance:

1. Saved about what we expected (about $5.00 a day each) but drank less booze and more Cova Cafe coffee

2. Loved not signing and the 3 bar waiters we used most regularly had our numbers and names and didn't ask for cards after 3 days, even when they were working in other bars.

3. No problem getting room drinks - 1 person 2 cards to the bar, alternating who's turn it was to make the trek.

4. In the MDR, wine glasses were never empty with no advanced tip to the sommelier.

5. Only 1 waiter became noticeable less pursuant of our business after being given the card, probably because the tips are from a card pool and are less to the waiter.

6. Couldn't get doubles from a strange waiter, although I am pretty sure we could of from our regular waiters, we just didn't try.

7. One waiter didn't know what the card code meant and had to check.

8. They had a carafe of wine my DW was drinking at a discount to a price within the package. Although she could by the wine by the glass, she couldn't by the carafe, even though she could buy 2 successive glasses of wine that total in cost more than the carafe. In the end, the result was a higher charge although zero balance to the package than if she had been allowed the carafe Must be either a weird accounting or maybe marketing rule.

9. Only real thing that could be better, is the ability to get your butler or room service to get your drinks on the card....but nothings ever perfect.

When all is said & done we will get the package again next time we are on X

First - a *HUGE Thank You* to everyone who has contributed to the wealth of information in this thread! :)

We are leaning toward the classic alcohol package for our upcoming 10 night cruise. (our first one!) My question is - are the inclusions/exclusions clearly posted everywhere, or are we going to have to constantly be asking, "Is this latte included in our package? Is that mixed drink included in our package? Is this beer under $5? ..." :confused:

Thanks for your help!

First - a *HUGE Thank You* to everyone who has contributed to the wealth of information in this thread! :)

We are leaning toward the classic alcohol package for our upcoming 10 night cruise. (our first one!) My question is - are the inclusions/exclusions clearly posted everywhere, or are we going to have to constantly be asking, "Is this latte included in our package? Is that mixed drink included in our package? Is this beer under $5? ..." :confused:

Thanks for your help!

Most of the time you will have a menu to chose from so you will have the prices in front of you. Unless you just know what you want, of course. If you go back to the beginning of this thread you will see the prices of most items and what's included in each package.

That's why we went for the premium package. Not much more per day and it included everything up to $12 without having to worry about how much it cost. There's not much that the package doesn't cover which is great and you can try out a lot of different things you wouldn't be able to with the classic package. Having never hard a martini, it was a pleasure to try those. If I didn't like something I could just get something else, no problem. At dinner we would get San Pelligrino water, wine(s) and maybe a martini with our dinner. This is probably the only time where you'll be able to get more than one drink at the same time.

We absolutely loved the package and will glady get it again.

Thank you, Kathy. :) Good to know that menus are everywhere. Then I guess the only confusion comes with pesky question about what is a *premium* coffee and what is a *specialty* coffee. ;)

I'm guessing it will all become clear after the first day or so on board. :D

Thank you, Kathy. :) Good to know that menus are everywhere. Then I guess the only confusion comes with pesky question about what is a *premium* coffee and what is a *specialty* coffee. ;)

I'm guessing it will all become clear after the first day or so on board. :D

http://www.celebrity************/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Beverage+Packages&faqId=4044&pagename=faq_answers

What is the difference between the Premium Coffee's (Classic/ Premium Nonalcoholic Package) and the Specialty Coffee's (Classic /Premium Package?

Subject: Beverage Packages

Premium coffee's (e.g. espresso's' date=' latte's and capuccino's) are served in our coffee lounge's such as the Cova Bar and Café al Bacio, specialty coffee's include coffee with alcohol and are served in any bar or lounge.

[/quote']

Saw this in another thread. Hope it helps.

I'm leaning toward the Premium Non-Alcoholic Package for my upcoming cruise on Eclipse.

Thank you, r. I guess what's driving me a bit crazy is the fact that "premium" coffees are included in the "classic" package, but "specialty" coffees are included in the "premium" package. Wouldn't you think you'd have to buy a "premium" package to get "premium" coffee?

Now it's five o'clock here, and I need a drink! :p

Thank you, r. I guess what's driving me a bit crazy is the fact that "premium" coffees are included in the "classic" package, but "specialty" coffees are included in the "premium" package. Wouldn't you think you'd have to buy a "premium" package to get "premium" coffee?

I'll take a Rum Runner please!

Saw this in another thread. Hope it helps.

I'm leaning toward the Premium Non-Alcoholic Package for my upcoming cruise on Eclipse.

I'm going Premium Alcoholic. ;)

If hubby's post-cruise pics on TCF are blurry and/or shaky, you can blame me!

What's even MORE confusing is that it seems, at least as I understand it, the premium NON-ALCOHOL package covers specialty coffees, which are made with ALCOHOL, like Irish coffees, etc. Go figure!:confused:

It's gonna be the classic/premium alcohol for us!!!

~Lynn

- we got to love cafe al bacio with all the included specialty coffees, might not have discovered that without the packages.

- will probably book the packages again for convenience reasons but will check the current pricing (if available) better next time or wait to book until on the ship after having a look at the drink menus.

Bernie

Great review on the beverage plan.

I booked the "premium" :D for convenience. Something new to look forward to.

Hope my liver survives :o.

I tried finding the site I printed out all the beverage menus from. It contained all the prices of drinks.

Chianti Classico Riserva is listed as $8.50

On this site it shows the price of $9.50

http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Cruise-Ship-Rooms-and-Features/Menus-and-Information/4467773_J9pi2/1/262766981_EXKNS#380496281_AdtGi

2. Loved not signing and the 3 bar waiters we used most regularly had our numbers and names and didn't ask for cards after 3 days, even when they were working in other bars.

By day 2 - he'll have my number. :o..:D

3. No problem getting room drinks - 1 person 2 cards to the bar, alternating who's turn it was to make the trek.

Ooooh! This is good to know. :D

4. In the MDR, wine glasses were never empty with no advanced tip to the sommelier.

I was concerned about this. I like having 2 - 3 glasses at dinner time. :o

6. Couldn't get doubles from a strange waiter, although I am pretty sure we could of from our regular waiters, we just didn't try.

Have to meet this strange waiter. :D

Hope he's on the Summit. ;)

Thanks for your take on the beverage package.

Just returned from 2 weeks with a Premium Package which we bought in advance:

1. Saved about what we expected (about $5.00 a day each) but drank less booze and more Cova Cafe coffee

5. Only 1 waiter became noticeable less pursuant of our business after being given the card, probably because the tips are from a card pool and are less to the waiter.

7. One waiter didn't know what the card code meant and had to check.

8. They had a carafe of wine my DW was drinking at a discount to a price within the package. Although she could by the wine by the glass, she couldn't by the carafe, even though she could buy 2 successive glasses of wine that total in cost more than the carafe. In the end, the result was a higher charge although zero balance to the package than if she had been allowed the carafe Must be either a weird accounting or maybe marketing rule.

9. Only real thing that could be better, is the ability to get your butler or room service to get your drinks on the card....but nothings ever perfect.

When all is said & done we will get the package again next time we are on X

What was the experience if you ordered a beer or two? Would they open them? I like to have a fridge full of beer, but I'm not paying extra for buckets if I bought a package. I figured I'd bring a couple back each time I head back to the room.

What was the experience if you ordered a beer or two? Would they open them? I like to have a fridge full of beer, but I'm not paying extra for buckets if I bought a package. I figured I'd bring a couple back each time I head back to the room.

One bottle per card per visit to the bar.

Your choice opened or not, although be very clear on the bar tender that you want the cap on. Their natural reaction is to open it even after you have said cap on.

Yes we did build up a small supply in the frig ( 3 or 4 bottles)

Hubby and I both purchased the classic package for the upcoming T/A. Reading your list and being a wine drinker I think I need to upgrade to the premium. Most of the wines I enjoy are 8:50 or above,and if I am reading correctly the classic package only allows for wines up to $8.00. He is fine with the classic (Mainly a beer man).

This list really helps. Thanks again.