Evaluating a beverage package? Here is a beverage list with prices, as of mid-2010.

jg51

Before we departed we pondered this question of drinks packages and read many reviews. Should we have one and if so which one?? We finally settled on a premium alcohol package for both of us at a cost of £974, which did seem a lot to pay especially as I don't drink much alcohol. Our conclusion is that it worked for us. We liked being able to order what we wanted, when we wanted, without having to think about the cost anymore. Having discovered the delights of the Martini bar I think my hubby did both our packages justice!

Before we departed we pondered this question of drinks packages and read many reviews. Should we have one and if so which one?? We finally settled on a premium alcohol package for both of us at a cost of £974, which did seem a lot to pay especially as I don't drink much alcohol. Our conclusion is that it worked for us. We liked being able to order what we wanted, when we wanted, without having to think about the cost anymore. Having discovered the delights of the Martini bar I think my hubby did both our packages justice!

Like you I pondered about the package and decided on the Classic package at a cost of £766 for the two of us. I was very happy that we did so after seeing the prices. The wine choice was limited but what we had was OK. We had a wide choice of cocktails,liquers and spirits as well as beers in the package. I had not expected to be able to have single malt whisky in the package also. Also water, soft drinks, coffees are included which all add up.

I think if you have more than six drinks a day it is worth it although I was charged four times for drinks included in the package so you need to keep an eye on your account.

I am interested in buying the premium non-alcohol package. I understand the items in the cabin fridge are not included. Would we be able to drink something from the fridge and replace it later to avoid being charged ?

Unfortunately, no. There are sensors in the fridge that note when beverages are taken out and it automatically charges your account. At least that's what I read in another thread.

Oh yeah, we went on the Solstice back in February and both of us got the Premium Pkg. We're headed out on Eclipse this November (dang, I better hit the treadmill and get my girlish figure back) and plan to do it again.

In short, if you enjoy higher-end beers, fancy liquor drinks/martinis and fine wine with your meals, the Premium Package is fairly priced. If you aren't a wine snob and/or drink regular beers and "well drinks" the Classic Package will work. DW and I aren't typically heavy drinkers (well, except for the first sea day of that cruise...), but we do like good wine and higher-end beers, plus the twice-a-day Cafe al Bacio trip for capuccinos. We got our bill at the end of the cruise and saved approximately $150 by going with the Premium Package.

Just think about how many beverages you plan to drink in a day (be sure to include coffees/espresso/cappuccinos, bottles of water, etc.) and take the average price in that category. Do the math on a daily basis; then you'll see whether or not it makes sense to get the package. Also, we found that it made sense for us to get the package even though we had three port days.

I am interested in buying the premium non-alcohol package. I understand the items in the cabin fridge are not included. Would we be able to drink something from the fridge and replace it later to avoid being charged ?

Unfortunately, no. There are sensors in the fridge that note when beverages are taken out and it automatically charges your account. At least that's what I read in another thread.

We've never had the kind of fridge that had sensors on any of our Celebrity cruises - although I will say that I'm not sure we opened the mini bar on our Eclipse cruise. On all the others the mini bars had no such sensors and we regularly moved stuff around and even took it out and stored elsewhere in the cabin as we used the mini bar as a mini fridge to keep our own items cool.

I don't know how often they inventory the items so I don't know if they are likely to bill you for something before you replace it. Might do better working the other way - store a few of your favorites in the fridge so they'll be there when you want them. Just mention to your steward if you're taking stuff out to make room.

I did try that, but will try again when I get home. Maybe it will work there! :) Thanks for all your help!!

Hi,

Just wondered if you got this to work. I had the same problem as you, couldn't make any changes. I took the suggestion and downloaded to Excel. At the bottom you'll see there's a Sheet 16, Sheet 1 and Sheet 18. If you click on Sheet 1, it's there. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Just wondered if you got this to work. I had the same problem as you, couldn't make any changes. I took the suggestion and downloaded to Excel. At the bottom you'll see there's a Sheet 16, Sheet 1 and Sheet 18. If you click on Sheet 1, it's there. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help! I did get a copy to work!

We've never had the kind of fridge that had sensors on any of our Celebrity cruises - although I will say that I'm not sure we opened the mini bar on our Eclipse cruise. On all the others the mini bars had no such sensors and we regularly moved stuff around and even took it out and stored elsewhere in the cabin as we used the mini bar as a mini fridge to keep our own items cool.

I don't know how often they inventory the items so I don't know if they are likely to bill you for something before you replace it. Might do better working the other way - store a few of your favorites in the fridge so they'll be there when you want them. Just mention to your steward if you're taking stuff out to make room.

What we found was on the last night of a cruise, when they turn down your bed or do the last day's cleaning, they inventory the refrigerator and lock it up. Taking anything that's yours and putting in on the table outside the refrigerator. If it's important medicine I suppose you have to contact someone to come back and unlock the refrigerator for the last night.

OK, Thanks for guiding me to per drink prices on the Celebrity page. Although, the prices were from mid 2010, others have assured me per unit prices remained the same.

I have greatly improved the Drink Package Evaluator. Only input is no. of days (at sea/in port) and estimated no. of drinks. The work paper will calculate everything for you and you can then compare to the various drink packages. Those with "Ciber-phopia" - I improved the spreadsheet for you!

The only thing that remains to be done, is find out how to insert it into the CC boards! Any body know the procedures - or must I be limited to Google documents? That in it's self creates problems.

I have included it with the Roll Call for our next cruise and those that have seen/used it only have positive comments!

Steve

Can cruisers from the UK purchase the Premium Alcohol Package on board when you first embark. Has I've noticed Celebrity stiff people from the UK if you purchase it online and have to pay in £'s.

If you buy 2 packages in $'s for an 11 night cruise it's $1352.40 inc grats, but if you buy it online in £'s it's £924.04.

This gives an exchange rate of $1.46 to £1, I can get a better exchange rate in the high street in the UK and not have to pay any commission or charges.

There is absolutely no issue buying the package when you board. They are for sale at almost all the bars on board and they have signs and advertisements around the ship promoting the packages.

At some ports they don't sell the packages until they are out at sea as they have to collect and pay tax on items sold when at port - I think Barcelona is an example of this. So there is a chance you might have to wait and buy the package later that night. If that is the case you'll do better buying it the next morning so the rate will be pro-rated for one day less. You can ask about this on board but I don't think it applies to very many cruises.

The only risk one runs by waiting is that they would increase the price. But since they just made a modest price increase I don't think it is an issue for a cruise a few months from now.

Edited by Lsimon

There is absolutely no issue buying the package when you board. They are for sale at almost all the bars on board and they have signs and advertisements around the ship promoting the packages.

At some ports they don't sell the packages until they are out at sea as they have to collect and pay tax on items sold when at port - I think Barcelona is an example of this. So there is a chance you might have to wait and buy the package later that night. If that is the case you'll do better buying it the next morning so the rate will be pro-rated for one day less. You can ask about this on board but I don't think it applies to very many cruises.

The only risk one runs by waiting is that they would increase the price. But since they just made a modest price increase I don't think it is an issue for a cruise a few months from now.

Thanks..

Can cruisers from the UK purchase the Premium Alcohol Package on board when you first embark. Has I've noticed Celebrity stiff people from the UK if you purchase it online and have to pay in £'s.

If you buy 2 packages in $'s for an 11 night cruise it's $1352.40 inc grats, but if you buy it online in £'s it's £924.04.

This gives an exchange rate of $1.46 to £1, I can get a better exchange rate in the high street in the UK and not have to pay any commission or charges.

Yes you can book it on board when you first embark. I bought a Classic Package in advance and paid in sterling although I was aware of a modest price increase pending. I saved over £100 by doing this over the on board prices.

Fridges do not have sensors, we often take part of the content out so we can cool meds and never had an issue

You can also ask the cabin Steward to empty the contents of the mini bar to have use of the fridge for the whole sailing. This also insures that they not charge you for anything from the Mini Bar. From my experience, they check the mini bar daily and re-stock as needed, with the appropriate charges....

I've just worked out my package cost for 12 night cruise and its £462.02 (inc 15% service). Compared with the US$ cost it would be $777.63 (12 x $64.80) so I get an effective exchange rate of $1.68 to the £. That's is really good. Why the difference in our calculations? Are packages priced differently on different ships?

The T&C also state you can only buy the packages on a per cruise deal and not daily so I'm even more confused. Help icon5.gif

I've just worked out my package cost for 12 night cruise and its £462.02 (inc 15% service). Compared with the US$ cost it would be $777.63 (12 x $64.80) so I get an effective exchange rate of $1.68 to the £. That's is really good. Why the difference in our calculations? Are packages priced differently on different ships?

The T&C also state you can only buy the packages on a per cruise deal and not daily so I'm even more confused. Help icon5.gif

Yes I was a bit confused by his figures as I had a good exchange rate when I bought my package although the cost in sterling can change along with the exchange rate. You cannot buy the package daily but if you wish to purchase the package mid cruise you can do so but it has to be for the remainder of the cruise. Having purchased the classic package for a recent cruise I would recommend it.

Yes I was a bit confused by his figures as I had a good exchange rate when I bought my package although the cost in sterling can change along with the exchange rate. You cannot buy the package daily but if you wish to purchase the package mid cruise you can do so but it has to be for the remainder of the cruise. Having purchased the classic package for a recent cruise I would recommend it.

Thanks Macro duck

I simply put in my cruise reservation details and up came the cost of £462.02 (after adding on the 15%) I then compared it with the daily US$ cost. It seems more sense to pre book in £'s than wait until I board particularly if there is an additional VAT cost with Barcelona embarkations.

I presume once I get my cruise card I can get drinks through the package as soon as I get on board. With half a day gone on embarkation I'll have some catching up to doicon12.gif

Peter

Thanks Macro duck

I simply put in my cruise reservation details and up came the cost of £462.02 (after adding on the 15%) I then compared it with the daily US$ cost. It seems more sense to pre book in £'s than wait until I board particularly if there is an additional VAT cost with Barcelona embarkations.

I presume once I get my cruise card I can get drinks through the package as soon as I get on board. With half a day gone on embarkation I'll have some catching up to doicon12.gif

Peter

I was working my figures off the link below where lists the cost as $56.35 inc grats per day for the premium.

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/onboard-experience/beverage-packages/

or here is the text copied and pasted, it says at the bottom in the T&C's that the prices inc. 15% grats. Working of these prices, it's cheaper buying it onboard. Maybe one of the posters from the US could confirm what they pay inc. service charge/grats.

Beverage Packages

Make your holiday more relaxing and enjoyable by paying one set price for a wide variety of beverage choices or select from individual packages that include endless refills of fountain sodas, unlimited bottled water or enjoy one of our premium wine package selections.

Beverage packages must be pre-reserved a minimum of four days before your sail date. Please note, on certain European sailings we are unable to sell beverage packages in advance of the cruise due to VAT regulations. We are also currently unable to offer wine packages on our Solstice class of ships

Book online now or purchase onboard by visiting any bar throughout the ship.

Fountain Soda Packages

Receive a complimentary Coca-Cola souvenir cup in your stateroom upon embarkation and enjoy unlimited soft drinks during the duration of your cruise.

$5.75 per guest, per day

Premium Water Package

Enjoy the pure refreshment of Evian® still water and/or Pellegrino® sparkling bottled water for the duration of your cruise. Perfected by nature in the French Alps, Evian replenishes your body and mind. San Pellegrino, sourced from three great springs in northern Italy, provides the ideal accompaniment to any meal. Show your SeaPass Card at any bar, lounge or restaurant to indicate your participation.

$12.65 per guest, per day

Premium & Classic Packages

Classic Non-Alcoholic Package

In addition to enjoying your favorite Coca Cola® can and fountain sodas selections such as Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange and Coke Zero, you may also enjoy fresh squeezed and bottled juices, Premium Coffees and Teas and Non-Premium Bottled Water.

$14.95 per guest, per day

Premium Non-Alcoholic Package

Enjoy nearly our entire selection of Non-Alcoholic beverages on board including all canned and fountain soft drinks from Coca Cola, Premium Bottled Water from Evian, Perrier and San Pellegrino, Specialty Coffees and Teas, Non-Alcoholic Frozen Drinks and Smoothies, Red Bull Energy Drink and Specialty Waters from Vitamin Water.

$18.40 per guest, per day

Classic Package

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all Beers up to $5 per serving and spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving.

$44.85 per guest, per day

Premium Package

For the ultimate in value and convenience, our premium package provides all the benefits of our Premium Non-Alcoholic Package. In addition, you can enjoy our entire selection of Beers as well as Spirits, Cocktails and Wines by the Glass up to $12 per serving.

$56.35 per guest, per day

Taste of Vineyards Packages

The Captain's Package

The Captain's Package offers a superb collection of wines suitable for all your tastes and preferences. You may also choose to mix and match wines from the Sommelier's Package to further enhance your enjoyment. Package pricing represents a savings of 10% off regular list prices.

3 Bottles - $148.35 per package 5 Bottles - $247.25 per package 7 Bottles - $343.85 per package

The Sommelier's Package

With the Sommelier's Package, savour premium international selections. Sample wines from Italy such as Bertani®, Renwood® from Washington, and S.A. Prum® from Germany. Package pricing represents a savings of 5% off regular list prices.

3 Bottles - $113.85 per package 5 Bottles - $189.75 per package 7 Bottles - $263.35 per package

Build Your Own Wine Package

A package for the connoisseur. Choose from selections such as boutique California, French Grand Cru and Italian Super Tuscan wines. Also receive a $10 coupon towards our Riedel Comparative Wine Glass Workshop. Limit two per package. Select 3 or more bottles valued at $75 each or more to receive an overall savings of 15%. To purchase this package look for our wine exposition on embarkation day.

Book any of these packages online now

Terms and Conditions

All prices in USD are subject to change without notice and include 15% service charge. Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, and no refunds will be issued for unused amounts. Packages may not be shared, and do not include beverages sold in gift shops, mini-bar or room service. Ordered packages may be modified up to four days prior to sailing by cancelling and reordering the package. Cancellations or refunds will not be issued onboard the vessel after embarkation day. Availability of beverage packages varies by ship. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions apply.

Edited by newport dave

Thanks Macro duck

Peter

We are calling in at Turkey, so I didn't think Spanish VAT applied. Thought that was just for cruises visiting all EU ports.

Now I'm confused......:confused::confused::confused::confused:

U.S. prices for the Premium package are $62.10 ($54.00 + 15% service). This is after a price increase that went into effect a month or so ago. Prior to that prices were $56.35 ($49+15%). So it looks like your prices are equal to the older USA prices. if they are still charging based on those it might be worth it.

When we sailed from Barcelona last fall I believe they were only charging Spanish tax on items bought at port and before we enterred international waters. Our cruise included Spain, Italy, Croatia, Italy, France and Spain in that order if that makes any difference. I recall our friends buying a package on board and holding off until the first morning to avoid the tax and we had tax added onto our ala carte beverage purchases only the first evening.

Edited by Lsimon

U.S. prices for the Premium package are $62.10 ($54.00 + 15% service). This is after a price increase that went into effect a month or so ago. Prior to that prices were $56.35 ($49+15%). So it looks like your prices are equal to the older USA prices. if they are still charging based on those it might be worth it.

When we sailed from Barcelona last fall I believe they were only charging Spanish tax on items bought at port and before we enterred international waters. Our cruise included Spain, Italy, Croatia, Italy, France and Spain in that order if that makes any difference. I recall our friends buying a package on board and holding off until the first morning to avoid the tax and we had tax added onto our ala carte beverage purchases only the first evening.

Thanks, obviously Celebrity haven't updated their site correctly if the link I provided is still showing the old prices.

So, after all the confusion being sorted, because of a dodgy page on Celebrity's website. The next question is, If I order it online now, when do I have to pay for it? Straight away, with my final payment or does it get added to my onboard account????

So, after all the confusion being sorted, because of a dodgy page on Celebrity's website. The next question is, If I order it online now, when do I have to pay for it? Straight away, with my final payment or does it get added to my onboard account????

Hi Dave

I think you pay when you purchase the package. This is what happens also when you purchase excursions on line and charged in £s to the credit card you assign.

Unless someone persuades me otherwise I'm tempted to get the package just before boarding (but outside the 4 day window obviously). With the current exchange rate I would save more this way than waiting to have my ship account charged in $'s once on board.

Any views/observations would be appreciated

Peter