Venice Tourist Travel Cards

Wotan758

We staying 2 day pre-cruise in Venice (Hotel in Mestre). A friend told me about the "Venice Tourist Travel Cards" which enable travels by bus and vaporetto for 24 or 48 hours.

My question is: anyone already used? where can we purchase it? any place in Mestre near the rail station?

Mestre is NOT Venice. It is on the mainland and you have to then take a bus or train a short distance over the causeway to Venice itself. Here is the Venice Connected web site.

IT sells transportation cards that are less expensive if bought on line ahead of time. Buying when there will cost more.

I don't think it covers the train from Mestre BUT it may cover the bus.

http://www.veniceconnected.com/

When you buy online through Venice Connected, you then have to take your voucher to a Venice Connected Point to obtain your transit pass, before using the transit system. The info is on the web site that riffatsea has given. This may be obvious to most, but I remember reading about one cruiser who didn't know and was annoyed because they couldn't get on the transit system with the voucher they received online. :(

We just returned from Venice, and were very happy with our Venice Connected card for the Vaporetto. We pre-booked it prior to leaving for Venice, and had a 36 hr pass pre cruise, and a 24 hr pass post cruise. When I ordered it, I received a PIN number via email. I just took it to the Venice Connected point in Pl Roma. This one was right where the vaporetto's board, (so you need to look for the Venice Connected sign). You can not pick up the pass at the general Actv booths that also located in Pl Roma. I know that there are several Venice connected points throughout Venice. There was one at Marco Polo airport, and I also saw one at Piazza San Marco. There are more, check the web site. Don't worry though, if you go to the wrong booth, they will point you to the proper place. We were not able to pick up our pass for the post cruise when we arrived. When we returned to Venice after our cruise, we just went back to the Venice Connected window, showed them our email with the PIN number, and received our 2nd pass. The time starts ticking on the card the minute you pick it up, so don't pick it up in the airport if you don't plan to use it until the next day. Also, you must scan the card in front of the card reader every time you board the vaporetto.

Keep in mind that you can also buy a vaporetto card good for 24, 36, 48 or even 72 hours which is less money then buying the so-called Venice Card. They sell those vaporetto cards at the ACTV office in the Piazale Roma and at other major vaporetto stops such as St Marks Square and the Rialto Bridge.

Hank

Keep in mind that you can also buy a vaporetto card good for 24, 36, 48 or even 72 hours which is less money then buying the so-called Venice Card. They sell those vaporetto cards at the ACTV office in the Piazale Roma and at other major vaporetto stops such as St Marks Square and the Rialto Bridge.

Hank

What is the price difference between the two types of cards?

What is the price difference between the two types of cards?

It is impossible to answer your question because, like many things in Italy, it defies explanation. The Venice Card has actually been replaced by a new product called "Venice Connected." This card has quite a few options which affects its price so you need to look at their web site (http://www.veniceconnected.com) and carefully study its options and pricing. As to the Vaporetto Passes (the Vaporettos are operated by the ACTV) . I think a 2 day vaporetto pass costs 18 Euros for 24 hours, 23 for 36 hours, 28 for 48 hours and 33 for 72 hours. They also sell a 50 Euro 7 day pass.

Hank

It appears that the prices are very comparable for either the Venice Connected card or the hourly pass. I like that there are options, especially since we are docked for 24 hours. We intend to walk, but if we are out and about in the late evening, I think a ride back to the ship might be a wonderful way to wrap up our one night in Venice. Additionally, if you want to venture to one of the outlying islands, the pass covers that transportation also. Sounds like a good deal to me if you add up the cost for each ride. Even better than what the cruise ship offers, however, there is a bit of a walk to the main docking area. The new people mover may assist in the regard, it runs 1E each way.

Happy cruising....Joanne

It appears that the prices are very comparable for either the Venice Connected card or the hourly pass. I like that there are options, especially since we are docked for 24 hours. We intend to walk, but if we are out and about in the late evening, I think a ride back to the ship might be a wonderful way to wrap up our one night in Venice. Additionally, if you want to venture to one of the outlying islands, the pass covers that transportation also. Sounds like a good deal to me if you add up the cost for each ride. Even better than what the cruise ship offers, however, there is a bit of a walk to the main docking area. The new people mover may assist in the regard, it runs 1E each way.

Happy cruising....Joanne

You say there's a bit of walk to the main docking area...do you mean from the vaporetto stop to the ship? And is that where the people mover is? (Is the people mover more than a moving sidewalk?) Thanks for helping me understand!

You say there's a bit of walk to the main docking area...do you mean from the vaporetto stop to the ship? And is that where the people mover is? (Is the people mover more than a moving sidewalk?) Thanks for helping me understand!

The People Mover is a light rapid transit type train (like the type they have at Disney World, or at airports to connect between terminals).

Below is a link to the Marittima port map. The People Mover line is indicated by the green line that runs between Pizzale Roma and Tronchetto, with one stop at the Marittima cruise port. The vaparetto stop is at Piazzale Roma and is shown on the map as "ACTV", but I think it is shown in the wrong place...although I have never been there, from my research it would seem that the vaporetto stop is closer to "Piazzale Roma"...maybe someone else can confirm.

http://www.vtp.it/terminal/crociere.jsp

Archived